Old habits are hard to break!

Options
2»

Replies

• denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 months out and I think it's normal to get off track once you start feeling confident. My best piece of advice would be get back to basics and contact a nutritionist to help you get back on your journey. The worst you can do is beat yourself up over it because it happens to the best of us. the biggest struggle is getting rid of those old habits.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mae7365 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your posts. I do still LOVE the new me who is size 8 vs. size 18! I LOVE that I'm no longer on medications or using a c-pap to sleep. I know I will now live a longer and healthier life. We all have so much to be grateful for. I will get back on track because I've been given a blessing in having this surgery and I don't want to waste it!
    This way of thinking is exactly what you need. Perfect...
  • thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know you can do this. This will sound wrong, but I can lose 5 pounds anytime I want (need to). I am petrified of gaining the weight back. I've lost 40-50 pounds 4 different times in my life, always gaining it back. I need this time to be different. So, I made a list of things I would do if I gain more than 5 pounds, like
    * go to a meeting or
    * check in with the Dr or
    * add an exercise class or
    * add water, etc.

I have a 5 pound range & I'm on the scale nearly every day but skipped 4 days last week. Sunday, I was up 8 pounds (3 out of range) and it scared me to death. So, I immediately cut out all processed carbs, increased protein and water and stopped eating after dinner (this is key). I am back in my range in 4 days. Don't lose the feeling of being smaller. Don't forget what it felt like to be bigger. Don't let go of the progress you've made. WARNING: HORRIBLE STATISTIC AHEAD: 30% gain their weight back within 2 years. Not this time. Right? Not this time. You can do this.
  • dashdiet2013
    dashdiet2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still pre-op, but other groups that I'm in speak of a "Back on Track" program to help with post-surgery stalls or regain. It seems to be a back to basics kind of approach. Hope it helps!
    http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/05/18/official-back-on-track-all-aboard-for-bot-2/

Dawn
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have tested my limits like a child does with their parents (or at least my three teenagers anyway!) I noticed that I didn't feel as good and I stopped losing and even started gaining. I had to go back to basics. I stopped to think about this gift and how I don't want to waste this opportunity. I had to accept that I could eat more than I ever thought I would be able to again --- and I DID get hungry. I wish I couldn't and didn't. But I can and do. So, I am back on the protein drinks and small healthy meals. I plan out each day's meals and snacks every night. I have added cardio for 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes of HIIT in the evenings. And I am feeling better and seeing the scale move down!! We can do this. :smile:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I know you can do this. This will sound wrong, but I can lose 5 pounds anytime I want (need to). I am petrified of gaining the weight back. I've lost 40-50 pounds 4 different times in my life, always gaining it back. I need this time to be different. So, I made a list of things I would do if I gain more than 5 pounds, like
    * go to a meeting or
    * check in with the Dr or
    * add an exercise class or
    * add water, etc.

I have a 5 pound range & I'm on the scale nearly every day but skipped 4 days last week. Sunday, I was up 8 pounds (3 out of range) and it scared me to death. So, I immediately cut out all processed carbs, increased protein and water and stopped eating after dinner (this is key). I am back in my range in 4 days. Don't lose the feeling of being smaller. Don't forget what it felt like to be bigger. Don't let go of the progress you've made. WARNING: HORRIBLE STATISTIC AHEAD: 30% gain their weight back within 2 years. Not this time. Right? Not this time. You can do this.

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. I know these things in my head, but in there they are so easy to ignore. When you put it IRL, it becomes clarified. I'm ten pounds over my range and it's slowly slowly increasing. I'm scared, because it feels out of control. It feels so simple to hear your experience and then know what to do. :flowerforyou: