Jentacular Juramentum July (IF Challenge) Check-In!

Options

Replies

• reeree0406
    reeree0406 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tough weekend but basically I stuck with plan, give or take a half-hour.
  • rosendale1
    rosendale1 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So far pretty good with the 16.8. Because of camping it was hard to do 12 to 8 so went 1 to 9 and things worked with that window. No weight loss though and not surprised . On to week two
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I broke the fast early today. It's going to sound weird, but yesterday I had one ONE 1 smoked salmon tortilla and cream cheese roll... Like, an inch thick. Couldn't figure out how to log it, didn't worry about it particularly.
    Today I was ravenous. And ate ham, cream cheese tortilla roll up slices.
    Like, 4 or 5 of them.
    Ah, well. Carbs lead to carbs. And while a beer might be okay once in a while, bread type stuff just leaves me with cravings for MOAR.
    SO, no 16/8 today. I'll start again tomorrow.
    And every day I still do way better (weigh better
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Gave myself a one-day break from 16:8 this morning, as I was ravenous and super hormonal. I thought my TOM was finally arriving. Not yet, turns out. I'm feeling better now. Stopped all food intake before 7pm, getting back on the horse to make it until 11am tomorrow. I might try BPC and see if I can make it longer than that.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm doing an unscheduled 26hr fast today. Feel great. I had to atone for my bad Sunday night. I was watching BattleBots with my friend and out came the buffalo wings... I ate too many, went WAY over on my calories, had a salad. My carb level was the highest in months (45g). I checked ketones with Ketonix this afternoon, and I was still in Ketosis. I may have slipped out, earlier in the day, IDK and I was afraid to check. My fasting got me back on track...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan, do you think even a higher carb meal can be compensated for by waiting 16 or 17 hours before eating?
    I wonder if the fact that I take PGX, regularly but not faithfully, and that it is supposed to slow down carb absorption to avoid sugar spikes, means fasting is less effective in returning me into nutritional ketosis.
    Frankly, I have not weighed myself in a couple of weeks, and I'm scared to. I have not gained, but I haven't had that "I feel so good and one pound lighter feeling" either.
    I want fasting to do a lot. Weight loss. Help me control when and what I eat instead of cravings and boredom. And this week my friend died, and I keep almost saying the dreaded "screw it, I'll do it later" bad self-talk stuff. I don't mind DECIDING to forego a fast schedule, but to do it willy-billy is going so many steps back.
    Sorry. Tl;dr.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm late checking in and starting but here goes....

Your current weight (or clothing size, or whatever you use if you don't weigh): 16stone 5lbs
    Your Fast/Feed Schedule: Include how many days per week you plan to do this Fast from 8pm to 12 pm 5 most days, with the odd day off because it's the end of term and there's a load of staff do's coming up where I can't eat before 8pm.
    Do you take supplements?: I take magnesium
    Do you plan to exercise? If so, how do you expect that to impact your fasting?: I do quite a bit of walking but no real exercise
    How you'll fast: Water only? Water/BPC only? Water
    What you hope to achieve by participating: Including how you'll measure it More control over my appetite, loss of weight
    Any previous experience with fasting: off and on, nothing serious

Any other comments you'd like to make:
    Looking forward to this :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I started a 48 hour fast after dinner last night, but it turns out hubby is still in town for another day, so I will probably break it at 24 to enjoy a steak with him tonight. Over the weekend I ate too much dairy (cream cheese) and berries (blue, black, rasp) and my weight rose accordingly which is why I chose to fast last night, but plans change. :smile:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Start of week two, made it through week 1 pretty well, ended up eating late into the night on Friday and didn't fast Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, plus ate a ton of carbs those three days.

Stopped eating at 10 last night, hoping to make it to 10 pm tonight, but suspect I will eat a bit sooner, should still be able to do 20-22 hours before eating. I'm thinking I should try to break it at 7 so that I can stop eating at 8 and get back on my original schedule. I guess we will see how the day goes.

Hope everyone is doing well with this. It's a fun challenge to see how far you can take it. I'm looking forward to comparing how I feel by the end of the month.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If no one objects, let's try keeping to a single thread for this whole challenge?

Tomorrow marks a week! Feel free to start reporting your experiences from your first week. Did you find it easy or hard? Did life or friends try to get in the way? Do you feel any different? Have your hunger signals changed at all?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Okay so after 1 week, I'm down a pound. I haven't really had any difficulty staying on my fasting/feeding schedule. Not sure if I feel better, but I like the time I save in skipping breakfast. I notice I have trouble reaching my protein goals by skipping a meal.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm down 0.8kg over the week, which is similar to the kind of loss I was getting when not fasting, so not sure whether this is doing much for me. I'm generally starting to feel sick with hunger around 11-11:30 am (fasting 8-12 or 9-1), I haven't really felt hunger while on regular low carb unless I've had a particularly hard exercise session. I am having no problem at all hitting my calorie target each day, I am eating a lot more at the 2 meals I do have so some days I have struggled with going too far over on calories. I'm going to give it another week but if my appetite doesn't settle down I will go back to having my BPC in the mornings to see whether it brings my hunger back in to check.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

The first few days were rough, as expected. But I didn't kill anyone. I'm very frickin grouchy around noon. So I've started being a "bad mommy" and making part of my lunch first so I can have food in my belly so I may continue to not kill people.
    One day I just did a 14:10, due to a kid appt interfering with our normal schedule, so that I won't kill people I don't know in public.
    I'm starting to get used to not eating in the morning. Finally. Don't get in my way at noon though. :wink:

Weight is up 1lb. Which means nothing I can figure in particular. I think I'm moving into another stall pattern again like in April. So I bounce all around some weight for awhile. I'm beginning to question whether or not pursuing my goal weight is worth all the aggravation. I want to be 150. Being tall, I carry weight well, but the chub still on my thighs and belly bugs me. But it's probably going to take me another 6mo just to lose 10lb, unless I want to slash my calories big time. Who the heck wants to do that? I like to eat.

On the positive side, having the bulk of my cals available toward the end of the day is nice and is helping me keep from blowing out the calories. I eliminated the CO in my BPC, which gives me over 100 extra calories I can use elsewhere in the day. Even though I love it, it had to go again for the time being. It didn't help the wanting to kill during the end of the fasting window any, and I'd really rather eat an oz of cheese or have some meat for those cals. I'm starting to adjust, so I have no irrational growling bottomless monster in my tummy as I try to sleep. Which is good. Definitely another positive tally mark.

While I wait for my scale-gnome to shake off his bender, I'll keep IFing-either 16:8 or 14:10 (if life intervenes as it is wont to do), and working out. I've been having trouble with muscle recovery lately, and I'm not sure why. I can't tell if it's just a flare of the dumb ol' Chronic Fatigue or something else. But I need an extra day to recover from the bodyweight workouts. I still get the same number of them in, I just have to spread them out more. But that has nothing to do with IF. I've been having issues with that for 2 months. Which coincidentally coincides with the amount of time I've been using an every-10-days refeed. Hmmm...things to think about...

Anyway...the nonsensical blabber will cease now, much to your relief.
    Happy IFing everyone. :smile:
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No problem with the IF itself. I , too, have trouble with my protein goals, but I am working on it. Yesterday I was down .5lb and today I am up 1.2lbs...lol...so I guess so far is same old same old for me. I had salad yesterday at Olive Garden and maybe something in the dressing that I didn't know about. I am eager to see what the outcome of this after 30 days is going to be...
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not down anything from IF though I didn't expect to be. I am pondering whether I am going to stick with this after last night's blunder of eating a burger followed by a pretzel bun followed by the crust of a pizza followed by some steak. I didn't eat this morning until lunch so I fasted again and felt fine. I'm just not seeing what the benefits are and quite frankly can't remember what they are supposed to be. Then I read this today and really started questioning the purpose. "I am reminding myself that life is not an exercise in maintaining control."

So kind people, please remind me. Why are we doing this? More fat burning? More weight loss? To prove we feel hunger and can tolerate it? Enlighten me again. #YoureADivaWhenYoureHungry
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I'm not down anything from IF though I didn't expect to be. I am pondering whether I am going to stick with this after last night's blunder of eating a burger followed by a pretzel bun followed by the crust of a pizza followed by some steak. I didn't eat this morning until lunch so I fasted again and felt fine. I'm just not seeing what the benefits are and quite frankly can't remember what they are supposed to be. Then I read this today and really started questioning the purpose. "I am reminding myself that life is not an exercise in maintaining control."

So kind people, please remind me. Why are we doing this? More fat burning? More weight loss? To prove we feel hunger and can tolerate it? Enlighten me again. #YoureADivaWhenYoureHungry

I can
    only say why I am doing this. I am hoping for some more fat burning and maybe some weight loss, but as I burn fat, I lose inches, so I am fine with that even if the scale doesn't move. . I am hoping for a little more energy as my body learns to burn fat efficiently. I am not feeling any hunger and I would never do anything to make myself feel hunger. . These are my reasons only, maybe not someone else's reasons. . My feelings are also that if you are hungry, eat! I don't feel that anyone should be learning how to tolerate hunger with this. . It's different things to different people, but it is not a punishment. I learned to tolerate hunger on cico and will never do that again. If you are hungry, eat. (IMHO)
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My problem is not that I feel hunger during the fast. It's that I feel an insatiable hunger during the eating portion. I don't need to feel hunger to know I get hungry. Like you, I've done that before - unsuccessfully, I will add. Thanks for filling me on the fat burning thoughts!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Accidentally ate 22:2 today. :wink:

I had dinner some time before 7pm yesterday. I was out all day until 5pm. My wife and son ate, but the crappy places they picked didn't have any options I wanted. So, I got home and cooked up a pound of beef and warmed up about 8-10 ribs. Then I devoured them over the next couple hours.

lol, I know this doesn't really count. It would only count if I did this every day.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm having some trouble. I feel good and after a longer fast yesterday I waited till noon to eat today. My appetite is subsiding but by the time I ate dinner it was almost eight which is the end of my window. Now I'm low on calories, fat and protein, I'm not really hungry but I don't want to continually under eat by this much. We just have weird schedules so we are used to eating later in the day but my lunch at work is at noon so if I don't eat then I won't have a chance til I'm out of work.

I don't know what to do
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    My problem is not that I feel hunger during the fast. It's that I feel an insatiable hunger during the eating portion. I don't need to feel hunger to know I get hungry. Like you, I've done that before - unsuccessfully, I will add. Thanks for filling me on the fat burning thoughts!

I am new to IF, so I am not sure if my expectations will be met or not, but, I am OK if they don't happen. I am sometimes very hungry when I break my fast, so I try to eat something really fatty to start. Do you drink BPC? The fat in it holds me over until its time for me to eat. I probably couldn't do this without BPC...