Opinion on seafood....

Options
_Virgo_
_Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
How do people feel about Fresh Fish vs Frozen fish? Is there really a difference? I've only ever bought fresh...but I was thinking of trying it...just afraid it will alter the taste too much. Thoughts?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen fish because that's really only what's available here except the fresh trout we catch in the river. I don't find there's any difference really. I would PREFER wild fresh caught salmon but most of the time my bank account goes mmmm no....frozen is good lol
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    That's funny because I've only ever done frozen! The idea of fresh fish scares me when I'm the one having to cook it! :)
  • _Virgo_
    Options
    I buy frozen fish because that's really only what's available here except the fresh trout we catch in the river. I don't find there's any difference really. I would PREFER wild fresh caught salmon but most of the time my bank account goes mmmm no....frozen is good lol

Yeah...the money aspect is what has me wanting to try it out. I love Haddock...but it's not exactly the cheapest. lol

• SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different tastes. Why don't you get a small little package of frozen fish and see! :)

Personally I'm fine with fresh or frozen fish (prefer it to be very fresh either way). When you're talking about other seafood like oysters though, I insist on fresh or I do without.
  • _Virgo_
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    That's funny because I've only ever done frozen! The idea of fresh fish scares me when I'm the one having to cook it! :)

So do you cook it while it's still frozen?

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Essentially, the stuff that is frozen is supposed to be the exact same, just flash frozen. That being said, if I don't live close enough to the water source, I'm not buying fresh. So, since I'm landlocked in Oklahoma, unless it is an uber reliable name brand fish that's vacuum sealed, I am NOT buying fresh.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    _Virgo_ wrote: »

I do! Depending on the fish, I usually cook it on around 375-400 degrees for about 20 minutes, but I start checking at around 15 minutes. I will generally let it cook for around 10 minutes, and then take it out to add any seasonings that I want to add.

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A seafood counter guy once told me, and I think I've read this elsewhere, that unless it's really expensive and says on the label that it has never been frozen, it probably was frozen as quickly as possible after being caught, then thawed at the counter.

I ran across side-by-side fresh vs frozen Sockeye Salmon recently. The never-frozen stuff was flown in from Alaska (to Texas), and three times the price. I cheerfully bought the frozen stuff. If I win the lottery I'll try the wild caught stuff, or better yet, I'll visit Alaska at the beginning of salmon season.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    _Virgo_ wrote: »

I buy the kind that is frozen in individual vacuum sealed packages. I put the whole package in cold water to thaw it.
    If you put lemon or lime juice on fish it cooks faster so be aware of that and check it before the allowed cooking time for that reason.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I live in a big city and eat fresh salmon a few times a week...

Mmmmm
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Frozen (unless it was swimming in a lake earlier that day). I try to just buy wild-caught seafood, avoid the farmed and Atlantic varieties.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Frozen fish come apart too much like sawdust compared to fresh the flakes apart

But it costs a bit more

Part of eating healthy for me is making healthy taste good!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I prefer fresh but I eat frozen shrimp. The best fish I've eaten was fish I caught and ate as soon as possible. A few times I've been on a boat with a grill and we ate the fish within minutes of being caught - doesn't get much better than that.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    A seafood counter guy once told me, and I think I've read this elsewhere, that unless it's really expensive and says on the label that it has never been frozen, it probably was frozen as quickly as possible after being caught, then thawed at the counter.

This happens in Australia. Unless you buy it at the fish markets or straight off the trawler, it's already been frozen.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I like it either fresh or frozen. I generally thaw the frozen seafood in the refrigerator a couple of hours before cooking.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I always buy fresh
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the texture difference is the main thing, a little bit taste too, even fish I have vacuum packed and frozen from fresh. Fresh is best!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I love cod fresh $9.99 a lb, 3.99 a lb frozen. We get away with a lb for dinner. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Fresh is the best, but frozen in areas that it's shipped to is best. I'm so glad I live close to the gulf of Mexico! Love fresh gulf seafood bought right off the boats at the dock!
  • _Virgo_
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses!! I do realize a lot of it is flash frozen at sea and then thawed out later..which I hear preserves it best, which is fine by me. I could have been a bit more definitive by frozen...what I meant by that was the vacuum sealed ones...I wasn't sure how those would taste in comparison.