Keto Roast Dinner ideas?

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
My DH is craving a Roast Dinner. So i'm going to get a beautiful Rib of Beef for the joint, but not sure what to serve with it.

Does anyone have any ideas for some nice keto-friendly roast dinner sides? Obviously roast potatoes & yorkshire puddings are out, but there must be something tastier than plain boiled veg to go with it?

And does anyone have a nice keto gravy recipe?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can use xantham gum in most gravy recipes that call for corn starch, but usually I just make more of an au jus complimented/blended with melted butter.

For veggies - I do roasted asapargus, steamed broccoli with cheese and butter, sauteed green beans in bacon drippings with bacon bits, almonds, and a dab of butter to finish it, and someone here had a brussels sprouts recipe with butter, soy sauce, and cheddar I'm dying to try. I also do a cabbage saute, but I can't see that being an easy pairing to roast.

You could always do traditional veggies and just keep it for stock...whatever the rest of your crew doesn't eat.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I made a roast pork shoulder last night, very simple, just brushed with 3 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp minced garlic, salt and pepper. Smelled incredible. It finished too late for me to try it, but it will be dinner tonight. I did get a crusty bit that was stuck to the roasting rack when I was about to clean it. Couldn't let that little piece of heaven go in the trash. Oh my gosh, delicious. I made a gravy, but I did use a little bit of arrowroot as a thickener, which I just read today actually has a lot of carbs... but what I read said 16g carbs per cup of the stuff, and I couldn't have used more than 1/2 tsp. I didn't try the gravy, but my family all liked the sample I gave them. I heated up the pan juices, scraped up the burnt bits, added chicken broth, simmered in the pan with the little bit of arrowroot powder.

You could try mashed cauliflower in lieu of mashed potatoes. It won't taste the same, of course, but the texture's not bad, and with a good gravy, it would probably taste pretty good. Maybe some oven-broiled asparagus, broccolini or another green vegetable would be a nice accompaniment. The same olive oil/garlic/salt/pepper treatment would work just fine for the veggie. Good luck!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You can use xantham gum in most gravy recipes that call for corn starch, but usually I just make more of an au jus complimented/blended with melted butter.

For veggies - I do roasted asapargus, steamed broccoli with cheese and butter, sauteed green beans in bacon drippings with bacon bits, almonds, and a dab of butter to finish it, and someone here had a brussels sprouts recipe with butter, soy sauce, and cheddar I'm dying to try. I also do a cabbage saute, but I can't see that being an easy pairing to roast.

You could always do traditional veggies and just keep it for stock...whatever the rest of your crew doesn't eat.

Oooh, DH says YES to Broccoli Cheese! What a great idea, Knit. Could i have your recipe please, sweetie?

And sauteed green beans & asparagus in bacon grease sound perfect.

I think i'll add some wilted spinach.

Mmmmm... i'll keep producing keto versions of DHs cravings if they all sound this yummy!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Recipe for???

Broccoli? Prepare as you prefer - top with butter, shredded or sliced cheese, salt, and pepper to taste> ;)

Green breads: Cut 4-6 rashers of bacon (to taste on quantity) into a pan. Crisp up. Toss in fresh green beans (frozen can work too - just cook less). Saute to softened. Toss in slivered almonds. Saute for a few minutes. Melt in a TBSP of butter or two for taste. Toss. Salt and pepper to taste.

For "au jus?" Just put a cup of broth in the bottom of the pan to catch baking drippings. Add in a pat or 3 of butter, depending on volume. Simmer to reduce while roast is resting. Season to taste...

Asparagus, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper. Roast at high temp until crispy on edges / caramelized.

Roast, rub down in olive oil or coconut oil, salt, pepper, shove some salt and garlic cloves in holes in roast if you prefer. Baste and roast for 1-3 hours depending on temp to proper internal temp (for rare/medium, etc.). Temps are different there, so I'm too lazy to convert!

If there is something else, just holler.
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I roast any meat, there is an onion, stalk of celery and a carrot and maybe garlic cloves in the pan underneath. When I take the meat out to rest, I drain off excess fat and put pan on burner. At this point, I USED to add flour. Now I slightly mash the veg and juices together, add stock or broth and wine, if using, and let it bubble away.
    It never gets thick, but has just a tiny bit more viscosity than au jus. I strain out the veg and serve. It might have a few carbs by volume, because of carrots, onion and wine, but it can't be much. And the taste! And the nutrients!!(or so I tell myself)
    Unless you are zero carbing, it should be fine. I leave the carrot unpeeled, just washed. And I love cauliflower mash with a roast, but I roast it, in bacon or coconut oil, just smash it a bit and plate it. I did all this before beginning to log, and rarely cook now, so I didn't figure out the actual carbs.
    But now I want a pork or lamb roast. My mouth is actually watering.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and that's all I do. I made steaks in butter with those ^^ green beans the other night. Fiance had a slice of whole grain buttered toast with his, and I was in heaven. Last night was burgers - his on ciabatta and mine without...he had potato wedges (I ate 4 tiny ones).... I don't make special meals, but I might make a carby side for him.

If in doubt, I just look up and google "Keto ____ Recipe." for whatever I want to cook. Trust me, there's always one out there of some kind. Just trust your judgment if something sounds totally crappy. I made a recipe that marinaded in a sauce with 1/4 of sesame oil. It was inedible. And I should have known!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    When I roast any meat, there is an onion, stalk of celery and a carrot and maybe garlic cloves in the pan underneath. When I take the meat out to rest, I drain off excess fat and put pan on burner. At this point, I USED to add flour. Now I slightly mash the veg and juices together, add stock or broth and wine, if using, and let it bubble away.
    It never gets thick, but has just a tiny bit more viscosity than au jus. I strain out the veg and serve. It might have a few carbs by volume, because of carrots, onion and wine, but it can't be much. And the taste! And the nutrients!!(or so I tell myself)
    Unless you are zero carbing, it should be fine. I leave the carrot unpeeled, just washed. And I love cauliflower mash with a roast, but I roast it, in bacon or coconut oil, just smash it a bit and plate it. I did all this before beginning to log, and rarely cook now, so I didn't figure out the actual carbs.

Essentially, that's just a quick and dirty amped up stock for the sauce. Sounds FABULOUS!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I made a roast pork shoulder last night, very simple, just brushed with 3 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp minced garlic, salt and pepper. Smelled incredible. It finished too late for me to try it, but it will be dinner tonight. I did get a crusty bit that was stuck to the roasting rack when I was about to clean it. Couldn't let that little piece of heaven go in the trash. Oh my gosh, delicious. I made a gravy, but I did use a little bit of arrowroot as a thickener, which I just read today actually has a lot of carbs... but what I read said 16g carbs per cup of the stuff, and I couldn't have used more than 1/2 tsp. I didn't try the gravy, but my family all liked the sample I gave them. I heated up the pan juices, scraped up the burnt bits, added chicken broth, simmered in the pan with the little bit of arrowroot powder.

You could try mashed cauliflower in lieu of mashed potatoes. It won't taste the same, of course, but the texture's not bad, and with a good gravy, it would probably taste pretty good. Maybe some oven-broiled asparagus, broccolini or another green vegetable would be a nice accompaniment. The same olive oil/garlic/salt/pepper treatment would work just fine for the veggie. Good luck!

I used to use Arrowroot & Tapioca Flour a lot after going Paleo, before switching to keto, but like you i realised that they were both more carb heavy than id realised. Sad times. I loved my gluten-free flours. I knocked up so many gorgeous bakes using them, most of which we preferred to the wheat flour versions.

Cauliflower mash is a really nice idea. I prefer cauli mash to spuds when i boil the cauli in stock & 1 clove garlic for flavor and then mash with cream cheese, butter & lots of salt n pepper. Mmmm, im drooling thinking about it!

So it looks like i'll be doing Roasted Rib of Beef with Broccoli Cheese, Wilted Spinach, Sauteed Green Beans, Cauli Mash n keto gravy if i can find a decent recipe using Guar Gum or something.

Wow, sounds like a feast! I'll probably only be able to have a tiny taste of most of it, as i can see the calories/carbs adding up, but if i have mostly meat and just a wee baby portion of all the trimmings, i think i'll be able to make it fit into my cals/macros.

One day i'd love to be able to eat a full meal to satiety. I miss that cozy, full-tummy feeling, but right now im having to limit myself to what id term as a child's portion - i use a small side plate b/c a normal dinner plate looks so empty. Even a side plate shows more plate surface than food. Is it just me or is anyone else having to limit their portion sizes so dramatically to try to lose weight? (being only 5ft tall is no fun!)
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cauli mash with loads of butter is pretty delicious. Maybe some mustard too.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Recipe for???

Broccoli? Prepare as you prefer - top with butter, shredded or sliced cheese, salt, and pepper to taste> ;)

Green breads: Cut 4-6 rashers of bacon (to taste on quantity) into a pan. Crisp up. Toss in fresh green beans (frozen can work too - just cook less). Saute to softened. Toss in slivered almonds. Saute for a few minutes. Melt in a TBSP of butter or two for taste. Toss. Salt and pepper to taste.

For "au jus?" Just put a cup of broth in the bottom of the pan to catch baking drippings. Add in a pat or 3 of butter, depending on volume. Simmer to reduce while roast is resting. Season to taste...

Asparagus, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper. Roast at high temp until crispy on edges / caramelized.

Roast, rub down in olive oil or coconut oil, salt, pepper, shove some salt and garlic cloves in holes in roast if you prefer. Baste and roast for 1-3 hours depending on temp to proper internal temp (for rare/medium, etc.). Temps are different there, so I'm too lazy to convert!

Thanks Knit. For the jus do you put the cup of stock in the roasting tin whilst you're cooking the meat or after?
    Sorry for being slow. I love to cook but ive never done a roast dinner, believe it or not. Im more of a baker or a 1 pot wonder!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options

Oh wow. Thanks for this, Jenny. I'll be attempting this tomorrow for sure. I would normally be worried about the veggies (i know, neurotic, but ive been nixing every carb possible that isnt entirely necessary lately in an attempt to get some fat loss going) but im starting calorie cycling tomorrow and its going to be my higher calorie day, so i think this meal will be perfect. (Im not upping my carbs though, just my calories)

Yay thanks all. My body is sighing in relief at the thought of a complete, nourishing adult-sized dinner, every other day :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've just recently discovered that radishes can be roasted.... 100g only has 3g of carbs.
  • Nellpop
    Nellpop Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did a yummy roast recently with roasted peppers, zucchini and mushrooms thrown in cauliflower cous cous with baby spinach - not a traditional roast but yum!

(First time trying to post a pic so sorry if I mess it up!)

ayd99x3icb2c.jpg
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and brussels sprouts...yessss
    You can probably toss them in the pan with the roast, too. Bet that would infuse them nicely.

-T.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Roast broccoli is to die for. It's nutty and DELICIOUS!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I do roasts all the time. So easy. Cook the veges in the oven with the roast.

Roasted asparagus with garlic and butter (put in the oven for last 15 mins of roasting time).
    Broccoli with butter/cheese (steamed works nicely too).
    Cauliflower with cheese sauce.
    Roasted zucchini.
    Creamed spinach.
    Roasted mushrooms with garlic and butter.
    Roasted capsicum. (Can be a bit carby but fit it into your macros.)

I rarely bother with gravy. Pan juices or butter work just as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Recipe for???

Thanks Knit. For the jus do you put the cup of stock in the roasting tin whilst you're cooking the meat or after?
    Sorry for being slow. I love to cook but ive never done a roast dinner, believe it or not. Im more of a baker or a 1 pot wonder!

Yes, while roasting to catch the pan drippings so they don't cook off...
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts roasted with bits of bacon. I've used slices of zucchini or eggplant as a bed for roasting chicken to soak up the rendered fat. I'm going to have to try the radish & bacon thing. With any of these it's a personal choice to decide what quantity of carbs fits into what you decide to eat.
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do these, they're a bit of a faff but worth it in the end! purewow.com/entry_detail/national/8030/Crispy-prosciutto-wrapped-cauliflower.htm#_a5y_p=1053914