After surgery comforts

Options
I'm down to 1 more day before surgery! Any secrets (other than pain meds) that made life right after surgery easier and more comfortable?

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I took too much stuff to the hospital - didn't touch my smart iPad, didn't read any books, in my drugged state I was fine resting and walking. At home, I got to pick the movies I wanted :-)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Gas strips, and peppermint for nausea.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    have an extra pillow to hold against your abdomen when coughing, at least for a couple of days. if you have a recliner at home, you may want to sleep in it for a few days after you return home. it will be more comfortable than trying to sleep flat in your bed.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My pillow. I have two that I love, and I had one with me at all times after my surgery!
    Good luck!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Earplugs!! Those hospitals are loud. I'm so glad I brought them with me. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Comfy clothes/jammies - I wanted to get up and moving but not in that gown and not without at least a sleep bra. Slippers or flip flops also.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    After I got home, I used a travel pillow and slept in my comfy chair for a couple of nights, because I tend to toss and turn when I sleep. The travel pillow kept me from becoming a bobblehead :-)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I second the tip on the recliner and the pillow for your abdomen. I seriously would not have been able to get up and down out of bed right afterward.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    In the hospital, I took my laptop and kindle and never pulled either one out. I did use my phone so I could Facetime with my kids who were 2 hours away. My surgeon put an abdominal binder on me postop, and it was AWESOME. Helped me feel very secure and made getting up much easier vs my c/s where I didn't have one 5 years ago. If they don't put one on you, ask for one. Things I was glad I brought: Slippers with a sole (made walking more comfortabe), yoga pants, socks, underwear, and a shelf tank (brought a clean pair for every day), toiletries, and my own pillow (put a patterned pillowcase on it so the nurses know it is yours and your pillow/pillowcase don't go into the hospital laundry).

One of my big regrets is not taking my measurements before going into surgery. I am now, but wish I'd done it before surgery in addition to my weight.
  • CityGirlInBurbs
    CityGirlInBurbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Definitely will bring a pillow now! Down to 14 hours. I'm ready!!!!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you... 7:15 am!
    i'm trying not to over pack: comfy shorts, toiletries, extra pillow, Kindle, extra-long charging cord, gas strips.
    Leaving the contacts, and laptop at home.
    Any other must-have items?
  • terimorena
    terimorena Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They give you lip balm, mouthwash, toothbrush soap and towels so go light on the toiletries. I packed my kindle but didn't even pull it out. Gas stops I took but used only when I got home. I did 3 things in the hospital: slept, walked and sipped from med cups. Best of luck to you both. Remember what you feel is so very temporary. You'll be home and on your journey in a blink of an eye.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good luck to @CityGirlInBurbs and @anbrdr today!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Comfy pants and shoes/sandals. You will be walking a lot and the track pants I took along with my Birkenstock sandals made walking the floor much more comfortable. I took my IPad to read and an afghan I was working on, but never touched them as if I wasn't walking I was sleeping.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'd make sure to have comfy clothes, chapstick, slippers, and a pillow

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I second the loose clothes and comfy shoes. I was quite active right after surgery and it was heavenly when the catheter and IV were removed and I was allowed to put on shorts and a T-shirt rather than the hospital gown I was flashing everyone with! Walk and sip!

Rob
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Great call on the chap stick.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Great call on the chap stick.
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In addition to pillow, chapstick, and ear plugs, I was so glad I had a sleep mask. The IV pumps are lighted and I cannot sleep with ANY light on...also you don't get startled from a sound sleep when the night nurse flips on the overhead lights.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I didn't get Chapstick from the hospital and was so glad to have it. I brought slippers, but they gave me those socks with rubbery soles, which worked really well! I didn't use much of anything else I brought, except my iPhone. It was a godsend - I played music on it and it really helped drown out all the noise and let me get at least a few minutes of sleep.