Deadlift plateau

Options
FitForL1fe
FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
Ok so this will probably make me sound like a complete *kitten* noob, but here goes.

Hit 360 (conventional, mixed grip) maybe two months ago. Went for 370 two weeks ago and didn't get it the first time (slipped out of my grip). Made another attempt a few days later and I did just barely get to lockout, but my legs were shaking like crazy once I got CLOSE (but not quite) to lockout.

Do I just need to do more pulls at sub-maximal weights or what's up? Suck it up and keep pulling? lol

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Do I just need to do more pulls at sub-maximal weights or what's up? Suck it up and keep pulling? lol

Probably. I struggled with 345 a year and a half ago - shaking and everything. Tried 355 the next week and dropped it right before lockout. Three months later, I had my first PL meet - pulled 355 easy. So I got crazy and went for 410 and got it. The only differences were that I used chalk at the meet and a few more months of work. Oh and maybe a little adrenaline.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Keep pulling sub-maximal. Does it really matter what your 1 RM today is? Definitely not recommended to fail a pull and try again a few days later.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    thanks bros I def appreciate the advice and I'll leave the 1RM attempts behind for a while, maybe try for doubles/triples @ 90%

also starting some hanging pullups (~30s between reps) to work on grip strength
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I only test 1RM maybe once a year. I'm usually in the say, 4-10 rep range. The vast majority of your training should be submaximal work.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    got it man thanks fsho, maybe 4-5 reps @ 80% then
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Agreed on all points...

I never test my 1RM now (That's what comps are for!) and do a lot of heavy Singles\Triples at Submax.. Has to be said though, that's me, as a powerlifter....

A lot depends on goals.. Most people, IMHO do not need to go near their max, Maybe once\twice a year. Those of us who compete, different story (Also different training as well)

In saying that.. Dead hang Pullups could help, Rack Hold's (do a rack pull, hold it for time) would help on grip\lockout, as would Farmers walks, CoC (The Grip trainers....

In saying that, that is specific training, aimed at improving the weak part of the deadlift for 1RM work...

Then again, training in the 4-10 rep range will also improve lockout\grip.... All depends on your goals
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The two areas I would tend to look at first when it comes to a stalled lift would be technique and programming.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    thanks again for the help guys

@CarlKRobbo great advice on all points

@SideSteel I have indeed deviated from my programming (a bit over a year of SS followed by 6 months of 5/3/1) in order to chase 1RMs. I will strongly reconsider my plan moving forward. I train at home so if I get a tripod maybe I can get a form check video to post
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In my experience, deads are one of the worse lifts to try doing at max or near max with any regularity. I pretty much never attempt a 1RM unless its at a meet.

Stick to your programming - the good programs are developed to be the best (and I realize that is context dependent) to increase strength over time. You need to build up work capacity and strengthen your ligaments and tendons as well as the muscle. Getting some good volume in will do that without impairing recovery as much as a 1RM attempt will. I know that when I pull a maximal deadlift it can eff that and other lifts up for a couple of weeks. Necessary at a meet, but not conducive to long term progress if done too often (and imo, too often can be more than 1 - 4 times a year, depending on the circumstances).

Also, make sure to check your form. Post that video you mentioned if you can.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    thanks @Sarauk2sf and @asflatasapancake

for some reason group posts in starred threads don't show up in my notifications so I missed these

I actually started running a Madcow intermediate template after what @SideSteel and @CarlKRobbo told me, and so far it has been beast. squats at the beginning of every workout :mrgreen:

for a form check (esp for a deadlift), what % of max would be most appropriate? like 80% maybe?
  • DopeItUp
    Options

for some reason group posts in starred threads don't show up in my notifications so I missed these

I actually started running a Madcow intermediate template after what @SideSteel and @CarlKRobbo told me, and so far it has been beast. squats at the beginning of every workout :mrgreen:

for a form check (esp for a deadlift), what % of max would be most appropriate? like 80% maybe?

I like to see something like a 5RM (or close to it) usually. You can have the best form in the world with low weight which doesn't mean anything. 5RM will start out fairly easy and will show entrenched form issues. The final rep or two will be hard and show where your form starts to break down under max loads. Kinda best of both worlds. This is just me though.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I like to see something like a 5RM (or close to it) usually. You can have the best form in the world with low weight which doesn't mean anything. 5RM will start out fairly easy and will show entrenched form issues. The final rep or two will be hard and show where your form starts to break down under max loads. Kinda best of both worlds. This is just me though.

cool I like your thinking there

got 300x5 coming up in about a week and a half so I'll prop my phone up on the coffee table or some *kitten* for a form check vid
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Any tall guys got tips on deadlift grip and best stance. I notice it is kinda hard to get a comfortable stance, but I keep a neutral spine and such. I came from 150 lbs to 315 in 4 mounths, but I'm wondering how effective is rest-pausing for deadlifts, and such?
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Any tall guys got tips on deadlift grip and best stance. I notice it is kinda hard to get a comfortable stance, but I keep a neutral spine and such. I came from 150 lbs to 315 in 4 mounths, but I'm wondering how effective is rest-pausing for deadlifts, and such?

Stance and grip is pretty much gonna be trial and error. Tall doesn't really matter much, it depends on how you are proportioned. Relative arm length, torso length, etc. I struggled with conventional for about two years and finally gave up and tried sumo - never looked back. I'm 6'3" with a tall torso and short arms, pretty much the worst configuration possible for conventional. My setup basically had my hips almost as high as my shoulders if I was to keep a neutral back. It was not pretty.

If you went from 150 to 315 in 4 months I'd just keep doing what you're doing. If you get stuck then maybe look into some tricks. Keeping good technique is priority #1 at your stage, IMO. Personally mine just keeps slowly improving over time, whether I'm cutting, maintaining or bulking. All I do is 1x weekly heavy, 1x weekly for volume and that's it. I'm around mid 500s now. It will take a while before progress is a real issue (at least for most people).
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Stance and grip is pretty much gonna be trial and error. Tall doesn't really matter much, it depends on how you are proportioned. Relative arm length, torso length, etc. I struggled with conventional for about two years and finally gave up and tried sumo - never looked back. I'm 6'3" with a tall torso and short arms, pretty much the worst configuration possible for conventional. My setup basically had my hips almost as high as my shoulders if I was to keep a neutral back. It was not pretty.

If you went from 150 to 315 in 4 months I'd just keep doing what you're doing. If you get stuck then maybe look into some tricks. Keeping good technique is priority #1 at your stage, IMO. Personally mine just keeps slowly improving over time, whether I'm cutting, maintaining or bulking. All I do is 1x weekly heavy, 1x weekly for volume and that's it. I'm around mid 500s now. It will take a while before progress is a real issue (at least for most people).

Thanks.