When did your weight loss slow to a crawl?

Options
I had RNY on 10/01/2014 my HW was 355, SW 296, CW 186. I am 5'7" and the goal my Dr set is 175. This past month I have only lost 3 lbs. I am exercising daily and on point with diet with the exception of Fathers Day. Can anyone tell me when their weight loss slowed down? How close you were to goal when it happened?
Thanks!

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First, you have done an incredible transformation! I'm right behind you trying to figure out the transition from honeymoon to hard(er) work. RNY 11/03/14, 5'7", I've dropped from 332 to 202, which is more than I probably let myself believe was realistic, but I now believe I can go down about another 20 pounds. My weight dropped steadily for 7 months, with few stalls of short duration. The past month has been much slower and much more erratic - the overall trend is still down, but sometimes I stayed the same or gained over a 1-2 week period. I don't feel like I've gone off the program, so I believe it's a combination of getting closer to whatever a "normal" weight for me will be...there's simply not a lot of easy fat to lose at this point. And I think the honeymoon is ending, my appetite is returning, so my biological engine is settling into it's post surgery norm. I'm trying to keep perspective, I knew it would eventually slow...I trust that if I follow the plan I'll still lose weight, but it might be much, much slower than I've grown used to. The important thing for me is to not think "I'm done" and go back to old habits. I don't need to eat until I feel "full", I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything I'd like to eat, I'm able to excercise with more intensity, I do think I'm mentally in a good place for this next stage. Maybe it will take me 18 months to reach my goal...that's o.k.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When did my weight loss slow down? When I started letting more carbs back in my diet. I still don't eat bread but I've eaten a few more sweets and fruit than before. It's hard to control the carb monster once you let her out of the bag... I also run quite a bit now, which has substantially slowed down my weight loss (seems counterintuitive but that's been my experience).

But the reality is that weight loss will slow down as time goes on - your capacity goes up, calories naturally go up when that happens, and you're burning less calories just by living when you're closer to your goal weight.

I've lost from 323 to 174 since April 2014. I'd like to lose a minimum of 20 more pounds, but ideally closer to 40. I don't have a time limit on my weight loss - I know I'm in this for the long haul so slow progress in the right direction is fine by me.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Week 3 for me. This is week 4 and I did drop a pound this morning. My surgeon told me yesterday to just keep eating protein and veggies and not to worry so much about the calories. Just keep the carbs out unless they are veggie carbs.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @hockey7fan your weight loss hasn't slowed down, you're just in the week 3 stall. Almost everyone goes through it. Hang in there and trust the process.
  • nurserobin37087
    nurserobin37087 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input guys I appreciate it! I have increased exercise quite a bit so maybe its muscle. I will keep plugging away at it!
  • kenmj11
    kenmj11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Of course there will be slow downs a long the way but for me at 9 months it seems to stop and although I had lost about 105 at that time I was still 210 lbs and I really wanted to get to the mythical 199. So I signed up for expensive personal training to commit myself. In 3 months I got to the 190s. I re-upped the personal training for 3 more months and then got to about low 180s and eventually 170s. This was amazing for me as I am 5-10 and had not seen that number for over 25 years.
    So even though you may not need to spend money you may need to change up your routine and recommit to the best diet ever if you want to break through to new goals.

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I've slowed way down at 6 mo. But I'm also only 20lbs away from my goal weight so I was expecting it.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As you're exercising, start tracking your measurements as well as your weight. I do every month through my gym and it is great when you only see the scale drop a pound or 2, but you see 5-6" drop off your measurements. You may very well be converting fat to muscle :)
  • willowmarie12
    willowmarie12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, and to everyone for the info you shared. I am 3 months out and have been wondering the same question. I feel right now that I am starting to have good energy and want to start pushing myself.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal, your scale isn't going to be as friendly or encouraging as at the beginning! I loved those daily losses. I've stopped weighing myself except for once or twice a month, because otherwise I get discouraged. But I'm still losing. I went to my check up at the surgeon this week and I'd lost 25 lbs in the past 3 months! I didn't realize it, because the losses were in such small increments. I'm expecting the next 25 lbs will take longer than 3 months, too.
  • nurserobin37087
    nurserobin37087 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The scale finally moved this morning, lol, another 3 pounds so I was happy about that. I figured it was because I was getting closer to goal, only 10 more pounds to goal! I would love to hit goal by my birthday but I don't think that will happen as its only 21 days away, lol. Thank you all for the input!
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The scale finally moved this morning, lol, another 3 pounds so I was happy about that. I figured it was because I was getting closer to goal, only 10 more pounds to goal! I would love to hit goal by my birthday but I don't think that will happen as its only 21 days away, lol. Thank you all for the input!

I'm happy the scale is moving for you again. I was curious about the responses and outcomes as I am getting closer to goal and was wondering the same thing. Congratulations on your accomplishment so far!
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The honeymoon period for me was over at 7 months after my surgery. I had the surgery December of 2013 and lost 108 lbs. Very happy with that dtill want to lose 20-30 more lbs and have gone up and down about 8 lbs. For all those just having surgery One piece of advice is enjoy this time of loss and not feeling hungry, not thinking about food the desire to eat is gone, the honeymoon will END. In the beginning it is hard sometimes to get the food down and get all your protein in but that is what happens with WLS. Be thankful for it because for me that was the easy part. The surgery was a godsend for me and now a year and half out, I long for the days of always feeling full, not thinking about the food. For me the feelings of what got me in trouble with food in the first place came back, yes the smaller stomach gets fuller faster but the same bad habits can creep up on you. Congratulations to everyone just strating on the journey pre op, and just post op, and those post, post op remember WLS is just a kick start, the rest and long term is up to you. Don't let the "easy and quick" weight loss fool you, it gets harder, so in the beginning when it comes off easier, get and stick too the good habits, and learn to like to excercise. Dont be tempted to see if you can eat something, because it may not effect you adversly and the bad habits will creep back. I wish I got full after a few bites, and no longer think about food, I even wish I had the dumping snydrome more often so it would keep me from eating. For as bad as it was in the beginning me questioning will eating get better, I wish I had those feelings back because it was easier.