Tell me what is under your saddle.....

Options

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Carrying extra tube isn't gonna do me any good. :noway: (So not mechanically inclined). So I have it in the garage.:huh:

Take a tire changing class! Or make your husband show you.

You know, the local REI has a tire changing class...I *should* huh!! :glasses:
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    Acorn tool roll

DSC_0003-M.jpg

Containing:
    spare tube
    patch kit
    fingernail paint remover pad for softening tube for patching
    tire levers
    Shraeder to Presta valva adaptor
    CO2 kit with two cartridges
    4-5-6 mm hex keys
    spoke wrench
    shop rag
    pair of disposable latex gloves
    spare batteries for the lights

Under the saddle is a waterproof saddle cover.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What is under my saddle....

Absolutely nothing.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing.

You keep the tire change stuff in the back pocket then?

Recently downsized from a camel-back for commuting to sticking a t-shirt in my Jersey pouch and keeping my tools under a saddle bag, I don't see how you could possibly do without these:

2 x spare tubes
    adapter pump for co2 inflation
    spare back light - Exposure Tracer - light and powerful
    parktool allen key for those essential tightening moments
    chain tool
    tire levers - I just can't do it without em ... especially gator skins!

Luxury: 1xco2 inflation

Life stuff: Inhailers for Asthma
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ... Not forgetting the Seat Post :wink:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing.

Recently downsized from a camel-back for commuting to sticking a t-shirt in my Jersey pouch and keeping my tools under a saddle bag, I don't see how you could possibly do without these:

2 x spare tubes
    chain tool

I use this...

783cccbdc5ea473e87d6fa127ee96331_zps88d9409e.jpg

Then put together and into a bottle cage.

97ec31ff0439453cb7e7861b36cb7b0f_zpse1bb2553.jpg

It contains CO2 inflator, 2 extra cartridges, tube and tire levers. Never have needed a chain tool or allen wrenches. I look over the bike before and after a ride and so far that has worked (now crossing my fingers I have not jinxed myself). I'm on tubeless tires and so far only a couple of flats (running them for over two years now).

When I go long I just put that stuff in my jersey pocket. So far it works.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing.

2 x spare tubes
    chain tool

I use this...

imagejpg3_zps2cc34b14.jpg

Then put together and into a bottle cage.

imagejpg2_zps8994a97f.jpg

It contains CO2 inflator, 2 extra cartridges, tube and tire levers. Never have needed a chain tool or allen wrenches. I look over the bike before and after a ride and so far that has worked (now crossing my fingers I have not jinxed myself). I'm on tubeless tires and so far only a couple of flats (running them for over two years now).

When I go long I just put that stuff in my jersey pocket. So far it works.

I've been seriously using a bottle. I don't want to put my ugly bag on my pretty new bike.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    it depends what i'm doing! Normally for all rides up to about 400k where i've got to be completely self supported then it's big-*kitten* carradice nelson with tyre, 2 tubes, multitool, chain tool, levers, emergency link, tyre boot, pump, light lock, food, nuun, waterproof top, buff, any other spare clothes I might need..

if its an interval session or < 2 hour ride then it's just tubes, multitool & pump, with my phone & 20 pound note in my jersey pocket!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    it depends what i'm doing! Normally for all rides up to about 400k where i've got to be completely self supported then it's big-*kitten* carradice nelson with tyre, 2 tubes, multitool, chain tool, levers, emergency link, tyre boot, pump, light lock, food, nuun, waterproof top, buff, any other spare clothes I might need..

if its an interval session or < 2 hour ride then it's just tubes, multitool & pump, with my phone & 20 pound note in my jersey pocket!

That post brings back memories, I've done a weeks hosteling from the contents of a carradice longflap - still have one in the loft somewhere, along with the matching front and back cotton duck panniers, in case I ever rebuild the Dawes Supergalaxy
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’m a minimalist. I don't like big bags on my bike. Granted I don't ride century’s either. I have a small specialized bag just big enough for a tube, inflator, tire lever and CO2. This is the same for both my Road and Mountain. If I am going on bigger and longer rides, I bring my 100oz Camelback. I know it's huge, but in AZ the extra water is much needed in the summer months. The added weight also helps burn a couple extra calories too :). This Camelback has a few extras as well such as a road rash kit, a multitool, patch kit, mini pump, a food bar or gel pack. If I think I am going to get real crazy and do some big *kitten* ride, I do have a rack and bag I can put on, but so far have only did this one time in my life.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Let's see, patch kit, tire levers, miniature crescent wrench, Allen wrenches, presta valve adapters, chain tool, keys.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    On the road, I have a small saddlebag with:

1 spare tube
    1 tiny patch kit
    1 compact bike multi-tool kit (all the basics)
    1 KMC Missing Link (needed it once when chain broke)
    1 small energy bar or granola bar
    1 cell phone (sometimes this goes in jersey pocket)
    1 pair of tire levers
    1 Lithium Ion battery pack for headlight when needed
    $10 to $20 in paper bills
    House keys

Road bike has rear light blinker and headlight, as well as two bottle cages with water, and one mini-pump that mounts to water bottle cage.

Mountain bike I nix the saddlebag and go with Camelback Rogue. It contains what I put in the road bike bag, plus:
    1 small bottle 100% DEET (we have lots of ticks & mosquitoes around here)
    5 band-aids
    1 small ziploc bag for phone
    1 ziplock bag with 4-5 baby wipes (to clean out cuts/whatever)
    5 ibuprofen tablets
    1 small roll electrical tape
    2 CO2 cartridges
    1 CO2 inflator head
    2 rubber bands
    1 bladder with up to 70oz water (when cool, I skip this and rely on bottles)
    Car keys & House keys

On the frame I have 1-2 bottles of water or sometimes Gatoraide
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    two tubes, multi tool, co2 pump and two cartridges, patch kit, $20
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm another minimalist. Additionally, I hate the velcro seatpost band that most seat bags come with. Whether we know it or not, most of us are having our expensive bib shorts damaged by rubbing against that stupid velcro strap. That being a pet-peeve of mine, I tend to go with small bags that don't have one.

On the road bike:
    Small Banjo Brothers bag with 2 Park tire levers, a spare tube, CO2 inflator, 2 CO2 cartridges, and a $20 bill. The jersey pocket has Gu Gels, cell phone, Speedplay cleat covers, Clif Bars, etc. Wrist has a road ID.

'cross bike, in Non-race configuration:
    Small Leyzne bag with the same stuff as above.

TT bike:
    Specialized Wing attached to my Sitero saddle. The Wing carries two CO2 cartridges on one side and a Lezyne Pressure Drive combo hand pump and CO2 inflator. A spare tube with valve extender lives in my jersey pocket.

MTB:
    Basically the same stuff as the road bike, but it all lives in the camelbak instead of a seat bag.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    fast bike, strong legs
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everything goes in a small backpack-
    I don't waste time wih in field patches, just throw a new tube on.

I'm more geared toward wilderness/backwoods riding as I live in get lost and turn right and may not see anyone for days in the wilderness. I just added a take down .22 in addition to my sidearm.

tube
    lever
    pump
    bladder
    water filter
    emergency blanket
    knive
    striker
    gu/clif bars
    spare magazines topped with ammo .45acp and .22lr
    multitool
    duct tape
    t.p.
    instant sanitizer
    paracord

• Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a little "bikey bag" attached under my saddle. In it, I keep the multi-hex wrench tool, my cell-phone, electrical tape, money ($5-$10), and chap stick. My bike frame has 2 cages for water bottles. I use one bottle to hold my flat kit, which consists of: a spare tube, the c02 kit, 2 cylinders, a flat changing tool, and moist towelettes for after tire-changing clean-up. If I am going longer than 50 miles, I also take dried fruit and nuts in my saddle bag. I have pre-planned pit stops on my route for toilet breaks and to refill my water bottle usually about every 20-30 miles. I have an I.D. sticker in my helmet. A lot of bike shops provide free work-shops on how to change a flat. Time well worth spent. One season, I had 7 flats.....
  • Archon2
    Options
    ...My bike frame has 2 cages for water bottles. I use one bottle to hold my flat kit, which consists of: a spare tube, the c02 kit, 2 cylinders, a flat changing tool, and moist towelettes for after tire-changing clean-up...

I've never thought of optionally using the second bottle for non-drink stuff! I'll have to try that if I can figure out some free refill spots on the routes I use.
  • Archon2
    Options
    britzen wrote: »
    Everything goes in a small backpack-I don't waste time wih in field patches, just throw a new tube on.

I'm more geared toward wilderness/backwoods riding as I live in get lost and turn right and may not see anyone for days in the wilderness. I just added a take down .22 in addition to my sidearm.
    Must be heavy all that stuff plus a full size rifle, pistol, and extra magazines. What does your pack typically weight?

I took bear spray a couple times on long MTB rides and even then I didn't like the extra bulkiness and weight of the can in addition to my other essentials :)
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My sidearm is on me during waking hours anyways, so I don't count that. The two rifles I switch out are fairly lightweight, both are around 5lbs with extra ammo. The spare .45mag is the heaviest so I should dump it since if I can't take a predator advancing with my primary I'm not going to really have time to reload. My pack with water is under 10lbs, and one great thing in the Clearwater wilderness is water is abundant. Its a LOT more than what I carried in Nor Cal, but its nothing compared to going down in the Idaho wilderness without tools.