Protein Powder

Options
susiean437
susiean437 Posts: 34 Member
In some of my online research, I found some people where using very low carb protein powder and adding some fat as a change to just eggs for breakfast. I found one person who actually made bulletproof coffee, and then added protein powder and cold water. Does anyone on here use it. I know it seems to be controversial. But I'm curious if anyone has used it and found it kicked them out of keto. Or had good luck with it.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I used to always drink protein shakes but since going keto I get extremely nauseated and almost immediately need to run to the bathroom. It's weird because I had no issues before....
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize Nutrition Iso-100 protein powder post-workout mixed with unsweetened almond-coconut milk. I only have a half scoop because my limits on everything are so low.
    Sometimes I make it into an evening meal by adding extra fats to it. I just do that when I'm feeling super duper lazy and don't feel like chewing. I'm weird like that. I blame the TMJ...

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Unless your body is extremely sensitive or you are eating excessive amounts - 100+ grams of extra protein is very unlikely to kick you out of keto, no matter the form. However, if you know your body converts a lot of protein to glucose, this might be of concern - or if you are severely metabolically challenged. However, if you are only using this to achieve your protein goal range, you are very unlikely to encounter issues. Will you expand upon your concern?

Also, if using BPC to stay in a fast, adding protein defeats that purpose. I think the key to staying in that fasting state is no sweeteners/sugar, no carbs, and less than 10-15 grams of protein. Anything more than that is identified by most metabolisms as FOOD...and it starts up the whole process. BPC is typically used to help continue a fasted state.
  • susiean437
    Options
    I actually was looking for another option for breakfast. My carbs are normally well below 15grams / day. I found a protein that is sweetened with stevia that is all natural. I am going to mix it to my bulletproof coffee on mornings when I don't want eggs. I will rotate the days. My concern was using anything that wasn't considered real food stopping me from achieving and continuing in ketosis. Since I'm just a newbie I don't want to derail before I begin. lol Thanks for all your advice. The protein is only 1 gram of carb per scoop, and only 27 grams of protein so I think I will be ok. As long as protein powder isn't a no no.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Susie..I think the only NoNo is really cheap whey protein that is jammed full of additives, dyes, etc to make it more like a fast food shake.

Personally I looked at a review of several brands and Terra's Whey is the only milk based whey one I'd buy, BUT I chose Warrior Force an ultra pure, unheated protein from hempseed and brown rice combined, VL carbs…about the same $ as any better brand,

and I am also NOT looking to get to 100 gr. protein, my LC diet is different, so my basic use is in a shake.. I make a 3 cup blender shake with almond milk, hempseed, real hemp, berries and veggies..and know exactly how many grs of protein/fat/etc I am getting.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    There is some really good whey out of New Zealand that comes from grass-fed cows... and you can buy unflavoured whey if you're looking to avoid artificial sweeteners and/or colourants.

It's a good option if you're having trouble hitting your protein goals.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bluefish, have you used the swanson brand of new Zealand whey that is from grass fed cows. I am thinking of trying it.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I used to use Kaizen whey isolate all the time... now I'm on more of the budget, so I buy the cheaper stuff. :neutral:
    Protein is really expensive here in the UK, as compared to Canada.

As far as I know, all New Zealand whey is supposed to be grass fed which is why it's generally more expensive. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Swanson brand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    susiean437 wrote: »
    I actually was looking for another option for breakfast. My carbs are normally well below 15grams / day. I found a protein that is sweetened with stevia that is all natural. I am going to mix it to my bulletproof coffee on mornings when I don't want eggs. I will rotate the days. My concern was using anything that wasn't considered real food stopping me from achieving and continuing in ketosis. Since I'm just a newbie I don't want to derail before I begin. lol Thanks for all your advice. The protein is only 1 gram of carb per scoop, and only 27 grams of protein so I think I will be ok. As long as protein powder isn't a no no.

Of course, you will be better off in the long run having "real" foods, as long as they are of quality, because of the balance of nutrients, but there is nothing wrong with using supplements, as long as you are careful on ingredients. If you view the protein powder as a supplement, you should be good - in other words, use real food first, but protein powder as a back up plan for when you are short on time, not feeling it, etc.

That all being said, you might check out primal coffee (or hot beverage of choice - I use tea and make a combo of the primal and bullet proof)... It is a way to use eggs to make a luxurious breakfast drink that is quite filling and tastes absolutely nothing like eggs (it tastes like a custard variation to me)...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-loaded-tea-746518

This is the version I make every single Monday through Friday. Some days I fast with it until 8 pm or later - other days I eat normally, or slightly later... It completely varies by day...
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I dont know about bulletproof but i have a protein shake every night for dinner with ISOPURE ZERO CARB Toasted Coconut or Vanilla. It tastes yummy
  • susiean437
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I can't wait to try the primal coffee.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    susiean437 wrote: »

Of course, you will be better off in the long run having "real" foods, as long as they are of quality, because of the balance of nutrients, but there is nothing wrong with using supplements, as long as you are careful on ingredients. If you view the protein powder as a supplement, you should be good - in other words, use real food first, but protein powder as a back up plan for when you are short on time, not feeling it, etc.

That all being said, you might check out primal coffee (or hot beverage of choice - I use tea and make a combo of the primal and bullet proof)... It is a way to use eggs to make a luxurious breakfast drink that is quite filling and tastes absolutely nothing like eggs (it tastes like a custard variation to me)...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-loaded-tea-746518

This is the version I make every single Monday through Friday. Some days I fast with it until 8 pm or later - other days I eat normally, or slightly later... It completely varies by day...

Considering this is made with whole eggs, is it something that can be made the night before and kept in the fridge? Because i'll admit the idea of a custard like drink sounds SO good! :)

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That second link is for a "freezer version, so I would imagine you could to a fridge variation. I prefer mine hotter than get out, barely not burning me, so I haven't tried it in the fridge...
  • susiean437
    Options
    I made my bullet proof coffee this morning. I normally use coconut oil, butter and cream and 1 scoop of protein. I left out the protein powder and tried two egg yolks. I also used stevia as the thought of putting sugar in my diet kind of scared me. It was good. Thanks for the info