Hair Loss

Options
LunaGuido
LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
Has anyone experienced any hair loss after surgery? I had RNY on 2/19/15 and have always struggled to get enough protein. I began to notice hair loss in late May and it's continued. Not huge clumps, but a lot more strands than usual. I've been trying to increase the protein and have reconciled myself to having a protein drink every day now, even though I hate them. I'm also taking Biotin. Any other advice? When does the hair stop falling out? I'm so worried I'm going to be bald!

Replies

• brookelayne
    brookelayne Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there. I've been lurking for a while and haven't introduced myself yet, but I'm 12 years post-op of an RNY (and three weeks pre-op for a revision to right-size the pouch and stoma) and thought I could help here.

The hair loss (in my case it was breakage, but I think that's just an ethnicity difference) will stop on its own when your weight stabilizes, but you'll do your body and your hair a great favor by learning to embrace the protein supplements. Have you tried a variety of powders and ready-to-drink ones? Have you tried them prepared different ways? I put one scoop of Dymatize's Iso100 brand chocolate powder in my morning coffee and the coffee completely overwhelms the protein. It just tastes like cocoa in coffee.

If you want to try it (or any protein hot) you have to do it a certain way or it curdles. Mix the protein powder with a 1/4 cup or less of cold liquid first (I use lactose-free milk, but water will work too). Mix it really well, so it's thick but smooth. When you are SURE that it is fully mixed, slowly add the coffee and keep stirring.

I hope that helps.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the protein powder - I have this exact same problem and I haven't been able to mix my Isopure with anything hot. I'll give this a shot and see if it works.

And yes, @LunaGuido, I've noticed the exact same thing lately. I take Biotin and use leave-in conditioner but my hair has become so brittle and just comes out in a handful of strands lately.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I've been very worried about this also. The day I could start taking whole pills again I added Biotin to my daily line up. I'm only 3 weeks post op and hope I won't have any issues but getting that protein in can be tough.

My favorite protein drink is GNC Totally Lean (pre-made bottles) - for some reason I don't care for the Totally Lean Powder. The pre-made drinks are easy to grab in the morning and I can usually drink half in the morning and the other half in the afternoon.

Good luck to anyone dealing with this issue. If I hear of other suggestions I will definitely share them with you.
  • CityGirlInBurbs
    CityGirlInBurbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still pre op, but the nutritionist told us that protein was the key to helping with hair loss. I noticed that the Bariatric Advantage protein shakes also have 50% of daily recommended Biotin. Maybe if you start drinking the shakes you'll get benefit from both. I do mix my chocolate with some instant coffee crystals, truvia and a dash of vanilla. If I closed my eyes and don't think too much, I convince myself it's a frappaccino.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 11 weeks out from VSG surgery and just now expericing hair loss. I average about 75g protein per day. My doctor just encouraged me to take a biotin. I'm only on day 3 of taking it so I'll know over the next week or so if it actually is helping. :smile:
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve in Feb also. Just started noticing hair loss in the last month. I have been taking Biotin since before my surgery but I do struggle with the protein. @brookelayne Thanks for the tips! I think I will try the protein in my coffee...
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I am trying to do a protein smoothie with fruit and yogurt to mask the taste so it's tolerable. I'm trying to get them in everyday. (I've tried so many brands of protein powder - pretty much hate them all, but Body Fortress from Walmart is doable.) Glad I'm on the right track with the Biotin, too. I'll just keep pushing!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My hair has started to grow again, It will come back! I am a year and a few months out and my hair is finally back to where it was.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started taking Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins before surgery and I had very little hair loss. I still take them daily.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Janelle, did it ever get to the point where there were actually bald patches or anything? That's what I'm terrified of!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've had hair loss since about 2 months out, at almost 7 months I think it's finally starting to slow down. I take biotin and make sure to get my protein in, I think that's mostly all you can do, I've read that as your body regulates itself the hair loss slows and eventually stops.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh girl - I am losing my hair something fierce and it is sooooo disheartening!! I take biotin, get in a pretty decent amount of protein daily (usually around 80-90 grams), yet it's still falling out. Been so since about 3 months post-op. I had my surgery on 2/10 and I'm hoping there's an end in sight soon, otherwise I might have to get myself a wig, which isn't the worst thing in the world, I suppose.

Now as for the protein drinks...this is what I do every morning...I mix one Premier Protein (ready-made) vanilla shake with about 6 ounces of french vanilla brewed coffee, some sugar-free Torani vanilla syrup and a couple cups of ice and that makes the BEST iced vanilla coffee ever (for a girl who doesn't like coffee, that is). And it gives me 30 grams of protein to start my day. It's those 30 grams that keep me hitting my protein goals. Without it - I wouldn't.
  • recarp510
    recarp510 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My dietation told me to talk biotin. I still take it today. I had surgery in 2008. It does help a lot. Mine is back to my normal hairloss now.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Early stages after RNY hair loss and thinning nails are common. I found that no matter how much protein I took in didn't change it. Biotin didn't help either. Time was the key. Use a good shampoo, not over the counter stuff. After the first year post op the hair loss will stop. I'm close to 3 years out now and the hair growth is better than ever, nails are strong, bones are healthy, protein and absorption good. Only issue here is that it is really hard to keep that weight down. Actually was told to eat more, not less. Still the weight creeps back up. So, be very diligent with everything in that aspect. Hair wise, use a good volumizing shampoo and "fudge" it for a bit. It'll slow down and will grow normally again. Just be patient.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I started the process follically-challenged. I wasn't sure what I was in for so I started shaving my head about three months pre-surgery. I figured nothing could fall out if it wasn't sticking out! I stopped shaving a couple of months ago (about 8 months post-op) and it seems to have regrown back tot he same state as pre-surgery. I still keep it really short, but I think I survived without any noticeable permanent hairline change.

Plus, I enjoyed the shaved head look. I just wasn't diligent enough at shaving every other day, so i started having more days stubbly than I did clean-shaved!

Not an option for you ladies, but an idea for the gents!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    One of my cousins had RNY and had warned me that even though I did the sleeve, lack of protein would make the hair loss way worse. She recommended a supplement (Biotin or Hair, Skin & Nails) and that if I couldn't get enough protein in to go to GNC and get "protein shots" (not shot with a needle, shot you drink). She said that's what she did in the beginning and it worked well to slow down the hair loss. What I did, per my doctor's advice, was to use an unflavored protein powder that you can add to anything. I used Syntrax. No flavor, but it did change the texture of some foods. Using it in anything with a broth or gravy worked best. Each scoop is an additional 10 grams of protein. I am 4 years out now, the hair loss is really over, most of what I lost grew back, I still take the Biotin as a daily supplement and make sure to get my protein in 99% of the days. Most of us have hair loss, but it's temporary.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I've asked 2 different GNC's for Protein shots and they don't carry them. :( Hoping I don't run into any hair loss issues!!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Be careful with protein shots. Most of those are cellulose or casein, which the variations stomach does not absorb well. You get maybe 30 percent absorption. Isolates are what we process the best
  • LunaGuido
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice everyone! This group rocks!!!