New Adrenal Fatigue Group

Options
SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
I did a search recently to see if there was an AF group here on MFP but surprisingly couldn't find one so I started one today.

I have pretty severe hypothyroid and apparently equally severe adrenal fatigue. I'm starting a new job on Wednesday and I've been desperately trying so many things to help my thyroid (nascent iodine, kelp, Vitamin D + Vitamin K2 and moderate daily exercise. I think the symptoms were there but seemed to get much worse when I switched to a lower carb diet about 2 weeks ago. It might seem like I should get off that diet but I have such high blood sugar I need to bring it down so I don't get diabetes.

Well finally I considered trying things for the adrenals. It's like a light switch went on almost instantly!! I got so much stuff done today. I didn't know what would work so I have about 6 other things on order from amazon.

I still need to support my thyroid but if I don't also support my adrenals I don't think I'll do very well on that job or in my life for that matter. There are likely others in this group who have both conditions (thyroid and adrenal) so I just wanted to let you know there is a group for the Adrenal Fatigue now. All are welcome!

Replies

• swadepgh
    swadepgh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi SkinnyKerinny. How did you know or find out you had adrenal fatigue?
  • trm1959v
    trm1959v Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue about a year and a half ago. I also had thyroid surgery when I was 14 (I had over active thyroids) now like so many other I'm underactive and I swear to you if I look at food I gain a pound. I'm back in the get this weight off me track.
    I found out from a blood test at my Dr office (natural path) my traditional dr said the results are garbage lol but he doesn't live in foggy brain so I take his review for what is an opinion.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Hi swadepgh,

I went to a NP doctor because I was so tired and brain foggy. When my lab tests came back she raved about finding "the answer" for me. She said my life was about to change. I would be thin, have tons of energy and be beautiful!!! I was so excited! Then when I started taking the thyroid medication she prescribed I felt so much worse. It was awful.

I did a search online to try to solve this mystery as to why I was feeling so sick and adrenal fatigue seemed to be the answer. So I called the NP and asked her if that's what was wrong. She was pretty confident that was the problem so I left work immediately (couldn't work anyway or think straight) and drove over to her office to get a supplement called Isocort. It helped right away-- that same day there was improvement. I took that as long as they made the old formula (had actual glands in the supplement). Now it's plant based and really does nothing for me.

So the short answer is I diagnosed myself. I also was diagnosed about 10 years earlier with chronic fatigue but I'm suspecting might also have been adrenal fatigue.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Hi trm1959v,

Have you read Stop The Thyroid Madness? There are explanations of lab tests (which so many doctors don't read correctly).

When I got a new NP I asked her straight up if she would prescribe the thyroid medication based on my symptoms. I had the STTM book in my hand when I went for the initial consultation.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is soooo sad and so common. Docs are supposed to check your adrenals before prescribing thyroid meds for just this reasons! Literally, it's right there in the Physician's Desk Reference and so many don't know about this or fail to do it. Those of us with long untreated or undertreated thyroid problems often have adrenal fatigue/insufficiency issues because it's a common way the body responds to hypo issues -- and attempt to compensate. My doc suspects the same for insulin resistance as he's seen quite a few of his Hashi's patients with insulin resistance when they first start treatment (even those who's weight is normal).

Have you had your cortisol and DHEA checked? I know I had mine checked when I finally got diagnosed and my DHEA levels were really, really low. I was in the stage where my adrenals were beginning to burn out -- my cortisol was no longer elevated (because my body just couldn't keep up anymore), so if a doc just checked that, they'd probably think I was fine but my dhea was almost gone. Constant fatigue -- some days I was sleeping 14-16 hours per day and was still exhausted -- and then other days I couldn't sleep at all even though I was soooo tired.

My doc had me taking DHEA before starting the thyroid meds (nature throid for me) along with some other supps where I was deficient (like Vitamin D and magnesium) and the difference was night and day. I was sleeping through the night again most of the time, not crazy fatigued anymore (or very few episodes), actually woke up refreshed instead of still exhausted. I'd forgotten about how it felt to be "normal" again. Night and Day.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Wow that's fantastic you are doing so well!

No, no one has checked the DHEA. Ever!

I'm trying to be my own doctor right now. As time goes on and I learn more that seems like the wisest course. I have seen 3 NPs in my area and there aren't any more to try.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    LOL @ being your own doctor. I've basically been doing the same, especially since the endo I was seeing got mad at me and told me to feel free to find another doctor.