What's your favorite offal recipe?

Options
Cheesy567
Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
I love pâté and simmered gizzards the most, but need some inspiration! What's your favorite way to have offal?

Replies

• keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I love pâté and simmered gizzards the most, but need some inspiration! What's your favorite way to have offal?
    Oh, me too! I had homemade pâté on Japanese icicle radish slices for breakfast, and it was so yummy!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I <3 liver and bacon! I'm also hoping to try out some paleo steak and kidney pie recipes in the near future...
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Chicken liver & gizzards simmered in bacon fat with onion, mushrooms and garlic.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't have much access to different kinds of offal. I'd like to try many more things. I like my liver fried in bacon grease, only just barely cooked. Overcooking makes it gross.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't have much access to different kinds of offal. I'd like to try many more things. I like my liver fried in bacon grease, only just barely cooked. Overcooking makes it gross.
    Same here. Chicken livers fried in bacon grease is about as far as I can manage.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Chicken liver & gizzards simmered in bacon fat with onion, mushrooms and garlic.

That sounds *offally* good...
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken livers that are tossed with tumeric, garlic and onion powder. I also grill mushrooms quartered and onion chunks with that. It is delicious.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet come to like chicken livers... but love the beef or wild animal livers.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ooo! Pick me! My dad makes a liver, bacon and kidneys that's delicious! I made this yesterday: fry an onion and some bacon. Once cooked put aside (I used a warm pan). Fry sliced liver until cooked both sides (a bit like a medium rare steak- if you over cook they go super tough), remove from pan and slice into smaller pieces, add to warm pan. Fry your kidneys (double check how to cut them - you don't eat the hard white bit in the center). Add the onion, bacon and liver back in and add water to just cover. Simmer till kidneys and liver are cooked through. Flavor the liquid: my da uses oxo and then corn flour to thicken it, I used gravey stock but feel free to use whatever you like best (if using real beef stock use in place of water). Boom its delicious.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have the cookbook called Yiddish Kitchen. It's a Paleo Jewish foods cookbook. The chicken liver recipe is really good. You fry 1 lb of liver in schmaltz (chicken fat) and mix in 1/2 a chopped onion and 2 hard boiled eggs.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    I have the cookbook called Yiddish Kitchen. It's a Paleo Jewish foods cookbook. The chicken liver recipe is really good. You fry 1 lb of liver in schmaltz (chicken fat) and mix in 1/2 a chopped onion and 2 hard boiled eggs.

Ooh, that sounds good. Do you make your own schmalz? (If so, how?)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Homesweets, when i make chicken broth, I reserve the fat for cooking. I usually chill the broth and then it is easy to skim the schmaltz off the top.