6 weeks in and feeling frustrated

Options
cls67
cls67 Posts: 13 Member
6 weeks ago I started on the journey to increase my daily calories. The first week I went from 1300 to 1800 calories a day. That initial decision was based on a conversation with a friend that was eating at 1800 / day for the last 18 months and have had weight loss success. I had been eating at approx 1300 calories a day and exercising for the last 1.5 years and not making progress so I figured I had nothing to lose but try it.

During my first week of increase I stumbled upon EM2WL and have been following threads ever since. Thankfully Heybales has given me some pointers along the way as well.

dates daily calories Avg TDEE
May 18 to 24 1800 1897
May 25 to 31 1900 2083
Jun 1 to 7 1900 2157
Jun 8 to 14 2000 2132
Jun 15 to 21 1950 2050
Jun 22 to 28 1900 2025

While I haven't been weighing myself every week, starting weight was 165.6.
here is other weight info
May 29 165.8
Jun 5 164.4
Jun 12 167.4
July 2 168

I have been exercising usually 5 days a week (only 4 on the odd occassion). Duration ranges from 20 to 60 minutes - depends on the day. Exercise consists of usually cardio and strength combined (circuit training). That is usually 3 days a week and 2 days is cardio/power walking.

I do use a fitbit flex and I do adjust my activity on it to reflect non step base exercise (ex circuit training or just strength) This is what I use to get my calories http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

My flex is not synced with MFP so I do try to consume the calories indicated above daily, however like many, I too have troubles getting them all in everyday. I do weigh and measure my food.

So now, having given that background, as you can see, I am increasing my calories but my weight is also going up. I am getting quite worried and frustrated. I thought after 6 weeks I should be seeing things balancing out if nothing else.

Anyone have any more thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I can't keep going on this upward scale climb especially when the inches are not changing either. Actually I think my thighs have increase by .5 inches. As you may notice I have gone back to the 1900/day. When I was at the 1800 - 1900 mark thats when the scale dropped a bit so I thought maybe thats my answer.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just a quick thought, but you haven't really gained much weight. That's could be water weight from increasing your calories? Not even three pounds. My weight fluctuates up and down by around 5lbs.

Is 2025 your TDEE with no caloric cut, or is 2025 what you are eating with a caloric deficit? Might be a good idea to do a full metabolic reset after eating 1.5years at 1300 calories :-) just some ideas!

I did a metabolic reset for 3 months after six months of eating at 1200-1500 calories. I ate my full TDEE (2500-2800) for three months before attempting a cut to give my body a chance to reset. These three months also gave me a big chance to work on mental aspects of the weight loss journey. I became less attached to the scale, no more weight everyday. Became less attached to daily fluctuations. Started enjoying outings again with friends more, and not always obsessed about my food. It wasn't easy to stall on my weight loss plan for three months, but was a good idea for me. I just started a caloric cut again a couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes.

If your metabolism is still suppressed and you increased your calories, you could have gained a little fat but 3lbs really isn't much. I'd consider a full metabolic reset and totally take a diet break. Great job with trying something new and fantastic commitment to exercise! How heavy are the weights you lift when circuit training? I've seen better improvements in my body shape since I've up the heaviness of my weights.
  • cls67
    Options
    Manda - The 2025 is my TDEE, no cut yet as my plan was (is) to do the metabolic reset. I figured I would do that for 10 - 12 weeks before doing a cut. I know my TDEE seems low to what I see some people have (like yours). I get my TDEE from my weekly fitbit report.

The circuit training is mostly weight based. The heaviness depends on the muscle groups Im working at the time. Larger muscles like legs - weighted lunges or squats I usually use 8's, sometimes 10's but I am noticing my knees are bothering me so I don't want to push it with the 10's too much. Triceps usually 5's. Laying chest press while lowing legs - 8 or 10. So basically 5, 8 or 10. More times than not, by the time I get to the last few reps, my muscles are burning.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    My FitBit calculated my TDEE much too low. I did my TDEE calculation based just on upping and upping and upping my calories until I actually slowly started to gain fat. Even Scooby at the highest level said 2500 for me or so... I got my FitBit after the fact and I was shocked at how low the numbers were. However, I knew my numbers were right and FitBit was wrong, because I had been eating at 2800 and not gaining any weight. That was just my experience with FitBit Flex. I had way to much None Exercise Activity that the FitBit couldn't account for. I know some people on here really like it and trust theirs, but I still give my FitBit the side glance and mostly use it for counting steps.
    Just something to consider :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So first big jump of almost 500 calories was who knows how long before body responded and sped up.

Obviously did - or you'd be gaining 1 lb weekly still.

But consider 1 lb fat weight from initial big jump.

Rest water weight, based on body finally getting to store what it would like to for the workouts you do.

That increased water is increased LBM, increased metobalism - so a good thing.

Keep at it - the worst is over now probably.

Are workouts getting stronger? - they should be.
    Is it the same routine and same muscles each day? - they should not be.

Also, might try reverse lunges - easier on the knees.
    And confirm good form on the squats. Even if light weight and many reps, need good form.
    Toes pointed slightly out from straight ahead, knees follow the toes, feet about shoulder width apart. Very simplified if you've already looked at video advice.
  • cls67
    Options
    Manda - I can only assume my flex calculates right I guess. Perhaps it doesn't, or perhaps when I am entering my non step exercises I am not using the correct calorie burn - not sure :-(

Heybales - I have been doing a variety of exercises 5 days a week for a while now and surprisingly enough my muscles burn (especially legs) and tire as much as they ever did, even without adding the extra weight to workouts. I do however still use the weights and just push thru it. I do think my arms are a little stronger though. And yes, I would say on occassion some muscles might get worked on back to back days.

Today I am actually starting a total strength challenge for the next month so maybe I will see some improvements with it. I sure hope. I will add a couple cardio walking days each week as well but this is the first week of the strength challenge thru Jessica Smith TV.
    Day #1: 40-Minute Leg Day (did this today July 6th - I'm sure I will have a hard time walking tomorrow )
    Day #2: 20-Minute Awesome Arms and Abs
    Day #3: 30-Minute Strength in Stillness
    Day #4: 20-Minute Strictly Strength
    Day #5: 15-Minute Core Concentration
    Day #6: 35-Minute Straight Up Strength Training
    Day#7: 20-Minute Recovery Day Routine

I only plan to workout 5 days so I will either double up a couple days or just do the first 5 days. Will just mean it will go longer than a month.

In these work outs the lunges are a mix of front, side and back so definitely some variety in there.

So should I just continue to eat between the 1900 & 2000 for while longer?

Thanks Manda and Heybales for your input.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd keep logging those workouts manually as you have been.
    If those are reps of 12-20 and short breaks - use Circuit training on those appropriate days.

I'd suggest if your legs are tiring out, and there are often day after day of same muscles - you aren't allowing recovery - which means you aren't getting as good a workout as you can.

A good workout is going to tear the body down.

But it's the rest for recovery and repair that actually builds it back up, stronger if diet allows.

So if you haven't been allowing rest ("just push through it") - then you've been frankly wasting your workouts.

Suggest don't double up - since exercise is not about weight loss anyway but body transform, give the best bet to allow that to happen.
    That program appears to be laid out well, so just follow it at your own ability. She appears to allow 2 recovery days in there already, stillness is probably yoga, and recovery day routine.

Yoga should be manually logged too.
    Core may be calisthenics though if bodyweight and reps 20 and over.
    The strength days if 5-15 reps would be Weights on Fitbit site for logging.

Keep eating up to whatever the corrected daily maintenance TDEE that Fitbit reports.
  • cls67
    Options
    Thanks again heybales for your input. I never really considered that my legs could be tiring because they are not having enough time to repair in between similar workouts. Hopefully following this program for the next month will improve that for sure.

Her exercises generally consist of ~ 16 reps - first few a little slower just to get form correct than the remaining are fairly quick. Usually 3 sets. The only break during the exercise is just setting up for the next one. So really only a few seconds in between. For these types of exercise I have been considering them as vigorous to get my calorie burn but perhaps I should just be recording them as general.

Because I am so focused on losing weight, I keep forgetting the fact that the exercise is more about body transformation than weight loss.

Sometimes we think we are doing the right thing but not having the proper knowledge it tends to work against us. My gosh, there is so much to learn with all of this. I am so thankful to have found this ground and to keep getting educated.

OK just got another fitbit report today - I will continue to aim for the 2000 daily calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    If rests are that brief - then your ability to lift heavy is arbitrarily constrained purely by the lack of rest between them.
    Even when moving on to different muscles, it can effect the fatigue that finally sets in over the whole body.

For instance, if you feel curious enough to compare some week after a few testing the routines - pause during the setup for the next one for 1-2 min, then unpause and do the next lift.
    You'll likely find that the latter lifts in the routine aren't nearly as hard as normal.

I'd count that as circuit training then if the strength training days are about the same. 16 reps certainly qualifies as that.

If Fitbit has option of Circuit Training General or Vigorous - I'd go for vigorous.

This will likely be a good routine for a month or two.
  • cls67
    Options
    16 reps for sure, sometimes 24 :|

I can't find any options within my fitbit flex to determine the calorie burn so when I manually log the exercise I just use this website (http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm ) ,enter my weight and minutes of exercise and use that number. Circuit training is general, the weight lifting is general or vigorous.

If I am eating at my TDEE, usually within 100 calories (under, not over), is it possible to be gaining weight? How long should I stay at my TDEE before doing a cut and hopefully seeing a weight loss? I don't think I can continue this feeling like a balloon much longer. Any thoughts how long it takes to turn things around?

Sorry for whining, I'm trying to hang in there but its hard.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    Eat More to Weigh Less recommends you stay at your true TDEE for 8-12 weeks. I stayed at mine for just over 12 weeks I think. I never thought I would make it that long. Mentally, I was just wanting to get back to losing weight. But my activity level dropped drastically, and it didn't seem to make sense for me to start a cut then. I had already had to do a major cut to get down to my new TDEE so wasn't very pumped to take more of a cut off of that. I just started a cut a couple of weeks ago and am kind of waiting it out to see how this going to work out for me. I started this part of the journey back in March, so does seem like its taking forever :P I also think it's good to whine about it. It's easier to stick with it when you have people to talk with about it.
  • heybales
    Options
    cls67 wrote: »
    16 reps for sure, sometimes 24 :|

I can't find any options within my fitbit flex to determine the calorie burn so when I manually log the exercise I just use this website (http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm ) ,enter my weight and minutes of exercise and use that number. Circuit training is general, the weight lifting is general or vigorous.

If I am eating at my TDEE, usually within 100 calories (under, not over), is it possible to be gaining weight? How long should I stay at my TDEE before doing a cut and hopefully seeing a weight loss? I don't think I can continue this feeling like a balloon much longer. Any thoughts how long it takes to turn things around?

Sorry for whining, I'm trying to hang in there but its hard.

The calorie burn is not in your Flex - it's on the website where you log your workouts.

Type in Circuit Training.

That site you are using is the same database that Fitbit and MFP use, though not all entries are used by all.
    But that site and MFP convert the formula to be used with weight only.
    Fitbit leaves it in original form to be used with your resting calorie burn - more accurate.

You are eating at potential TDEE. Or attempting to get up to it, and attempting to get body to burn that much.

Whatever lower level you used to be eating at and not losing weight, or gaining - was your literal TDEE right then obviously - as that's the definition of TDEE and eating there.

So you are trying to get your screwed up body to speed back up to potential - rather than be suppressed.

Your real TDEE was 1300 calories with all the workouts you did.

That should sound really scary. Because what if you got sick, injured, vacation, overate, ect?
    How low must you eat to then keep from gaining fat, or how little to eat over 1300 to start gaining fat?
  • cls67
    Options
    So as I indicated I am doing a 28 day challenge (SummerOfStrength Challenge ). Each week we get sent a new schedule.
    This was week 1
    Day #1: 40-Minute Leg Day
    Day #2: 20-Minute Awesome Arms and Abs
    Day #3: 30-Minute Strength in Stillness
    Day #4: 20-Minute Strictly Strength
    Day #5: 15-Minute Core Concentration
    Day #6: 35-Minute Straight Up Strength Training
    Day#7: 20-Minute Recovery Day Routine

Heybales - You indicated this would be good to follow for a month or 2. This is the 2nd week of exercise. To my surprise it doesn't appear to be near as much strength (none really), this one is endurance.

Day #8: 52-Minute Ballet Burn
    Day #9: 30-Minute Cardio Kickboxing Abs
    Day #10: 60-Minute Pilates/Yoga Fusion Flow
    Day #11: 30-Minute Pilates Total Body
    Day #12: 40-Minute Yoga for Back Pain
    Day #13: 40-Minute Yoga Tone
    Day #14: 30-Minute Full Body Stretch, Rest and Relax

So now I am a little undecided. Not sure if to do this week of workouts or stick to the strength ones. I kind of like the look of last weeks better than these. Do you think I should continue with another week of the strength ones instead of these?

Thanks all
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm wondering if they are allowing a tad recovery for those really not used to resistance training, and the 3rd week will be back at it.

Some of those days might allow you to discover some really inflexible tight areas that would impede a good lift, so better to discover and workout it out before getting in to heavier things.

So the knowledge could be useful down the road. Then again - you could be fully aware of where you don't bend where you'd like to, and know what lifts will need some form work for flexibility.
  • lisajeanah
    lisajeanah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I am going to get some negative responses from this post, but before you undertake EM2WL, consider it very carefully, especially if you are over 50. For the first time in quite a while, I managed to get through the holidays without gaining any weight. I enjoyed them and ate the holiday foods that I love, but I managed the portions.

I began EM2WL in January and have now gained ten pounds that will not budge! I exercise regularly, always have, but because of the extra weight I am now carrying, my joints hurts, I don't have as much energy, I feel gross, my clothes don't fit, and my digestive system is completely out of wack. I am now at my heaviest other than when I was pregnant!

I do agree that 1200 per day is not enough. I have upped my calories to my BMR and on most days, I eat back my exercise calories. I am slowly starting to lose some weight, but honestly, my body is so screwed up from the experimentation, I'm not sure if that will work either.

I don't believe you should stuff yourself if you're not hungry. You should listen to your body and eat when you are hungry and don't eat when you're not just reach a calorie goal. Plus, it's better to eat based on your daily needs, not weekly...how does your body know what a week is???

This was the biggest mistake I ever made and now I have 10 more pounds to lose. I was very frustrated and angry, but I was the one who made the decision and now I have live with it. My husband tried it as well and it didn't work for him either. He went off of it and has lost four pounds.

Good luck to those of you using EM2WL. I have seen the testimonials and it appears to works for SOME people; although, it really looks like most of that is due to weight training and exercise. I wish you well!
  • heybales
    Options
    The principle of eating slightly less than you burn to only lose fat works for everyone.

The question is do you have a body healthy enough to burn full steam to eat slightly less than?

And do you know what that average burn is to eat less than?

If you slowly kept going up 10 lbs total - then you misunderstood the concept that you should always eat appropriately for your level of activity.

And while in a diet to lose weight - that means less than you burn by reasonable amount.

While I'd normally agree with you to some extent - your body can and does fool you.
    Why do you think the vast majority even have anything to lose in the first place?
    If one actually educates themselves on how the body works and fully understands how hunger signals are not reliable at all times for all reasons - then yes.

I'll disagree on the weekly daily thing - how does your body know when midnight is for a day?
    It's actually those slight changes in actual deficit being created that can help a body not see consistently the same deficit every day.

I think your comment there shows you might not have actually understood the concept, because it's merely a weekly look at total activity averaged back out to daily level, to allow for better planning because you eat the same amount daily. And depending on exercise routine and daily burn, it is indeed not the best way all the time.
    Again - eating appropriately for level of activity.

Like any diet - if someone goes in to it not understanding things - they can foul it up.

Look how many foul up MFP because they don't even follow the program and despite needing to do something, still think they know better.

"Some" - care to share an knowledgeable number on success vs failure numbers to come by that choice of terminology?

Let go of your emotion on it - it won't help stress level and won't help weight loss.