IF and LCHF combined, how has your experience been?

Options
shrinkinmama27
shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
Looking into starting 16-8 IF with my LCHF diet, wondering if any of you could share your stories of how it has/hasn't worked for you.

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do a rough version of 16-8 most days - i.e. I don't eat breakfast. It helps me have enough calories for the meals I do want to eat and I am losing a steady 1lb per week which is my aim. Good luck!
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been at moderate low carb (~100 grams/day) and losing ~1 lb/week. In the last 2 weeks, I've done 3 fasts each lasting ~40 hours. My rate of weight loss has increased to 1.5 lb/week. I intend to keep this up the rest of the month and re-evaluate.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I love it! I did 16:8 for years before I tried keto, and actually with keto my feeding window sometimes shrinks even more. I think the 2 systems work very well together.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm posting just because I haven't done a ton of IF intentionally.... although I have done it without setting out to do so. What has been great for me is that it is teaching me to not eat if I'm not hungry. As a habitual eater (stress, emotions, boredom, etc) I find breaking that pattern is HUGE for me. So basically I have begun intermittent fasting about 5 days a week without a "plan" or an "I'm now going to do this". And it works.

One of the wonderful things about IF is that it prepares you for the times when you sit down to a meal you're invited in or find yourself at a restaurant where there are NO lo-carb options. Simply saying "I'm good, thanks", and eating nothing is the best option, and because my hunger is under control it is no big deal. For me this is a really big deal, because I'm working on strategy / mindset for Lo-Carb eating LONG term.

I'm sure being more intentional in the process is great, but for now staying clearly Keto is planning enough for me. Later, I'll do some more experimenting.
  • shrinkinmama27
    shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! Today is my first day IF. Typically I'm not really hungry until lunch anyways, but I eat something because I think that I HAVE to. Well today, I'm starving! LOL! Must be my brain playing games!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! Today is my first day IF. Typically I'm not really hungry until lunch anyways, but I eat something because I think that I HAVE to. Well today, I'm starving! LOL! Must be my brain playing games!

I had that same problem in the beginning, I think it was all mental, you get very accustomed to a schedule any changes can be tricky at first, I don't have that hunger feeling anymore
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Check out the stickied thread at the top of the group for the July IF challenge if you haven't already, there are a bunch of updates in there
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost the hunger PAIN/PANG. I can cruise past the 16 hour window no problem, but I make sure to stay hydrated with green tea or water or soda water. I started LCHF 50 days ago, and IF I'm a haphazard way last week in June. Most days I am consistent with IF even if I jump into a bag of movie Popcorn. I can't parse which method is the ticket, but using them together I am on a steady downward trend even though I've had some bad days.
    Most important for sticking with something is to actually enjoy it. Give it a go for a week or two, and assess.
    I like feeling real hunger sometimes now. And il love the feeling I get as I cruise past 16 hours to 18 and more some days. I am learning to think before I eat!!

...now if I could just learn to think before I speak...
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So I am relatively new here and I don't know anything about this IF...I think it means intermittent fasting? Can one of you explain the basics or tell me if there is another thread explaining it?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So I am relatively new here and I don't know anything about this IF...I think it means intermittent fasting? Can one of you explain the basics or tell me if there is another thread explaining it?

Ya, IF=intermittent fasting. The basics are, eat the same amount of food but in less time. This can be on a daily scale or a weekly scale.
    So, a example day scale is 16:8 (don't eat for 16 hours, eat your meals during an 8 hour period) or "Fast5" (aka 19:5) ... Warrior Diet *kinda* is 23:1 but in the original book he had people eating fruit and juice during the day which isn't really fasting.
    Weekly scale would be Brad Pilon's Eat-Stop-Eat which has 1 or 2 24h periods of not eating in a week. Dr. Jason Fung does 24- 36h fasts a couple times a week for diabetes treatment. "Up day, Down Day" or ADF (Alternate Day Fasting) has you alternate between maintenance calories and ultra low calories (~500/day) ...

There are several potential benefits to IF (longevity benefits similar to caloric restriction, better nutrient partitioning, etc.) but there's not a lot of good long term human studies.
    People often find by sticking to an IF schedule they are able to maintain a caloric deficit without as much willpower as when they're trying to eat smaller meals all week long.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for the month of July. So far nothing is different.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat until 2-3pm so it works pretty well for me
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't deliberately do IF. But on weekdays I will have a coffee with 1tblspn butter and 1 tblspn of coconut oil in the morning (travel flask stays hot for 5 hours so I can stretch it out). I work mornings only so I don't eat until I get home at 12:30pm. I find it easy to do, I don't have to pack food for work and I can easily wait til lunchtime to eat. On the weekends though I will have bacon and eggs kinda late morning with my OH, but then we often wont eat until dinner time.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    .. on weekdays I will have a coffee with 1tblspn butter and 1 tblspn of coconut oil in the morning .... and I can easily wait til lunchtime to eat. On the weekends though I will have bacon and eggs kinda late morning with my OH, but then we often wont eat until dinner time.

This is exactly what i was doing for a good while up until the start of this week. Gotta love BPC but im undecided whether i actually see any weight-loss improvements over consuming the same amount of solid food for breakfast. It sure is tasty and convenient though and enables you to keep your calories fairly low over the course of breakfast/lunchtime, so im keeping BPC in my arsenal i think.

I decided to go for water fasts, starting as of yesterday, (well, maybe technically its not actually a water fast, b/c i have black coffee with no sweetener, unsweetened fruit tea & zero soda whilst fasting - but hopefully its still a viable fast, though?). I found the water fast easier and more enjoyable (yes enjoyable! - i couldnt believe it either!) than a BP Fast, due to more satiation, more energy & much better mood. And the results on the scale were most favorable with the water fast,

I did try water fasting again today, so 2 days consecutive. Im not doing that again, and going by my single experience i wouldnt recommend it either ! Well at least not aiming for 18+hrs both days. I managed 19 hours fast today (22.5 hrs yesterday), but this time i was hungry the whole time and it actually ended up making me sick, plus i couldnt exercise as planned either, so not as successful as yesterday. I think its probably best to aim for alternate days IFing, max, now. Today wasnt fun at all. :neutral:

• itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ive never tried this intentionally. Does it positively impact metabolism/weight loss? The concept is interesting. I'd be afraid that I'd over eat because I was hungry though.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ive never tried this intentionally. Does it positively impact metabolism/weight loss? The concept is interesting. I'd be afraid that I'd over eat because I was hungry though.

Its similar to exercise. Some people exercise and burn 1,000 calories. After the exercise, they are more hungry than normal and hopefully they won't eat more than they just burned off. Fasting will make you hungrier, your body is designed that way to keep you from dying/starving. So the plan is to NOT eat more, and burn the fat during the fasting portion.

I water fast and skip a day of eating. Besides all the other multitude of benefits you get from fasting, I try to take in less carbs after my fast. But sometimes I blow it :( and eat too much afterwards. Same dynamic as exercising and eating too much afterwards...

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    92 pounds down, 32 to go.

My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @DittoDan - Do you always feel hungrier after your water fasts? Often? Sometimes? Rarely? :) Im just wondering whether this extra hunger is a given, or if you can reasonably expect to bank a few unused calories post-fast, on occasion. As it is, i wonder if you actually eat more calories on average when you fast, due to the increased hunger the following day? But then, does an increase in metabolism essentially take care of that?

Sooo many questions about fasting!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan - Do you always feel hungrier after your water fasts? Often? Sometimes? Rarely? :) Im just wondering whether this extra hunger is a given, or if you can reasonably expect to bank a few unused calories post-fast, on occasion. As it is, i wonder if you actually eat more calories on average when you fast, due to the increased hunger the following day? But then, does an increase in metabolism essentially take care of that?

Sooo many questions about fasting!

I need to make a blog about my experiences. I just have to find the time.

Yes, I am hungry, but the level of hunger is only slightly more than normal. In other words, I am less hungry than when I was a carboholic after 4 hours of not eating carbs. When I was a carboholic, I physically would salivate at the sight, smell or even talking about food. Not anymore, and not after a fast. Actually, if I keep busy doing things, I can extend my fast. I don't know about metabolism, I don't know how I would test that and anything I surmised would just be pure conjecture. There are too many variables in my life. Not hardly one day is the same with me. You give me a metabolism meter and I'll check myself... :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    92 pounds down, 32 to go.
  • itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info DittoDan!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Haha, good point Dan