Old habits are hard to break!

Options
mae7365
mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
So I'm 5 days away from my 8 month anniversary of VSG surgery and finally admitting that my old habits and obsession with snacking have not miraculously disappeared because of WLS. On May 28th, I had lost 60 pounds and was so positive that I'd reach goal by my 8 month anniversary. But rather than stay focused, eat healthy and follow the plan, I got over confident and reverted back to snacking on all the high carb, high sugar, high salt comfort foods that had originally caused my weight gain. I stopped going to my monthly support group meetings, stopped my daily involvement in on-line bariatric and weight loss support groups and as a result, I've gained 9 pounds rather than losing the last 6 pounds that would have gotten me to goal.

I know what I have to do to get back on track. Any suggestions on how to break my addition to carbs? I'm focused on protein today with the hope that once I break the carb cycle, I can get back to making better food choices for my late night snacks. Yes, the honeymoon is over!!

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Ok you need to get focused, Sugar addiction is really your issue and the only way to really stop is to quit eating the wrong things. Why did you have surgery in the first place? Ask yourself that question. Do you like how you feel after eating the high carb, high salt, high sugar comfort foods? Why are you eating those things? Ask yourself what is causing you to eat those. Do you want the feeling of the comfort? Is there something else you can do for the release? If you want to get healthy and remain healthy you need to give up the carbs. I can't make you do it, no one can, only you. You are the one that chooses what you eat. Make a plan now and get back on it. We are all addicts of sugar and it is killing us. Focus on your protein now get back on your plan and do what you need to do.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You got a lot closer to goal than I did when I lost my focus and gained. My only advice to you is, go back to following the plan. Weigh and measure, get your protein and water in, pre-plan all your food for the day and stick to the plan. You've come way too far to go backwards now.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am also having a hard time. I am down 50lbs and it is really hard to get focused, I have been here for 3 now with no further weight loss. I wake up every morning with the goal to get back on target and find and excuse why I have to eat a carb. (This morning it was because I had a queasy stomach from the numbing shot I had to have a skin tag removed.) I have 20 more lbs to get get to my Dr.'s goal and 30 more lbs to get to my goal. I am 9 months out from surgery. My stress level is really up and I am finding myself falling back into my old ways just to cope. There is little I can do to improve the stress without kicking everyone out of my home. We have family extras staying with us because they have no where to go. I am having to buy cheaper food vs healthy food in order to feed everyone (4 extras) plus our family (3). I don't mean to whine. I know I need to pre-plan my food but by evening I am exhausted. (I work 9.5 hr days and work 30 miles from my office. So I am usually gone from 6:30 to 6 or 6:30 then come home have to cook. I have no time for me.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sugar/bad carbs are addicting. They whisper in our heads. The more we eat them, the louder the voices get. Make no mistake, it is almost always the head voices we are trying to satisfy, not a physical hunger. Go back to the way you were eating right after surgery. A little bit of protein, a little bit of veggies, maybe some fruit. Try to go as many days as you can without having the sugar/carbs, because the longer you go without the less tempting those voices will be. We all have days where we don't make the best choices, but those have to be rare occasions, not daily.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself in the same boat lately, a hand full of peanuts here, just a couple of pita chips with hummus there, a chocolate kiss...the list goes on, I realize that I am starting to get out of control with the snacking, I need to just woman up and do what I know needs to be done, but it is so hard! We can do this though, we've come too far to turn back now :)
  • mae7365
    Options
    I am so glad I posted this today. Somehow it is motivating to know I'm not in this journey alone. Thanks for the thoughts and words of encouragement.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can't eat what you don't buy. So I stopped buying the crap. I buy fresh veggies and fruit instead. I signed up for a produce delivery service that brings me a box of fresh produce every Friday right to my front door. We also have a Nu Wave oven which allows me to cook chicken or pork loin or steak from frozen if I didn't thaw anything out. It makes all meats really juicy and good without added fat and calories.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You are speaking my language here. I have (had) 9 pounds to go and I have let busyness, stress and any other excuse I can come up with derail my progress. I have only gained 2 pounds but I know I am going in the wrong direction. One of my big problems is that my company has, for free, all the snacks, treats and sweets you can eat available for us all the time. I am coming up on 10 months myself and I cannot seem to get back to my focus I had before. I am glad you posted this too Mae. We can do this together!!
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    imboswell wrote: »
    I am also having a hard time. I am down 50lbs and it is really hard to get focused, I have been here for 3 now with no further weight loss. I wake up every morning with the goal to get back on target and find and excuse why I have to eat a carb. (This morning it was because I had a queasy stomach from the numbing shot I had to have a skin tag removed.) I have 20 more lbs to get get to my Dr.'s goal and 30 more lbs to get to my goal. I am 9 months out from surgery. My stress level is really up and I am finding myself falling back into my old ways just to cope. There is little I can do to improve the stress without kicking everyone out of my home. We have family extras staying with us because they have no where to go. I am having to buy cheaper food vs healthy food in order to feed everyone (4 extras) plus our family (3). I don't mean to whine. I know I need to pre-plan my food but by evening I am exhausted. (I work 9.5 hr days and work 30 miles from my office. So I am usually gone from 6:30 to 6 or 6:30 then come home have to cook. I have no time for me.

Imboswell, I too have additional family staying with me temporarily. It's not easy and does cost a little more. Part of what helps is preplanning meals so I can utilize the crockpot, cook ahead, etc. I too work full time although I am closer to the office than you are and I do have help with the cooking at home, I insist on it! If you are living with me you are contributing financially, with cleaning, cooking, etc.. I also have no issue with having something different if they are eating some less expensive like spaghetti. My separate meal is so small it really doesn't cost much. With what you've described, it sounds like you house guests need to help out some. Also, when I get queasy, which I do occasionally, I eat 2 wheat thin hint of salt crackers. Just 2. With as small as our stomachs are, just 2 ends the queasy feeling without derailing my day.

• pawoodhull
    Options
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    You can't eat what you don't buy. So I stopped buying the crap.

This exactly! If it's in my house I will eat it.

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with old habits as well. As others have said, it is the bad carbs that trigger me to want more. Just need to get rid of them. Continue to surround yourself with support because this is when you need it most. Be forgiving of yourself and even when we make a bad choice, it isn't a failure. Just start right back with the very next situation and do your best to make it a good one!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok... so I am almost 18 months out and here is what I can tell you... there will be times you eat carbs and junk and gain some weight back. That's just how it is. How much you gain back is up to you. Does it stop at 9? 19? 29? I am going to make a bunch of assumptions here in just a minute... hoping I am close to the mark....

I am familiar with that ice-ball of panic you feel in the pit of your stomach because you don't know if you can answer that question-- right? (here come the assumptions..) I am sure you don't WANT to gain anymore--but you wonder if it is going to stop or just keep going. That fear is feeding your anxiety...and then your anxiety makes you "hungry" for the junk--- am I close?

How do I know this? Because I have experienced it-- and sometimes I still do. My solution? Well, I have several-- here is what works for me:

1) Remember I did this for health and wellness. This means I eat well to live well. I feel like crap when I eat crap--and I want to feel good---so when the option comes for me to eat carbage I think about how I am going to feel-- and not just the emotional "Damn I did it again" remorse, but the actual physical feeling. Sometimes that is enough to keep me on track.

2) When I want to "jump ship" and eat carbage, I get something low carb that is really filling and "decadent"- I LOVE butter and cheese and MEAT. So If I am feeling "snacky" and I am afraid I am going to eat junk, I get some cheese and maybe some Wasa "bread" (it is more like a cracker) and some cold cuts or left over steak or make up some bacon. I put a thick layer of butter on the Wasa, cover it with cheese, and eat my bacon. YUM. If I go over on calories, I am not worried about it. I fed my body and kept myself off the craving-give-in-blood -sugar-crash-that makes-me-crave-more cycle. PLUS I feel like had a real treat!

3) I do what I can--- so if I eat the junk, at least I am still exercising, getting adequate rest, drinking a good amount of water, meditating, etc. Meaning I am still doing SOME of the things I need to in order to stay on track. Us diet-type folks tend to think "all or nothing"-- it doesn't have to be that way. Praise yourself for what you are doing well-- be kind to yourself about where you are not quite hitting the mark, and have HOPE-- because when you are ready, you will be able to get right where you want to.

4) I LOVE ME RIGHT NOW. I know it sounds SUPER corn-ball-- but this is a MUST MUST MUST. We HAVE to learn to love and accept ourselves right this second. It starts in your head-- no shaming, tell your inner critic she needs a time-out, and do something that makes you feel good (preferably not food related). Take a nap. Read a good book. Watch something funny on Netflix. Call a girlfriend and talk about stuff. Sit down and write a list of every thing you have to be grateful for in your life. Just do whatever it takes to feel better.

I hope some of this is helpful. Success after surgery is a PROCESS. You are going to have setbacks. It is part of the game. But you can handle them.

Please keep us posted on how things go for you the next few days!
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Carbage - I love it Thaeda.

You are not alone in this. I am now at 10lbs to my goal at 7 months out. Over the last month, things have slowed down - but I was also allowed to introduce carbs again. I don't think I've gone overboard (I haven't had pasta yet, 2 forks of rice, 1 bite of mashed potatoes) but - I've allowed myself to take a tiny taste here and there of things. LIke Thaeda said - we are human. Just keep drinking water and doing all the other support things. I think about how strict I was for the first 6 months and know I need to reign in my snacks and try to cut out some protein bars - they are my new addiction.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thaeda - as always great advice and I especially love #4 - we all need to remember that one through this process!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am about 21 months out, and I have had some struggles. I really want to lose 20 more but I have just been stuck. I haven't reverted back to old habits, but I have had moments. I eat things that aren't always the best choices, but I don't let those moments completely derail me. It happens, sometimes in life we eat a few bites of cake. It isn't the undoing of everything we have done for ourselves. What has helped me recently is just simply changing things up. Not just going back to basics, which definitely helps, but for example with my exercise - I used to just do the elliptical or treadmill at the gym, now I have been doing C25K and I tried the spin classes at the gym too. I have also been trying to find new, healthy food options. I plan my meals and snacks. Also, everything Thaeda said!
  • mae7365
    Options
    Thank you for all your posts. I do still LOVE the new me who is size 8 vs. size 18! I LOVE that I'm no longer on medications or using a c-pap to sleep. I know I will now live a longer and healthier life. We all have so much to be grateful for. I will get back on track because I've been given a blessing in having this surgery and I don't want to waste it!
  • ankinray
    ankinray Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great thread-Although I'm basically at goal (1 year out), it's the same struggle to maintain (which is really gain 2-3, lose 2-3). I have the same issue as I did pre-surg and it scares the crap out of me (which is non-stop grazing between dinner and bedtime). Fortunately I don't have much trouble eating right during the day-it's just that snacking (1-2 skinny cow bars, cheese, etc.). Thaeda, love your low carb snack suggestions-putting Wasa on the grocery IQ list now.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I go workout, I know that the folks in my classes are also looking up to me. I have had a few fluctuations in my weight but no more that 2 pounds and usually because of water retention. Thaeda is right, I love me now! I used to get stressed, eat 'carbage' feel worse and eat more 'carbage' Carbs didn't make me feel better, just fueled the depression. What I would hate when I had house guests, they would be the crap food, and then look with sad eyes as I ate fresh strawberries or a smoothie... My grandkids know that Nana only has healthy snacks and they eat fresh fruit for snacks. yes it is more expensive and your stress level is high, take care of yourself ok.
  • goodlife1206
    goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Really loved to see this thread and all the great advice. I am out 9 months and still losing 1-2 lbs a week. I have about 8 lbs to my goal. I do see that I am eating some of the snacky carb foods in small amounts. I have been giving myself "the talk" and have mainly stayed on track. I do see how easy it can be to stray and start the old habits. I really like the new me and my healthy profile now. I love being able to wear clothes I never could and even run. I will stay the course and try my best to take care of this new body. All the wisdom helps all of us to keep on track.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    High sugar carbs will sink your weight loss. Switch to protein bars, like quest. Even fiber one, and nature valley have protein bars with a far amount of protein in them. they have carbs, but they are a good interim to get off the donuts. Meanwhile, just muscle through it. Do shakes, steak, shrimp, protein coffee, whatever. The more protein you get the more those cravings will disappear. And remember how hard it was to break next time you're tempted. that's what I do.