Weight loss wardrobes

Options
camblin
camblin Posts: 38 Member
I am curious about what tricks other people use to keep their wardrobes acceptable while losing weight. I found someone who does alterations, and use a lot of swingy tops and jackets that kind of hide baggy pants, but I am sure the other non-sewing folks on here have some great strategies for looking neat and professional while losing weight.

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I never buy pants with side pockets and I go more for slimmer leg, ankle length type.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am actually a sewer, but elastic was my friend, that and strategically placed safety pins.
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I note the size and brand of items that work on my body, and buy the same items one size smaller on ebay. For casual trips around town, I wear leggings, a tank, and a mans shirt with the sleeves rolled up. The longer shirt hides problem areas, and is great for going in/out of air conditioning.

Classic simple dresses, for the office & church. I change the looks with my accessories - jewelry, scarves, shoes and belts. There are also books on how to create a very full wardrobe with a minimal amount of pieces. It's really not hard, it just takes a LOT of discipline while shopping B)
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I have also had luck in getting some temporary clothes at Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Not my usual shopping places, but you'll be really surprised what you find there. Some items will still have original tags.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have always worn elastic waist skirts. My weight loss didn't mean different clothes; I just looked better!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    From 2 or 3XL shirts to Medium there was no making it work

Pants from 44 to 33 or 32 depending on cut. Same thing

I bought some 36 to 38 pants, just a few

I got a few cheap L shirts

But it is a whole new wardrobe and even shoes.

It is good to need but just rediculous to buy all new clothes.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I am making do by adding some inexpensive stuff as absolutely needed. When I hit goal I will revamp.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @BRaye325 lol, if you were female, you would be getting my clothes I never got to wear! I went up and down so fast I blew through a few sizes.
    @camblin I am thankful that I am more or less self employed and almost all of my work is over the internet so I can wear whatever. I will say stretch pants/leggings are wonderful things with long tunic tops, but those probably will not work in a professional setting. What about dresses with belts?
  • camblin
    Options
    "I went up and down so fast I blew through a few sizes."---LOL! I raided a closet of my old clothes and discovered plenty of 18s and plenty of 12s...but no 16s or 14s, which made me wonder what I wore to work through those sizes.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    As I gained weight and had to buy larger clothes, I started looking like a homeless man - buying shirts too large to hide the rolls of fat, and pants with stretch waist bands, all from Goodwill. Once I started losing, I started shopping in my closet and every time something that used to fit me was fitting me again, I rejoiced! Now I've gotten lackadaisical, and need to get back on track.
  • camblin
    Options
    I promised my daughter when we both got to our goal size, we would go to a big city and I would buy us both new clothes. I hope that is enough to keep us motivated! In the meantime, I am rehoning my bargain-hunting skills, and when something gets too big for me, I pass it down to her. She likes getting the "new" clothes, and it makes it seem less silly to buy a pair of slacks that will only fit for a few weeks.
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else out there afraid to get rid of clothes that are too big. I just can't force myself to give them away even though I hope I never wear them again.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm never going back - mine are gone!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I'm never going back - mine are gone!
    I agree. I don't want the option of having a choice to go up in size.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MSDave wrote: »
    Is anyone else out there afraid to get rid of clothes that are too big. I just can't force myself to give them away even though I hope I never wear them again.

I have given away a few items....those that are at least 2 sizes up from where I am now. I understand your reluctance though. I was/am also afraid, with so many yoyo's behind me, but this time it feels different and I am finding the letting go easier. Start small (XLg) and get rid of a few items that you didn't like much anyway, or that never really looked good on you. As you become more confident, you (and I) will be ready to donate it all!! Good luck.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Nope, they are gone. Fat is not an option. Keeping them just meant, it might be an option. NO NO NO NO
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I, too, had 16s & 18s, then 10s and smaller. Absolutely no 14s or 12s. I gave away everything over size 10, some of it only worn a few times over a few weeks. I don't know why I keep the 10s, except that always used to be my "big" size. Nope, never going above that again.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just shopped in my closet...I was so sick of wearing the same 3 things every day to work...well now EVERYTHING except one or two items fits...!!! I threw away the 'fat' stuff...never again will I wear them. And I still am not at my goal!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Slowly getting to the end size

Just look for things on sale !
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is my best friend!! I've gone from 3X to 14/16 in the past year. I have 3 goodwill stores I can check on a regular basis. Lots of stuff new/almost new at great prices. All my workout clothes are from there too and that dri-fit type fabric is $$ in retail stores.