July 1, Day 2

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
I'll get us started here, although Nancy will be getting up any minute now. Hopefully she has some more Grimm to watch.

Here's a question of the day: Have you ever been "in the zone" with your eating habits? I mean, a series of consecutive weeks when you ate well, didn't binge, didn't overeat, didn't obsess about food, just fed yourself good food in the right portions when you were hungry? This is something I need to think about before I answer, because while I think I've had a one or two day streak of this, I'm not sure I've been able to stay in the zone, and it's something I would love to be able to do. Imagine what that looks and feels like!
Probably the closest I've come is when I've done low carb and a lot of my food cravings have gone away. Still, will think and post later (tomorrow).

Good luck with your Day TWO, and first day of July!

K.

Replies

• KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, Nancy, I almost forgot---Yes, I will make you a beaded bracelet as a challenge prize! Here's the challenge--make a salad dressing and post the recipe. I know it's on your list... I want to help save you from dressing volcanoes!

I still need to finish your doll! Took me a long time to figure out what she would look like, but I have a plan now--just need to gather materials.

Xxooo
    K.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    KarenZen wrote: »
    Here's a question of the day: Have you ever been "in the zone" with your eating habits? I mean, a series of consecutive weeks when you ate well, didn't binge, didn't overeat, didn't obsess about food, just fed yourself good food in the right portions when you were hungry?
    K.

Yes I have been in the 'zone' once Karen, and that was last year when I started a 100 day challenge with a group on MFP. There were about 3 of us left at the end of the challenge, but I stuck with it and lost about 20 pounds. I felt great, clothes fit well and was wonderful sitting comfortably in the airplane flying home!! Then.....I went home for Xmas with friends and started to pack those pounds back on!! What a waste!! so far...for the last couple of days I feel I have been in that 'zone again...feel good about exercising, eating right and not overeating, and not unhappy about it either! (and no I am not on drugs...to make me happy either! lol)

Did my treadmill for 45 minutes this am, and had a good breakfast (I am a breakfast kindof person!)

I also told the 'boss' that I am NOT renewing my contract in November...so AZ here I come!! You can imagine my short term goals now!!! (Packing, getting rid of stuff, preparing my cats etc etc)!!! Scary...but doable!!!

And Karen, I am trying to stay off the scales for a month! Let's see how that goes!!

Cheers everyone!

N
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I was in the zone from about May last year til about Jan this year. I seem to be faltering since. But refusing to give up.

Last night I blew it. I was so exhausted after my night shift I blew off the gym and ate pizza, coke, icecream and chocolate. I knew as I was doing it i was being stupid but I was so tired I just didnt care. I've been feeling down for a few days with some of the 'bad thoughts' creeping in and I guess I just reverted to my old bad habits and sought solace in food.

Today I dont feel well. I'm hot and out of sorts and feel sick and I know its because of last night's binge. Which I was so angry about I didnt even log it. I'm still feeling quite down and blue too.

But I refuse to feel sorry for myself. I have decided on a dress for my sisters wedding in September and would like to order it in an 18 (UK) not the current 20 I am floating at so I am regrouping. One bad night doesnt define me. Will post some pictures of it in another thread as a kick up the butt.

I am also dropping my cals to about 1700 though Im keeping it loose and can go over if I have done plenty exercise. It shouldnt be too tough as Im quitting my habit of eating about 300 a day in chocolate. Ive bought some weight watchers mini rolls and can have one a day at 80 cals each. And Im going back to the gym tonight as the endorphins always help my mood if for no other reason
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon, other side of the pond dwellers.
    I woke up wondering what it will take to get back in the zone. I think the only time I've been there was this spring, right after surgery, when I had little to no appetite. "Feeling Hungry" is overwhelming to me for some reason (no doubt rooted in childhood trauma---I blame my mother, LOL!!!).
    I'd like to get back to that feeling of satiety, and I know high protein/low carb works best for my body. Not likely I'll get there this week as we have company in and out plus a big July 4 party, but I'll set my goal for next Monday as a detox from carbs day. I love that "zone"!

Nancy, congrats on your decision to mess--asounds like it's time.

Lise, love the dress and the whole "look" you're going for.

Xxoo
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, Nancy, "your decision to mess"??? no idea what autocorrect did there... maybe I meant "move"?

So I'm over in the For the M O thread just now suggesting to Cari that while in Vegas she should take her pleasure from the activities and not the food, and then I'm making my own plans to eat junk this week as part of our extended July 4 party, bbq, houseguests extravaganza...

PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF!

I'm going to rip a page out of my own playbook here and make sure I choose my food wisely during this holiday. We have a big 4th party, and I usually have enough sweets to make a herd of elephants diabetic, but I just changed my shopping list and will do a big fruit salad, a sugar free dessert, and the must-have birthday cake for Jim's sister. I'm already doing grilled chicken kebabs, a quinoa salad, roasted veggies, Greek salad, etc.--very healthy fare--but the real kicker is my decision to NOT spend the day in the kitchen. I'm asking for help! My houseguests can help me prep tomorrow and Friday, so I can focus on ACTIVITIES on the 4th--swimming, playing corn hole, having a water balloon fight, floating in the lake, shooting off fireworks... In other words:
    TAKE YOUR PLEASURE FROM THE ACTIVITIES, AND LET THE FOOD JUST BE FOOD.
    This is my new mantra for staying in the zone.

Way, way, way too many times, I took my pleasure (guilty pleasure that I beat myself up over!) from the food. Or I tried to sneak eat so no one would know how many sweets I was shoving down my throat. Or I would binge on the leftovers after the party. This time I'm going to focus on what's really important--spending time with my awesome friends and family. I can still enjoy feeding them--by feeding them healthier food--but I don't have to make that my priority role.

Make sense?

Okay, now I really need to log off. Two girlfriends from Boston are arriving shortly. They've been friends of mine and my sister since infancy, so 50 years! Crazy! Crazy wonderful!

Xxoo
    K
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!!! Happy day 2. Yesterday was rough for me. I did some personal things yesterday and actually sent Reggie a very long email as he put it, chewing him out via email. Oh well... he deserved it and I was tired of the BS. I am stillnot sure if he got the point or not. I was on track all day till I got home and there sat chocolate donuts with chocolate icing. I ended up eating one. Enjoyed it immensely. Savored every bite. But it is done and over with. I posted my goals in the day 1 thread. This is going to be a busy month for me. Vacation and appointments out the wazoo.

I told a few of the women I work with about this group along with the other 2 groups I belong to. At least 2 of them should be joining one or more of the groups shortly.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Yesterday was a solid day for me. I managed to eat well and I played a few hours of basketball last night. I ended up feeling a little sick though. The place where we normally play was busy so we headed to our backup location, but the AC wasn't working. I may not currently be experiencing Nancy temperatures, but the 101 we had here was plenty to make the gym uncomfortably hot and muggy. Hopefully our normal place will be clear next time so I don't get that heat sick feeling haha. Today I am feeling good about as well. I have my packed lunch here at work with me and I am ready to go.

Karen, I do know what that zone feels like. Last summer I was on top of my game. Good food choices were a cakewalk and I was playing tennis basketball or racquetball 5 days a week. I lost quite a bit of weight and my calves looked absolutely amazing haha. I hit a bit of a wall when my last semester of my undergrad started up. I am feeling good about where I am now and where I am heading though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was good. Stayed off the scale, got 100 oz of fluids, ate on plan, didn't take pictures yet, but did blog this am... Was a good one. Exhausted now! LOL

As for being in the zone, I feel kind of like that is where I am and have been most of this year. I have been on plan with reasonable compliance. I have over eaten, but nothing off plan. I have binged (bacon....yes, bacon. And homemade chocolate mousse, but not enough to knock me off plan. And UGH, those devilish strawberry cheese cake dessert things...ugh, those made me want to eat a house!). I have obsessed about food (read the above binge notes), but despite all this, with my WOE keeping the cravings manageable, binges are manageable, and my brain periodically functions.

So, despite all of this, I do feel in the zone and I have fed myself well. I didn't eat any of the old bingy danger foods, and the few times I've allowed in a morsel of 5 of foods I'm restricting, it wasn't what I wanted/missed/craved. So my whole concept of Zone is changing.

(For those of you who don't know, I am eating low carb, high fat, moderate protein at doctor request, though the details of my way of eating (WOE) are my own spin.)

So fun to read on everyone, but trying to not write novels everywhere, so I'll leave off now.

Carly
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Well I have been for a run. Disappointed I dropped to an average pace of 6.92km/h but that is mostly heat i think as it was hard going today. Plus Ive not eaten much. Dont know if its the heat but I cant face food today
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I need a re-set on my Day 2. Completely derailed by so many things today! Old friends arrived with armloads of baked goods. Too cold and rainy for lake swim. Terrible food choices. I'll try to salvage "maintenance," but I am wiped out! GAH.

Lise, like you, my food hangover is awful. I'm bloated and lethargic. Sugar and processed carbs are NOT my friends. They're really poisonous to me, and I need to remember this feeling.

Tonight I'll try to flush out with water and tomorrow will have a detox day.

Hope the rest of you did better!

Xxoo
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Decided to revisit this and re-examine.

Today I was really vulnerable. Apparently yesterday I had enough amitriptyline in my system to stave off the pain, but not today. Today was crippling and horrifying, including twice while trying to rise from a chair, my right leg just gave out--collapsed and went numb. So trigger number 1 for eating was pain and anxiety.

Trigger number two was social--3 of the 4 women with whom I spent the afternoon (my sister, two of our childhood friends, a friend of my sister's) just don't "get" me, and instead of being blunt and turning down the outing, I spent six hours pretending to enjoy myself. And being fake is something I LOATHE. The reality is, and this may sound arrogant, but I outpaced them years and years ago in terms of education and exposure to the world. I also learned to LISTEN and not constantly interrupt to go off on another tangent, getting progressively louder--so yeah, a shouting match. I watched my sister, and she also went silent when it became obvious that in order to tell a story, she would have to out-shout the others.

Finally, trigger 3, my sister requested the baked goods (one of the friends is a baker). I should have asked her to immediately put them aside, somewhere I wouldn't see or have easy access to, because I am a sugar addict in recovery and I get to have a "clean" house. The irony? My sister is an insulin dependent diabetic BULIMIC in recovery... hmmmm.... HELLO???

So yes, crappy day with crappy choices. But a good lesson learned. My sister is an AWESOME fake friend, big smiles, big laughs, big hugs... then she goes home and chain smokes and binge eats and makes herself vomit, so everyone LOVES her, but she hates herself. I'm not good at faking, and I think when a similar situation arises, I'll speak my mind and actually say "no baked goods in my house please" or "it's terribly rude of you to interrupt every time I speak; please be as courteous in listening to me as I am to you."

My shrink would call this "setting boundaries," something I'm not very good at doing. Honestly, I am an awesome friend!!!! I need to reserve my awesomeness for people who appreciate it and treat me as the goddess I am.

Maybe we should ALL do this. Surround ourselves with people who love us fully---who appreciate our best qualities and embrace our flaws.

Today would have been a better day if the sun had been shining and we could have done some lake activities or some crafting in the studio.

Well now that I've spewed all that out, sorry about the freaking novel here!, I need to let it go!

Thank you all for your comments on "the zone." I hope we can all find it and stay there. I imagine it as a place of SERENITY.

Xxoo
    K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Karen, Karen, Karen!! I swear we are on the same page!! When I was reading about the impending visit of your childhood friends, I was wondering why 'boundaries' about food were not set before their visit!! Or why they knew what you have gone thru, so why not bring healthier food?? We are like addicts our selves....addict to certain foods that trigger us...and sugar is mine!! (Would be nice to be addicted to Veggies...but not me!! lol) I can relate to your post in so many ways and levels!! (Maybe we are distant relatives!! lol)

and you are NOT alone in this journey!! We are all in it!! Just don't let this ONE day screw up your journey...OK so it was a little 'detour'.....sort of like you ran into a 'deadend' street...back up, and put your self in 'forward gear' and move on!! YOU can do this....Hell you have been doing it!!! Just wish there was a way to take your pain away so you could get out and be more active!

Well...I am late for work, and just thought I would look on the board and see if anyone posted!!

Karen....tomorrow will be a much better day....AND YOU CAN TAKE CONTROL of the situation!! Be nice...you do not want to regret what you may say (that is my experience speaking). I can be very straight forward and say it like it is...and that is not always the best thing to do!! Some folks can't handle that 'frankness'. So perhaps if things get uncomfortable for you....you can FAKE an exit, and leave their company and do something else!! Fake an appointment and get yourself out of the environment and do something for YOU!!

Have a great sleep and a wonderful Day 3!!! Mine has started!! and then my weekend begins!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh Nancy, great advice in your message. Thank you for all of it!

And yes, today is a new day full of healthy possibilities!

Xxoo
    K
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karen, let me tell you, if you haven't seen the movie "The Gambler" with Mark Wahlberg in it, it is worth doing for one scene alone (you might be able to YouTube it...dunno, haven't tried). John Goodman plays a really evil loan shark, but he has the best mental perspective. He gives a speech on being in a position of "F#^% You." Someone does something you don't like, F you. Boss makes you mad, F You, etc. In your case, fake friends being their moronic selves, F you!!!! Anyway, it is worth seeing if you can find the speech because it is brilliant. The rest of the movie was slow and ridiculous and boring. But that speech made it worth it.

The reason that these people don't respect your, your needs, your boundaries, and all of that is because they are not okay with themselves. Your sister's issues, I won't touch, but I would guess that her binging/purging system is worse/stronger when she's around you for long. She sees you making progress and fighting for yourself, and that just reinforces her sense of weakness and lack of control. With the friends, maybe baking is the only thing they are good at, so their identity is wrapped up in their baking, so someone rejecting the baking for health reasons is still seen as rejecting all of who they are for whiny, punk @$$ reasons. People are so flawed, and the more pretentious and messed up they are, the more they project their issues onto someone else.

I'm thrilled that you went through all of that and found your triggers and reasons. Now, eradicate those today. Move the items out of sight. If you can't do that because you'd *know* where they are, then pay Skippy to go move everything for you with the other teen boys back to their "sleeping cabin" or whatever. Stand up for yourself, even if it makes you uncomfortable or everyone else. Enlist your husband to help. Whatever it takes because putting you back is just not acceptable...

HUGS all around.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    No one puts Baby in the corner!

• catladyksa
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well said Carly!!! Karen.....here's to a better day for you!! Take Control!!! (and figure out how to put your photo upright!!! You are giving me neck pain!! lol)