Getting back on track

Options
radiii
radiii Posts: 422 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
So first, I uploaded a picture. I haven't let anyone take my picture in about 3 years, and I do HATE this picture, WHY IS MY FACE SO RED (because its 95 degrees in the south, I assume, whatever). But uploading it is reasonably big step, I've been on keto for over 18 months now and have been posting here for awhile, seemed like something I wanted to do.

Anyway, on to the main point of my post. I *haven't* been posting for a month or so. I fell off the wagon fairly hard. My weight had been stalled around 250 since February'ish, and I've been frustrated. For a few weeks I was finding myself cheating for one meal every weekend, but getting right back on the horse. Then I went into full and complete binge mode, no need to go over foods, I don't think that's helpful, but I fell into very old habits of eating crappy fast food nearly every meal, eating a dessert of some sort after nearly every meal, there were certainly days where I ate upwards of 5000 calories and all of it was VERY carb heavy.

Earlier this week I saw 269 on the scale, up almost 20 pounds, certainly not all water weight. I also found out that I might be taking a trip to Atlanta, where I lived for 12 years, for my job. The last time any of my coworkers or friends in Atlanta saw me, I weighed about 350 pounds. I didn't know when I'd be getting back down to Atlanta but I'd told a select few people how much weight I'd lost and I've really been looking forward to seeing the reaction from everyone. The idea of binging out and gaining a bunch of weight before I went down there was really disappointing.

So, I'm back on track, as of Wednesday. I've had 3 perfect days, I'm eating a ton, I'm craving bad *kitten* all the time, but just eating so that I'm quite sastisfied, basically following my own advice that I've given newbies here over and over and over to get through that first week or two until the cravings subside. I've already dropped 4 pounds of water weight back, I think I'm actually finally back on track for real.

Anyway, after 18 months on keto, I finally had my first slip-up, shoulda posted here for support sooner but, I'm back now, so hi again guys!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. You got this, and we'll be keeping an eye on you. :)

Those weekly cheat meals are DANGEROUS and senseless. You know that carbs beget more carbs, so don't do it again. :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well done for getting back on the horse. Stick with it - you know what you're doing by the sounds of it, so just commit fully to plan and you will knock your friend's socks off when you get to Atlanta.

Im with Wabmester on the cheat meals. Actually i was talking about this last night on someone else's post. I choose to have no cheat meals whatsoever because the repercussions are too great. Its not because im stronger than people who allow themselves to cheat, or superior in any way, its because i realise my own limitations and i know that if i have a carby cheat meal the cravings will come back and i will have to go through withdrawals again. I dont know if im strong enough to put myself in that nasty position again (it took me a full month to get over the carb flu when i converted to keto and i do NOT want to go through that again!).
    Also i feel like ive commited to keto now and i dont want any cheats to kick me out of keto or cause me to gain weight (water or not). I work way too hard the rest of the time to even consider undoing all that hard work with one cheat meal (that leads to two, three, etc).
    Plus theres always the benefit that if you avoid carby cheats and get over your cravings, this WOE has so many gorgeous foods that i really dont feel deprived at all.
    I find that if im feeling run-down or in need of a pick me up (i stick to very low calories a lot of the time so it can zap you every now and again) i just up my calories, anywhere up to maintenance (max), for a day or so, sometimes for the whole weekend, whilst still keeping my carbs as low as possible (below 20g) just to re-set my metabolism, allowing myself to indulge in more delicious keto foods than i would normally. That to me feels like a treat, but i havent cheated.
    Also, on my higher calorie reset days, it allows me to fit in a keto-ized treat if i feel like it (like a keto cake, keto cheesecake, Keto bread, keto pizza, w/e).
    For me, all of that works better than going off plan.

Anyhoo, its great that you're back at it, and logging in again. You can do this!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Ooh and i just thought to say, i was a dessert junkie pre-keto. Even if i was stuffed full with dinner i still found myself in the fridge looking for something sweet to finish off my meal - i didnt feel like id had a proper dinner without some kind of pud' at the end. But ive discovered that if i save enough calories after my meal for a protein shake (good quality isolate, nice flavors - i use Optimum Nutrition brand and love it. My favorites are Vanilla Ice-Cream & Caramel Toffee Fudge flavors), and i make it with a bit of HWC and water, instead of milk, i get that sweet, creamy taste akin to a dessert, but im helping my macros, not working against them. I usually save enough calories to add 1 tbsp MCT Oil/Coconut Oil to the protein shake too, because i work out at night and it helps give me a little more energy for lifting weights, but you could add a more generous serving of HWC if you dont want the MCT Oil/Coconut Oil. Trust me, its really yummy, and i now i use that as my dessert i havent felt the need for ANY keto treats/puddings for a good long while. Try it, and see how you like it. You might be surprised.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I quit sinking my own battleship

Cheat days and all that are not for me

The same as recording food diary wrong just so it looks good, and banking ? calories for a cheat day

Just eat right and record it Is best for me !

It works!!!

Welcome back and best wishes that this will be the time you reach your goal!

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    No cheats, ever, I don't personally subscribe to this way of eating, I can't figure out what the point is?!
    Glad to see you back on track, stick with it so when you go to Atlanta you will blow everyone's mind, and your own! Just think how good it will feel! My best wishes!
  • radiii
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the initial cheat was not an "oh, it's ok if its just this once" cheat, it was 100% a stress response to a situation w/ a couple family members that I found overwhelmingly anxiety-producing... combined w/ the fact that my weight had stalled for awhile, I had a brief response of "ah screw it, why bother" and cheated. Things kind of cascaded from there.

@CoconuttyMummy - I've gone back and forth on the sweeter treats over the last year and a half. I used to make some fat bombs with a little dark chocolate and peanut butter and coconut oil and I loved them, but I felt sometimes that they made me want more sweet tasting things. Keto ice cream is really good too. I was drinking protein shakes after workouts for a little while, the mint chocolate optimum nutrition flavor, with almond milk, very tasty! I still have a lot of that left actually, I never did try HWC or coconut/mct oil in them, maybe. Those shakes never gave me cravings like the fat bombs can, I just dropped them in preference for more meat instead basically :D But I may have one on occasion if I'm looking for a different taste.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @radii - To be honest, im the same - Even Keto treats can fire up the desire to eat MORE because they taste so good. It doesnt make me crave carbs so much nowadays... just more keto cake :) That's another reason i dont make them very often lately. I figure i couldnt eat cake or w/e on a regular low-calorie diet, so why would eating it every day on keto be much better. Sure if it fits your macros its all good, but im trying to re-educate myself to make better food choices, and staying away from these treats definitely helps me feel more in control, cuts cravings, and, like you, allows me to eat more MEAT!

Definitely re-visit the protein shakes.. and trust me, the addition of HWC makes it taste so decadent, like a proper high calorie sugar-loaded ice-cream filled creamy milkshake, but better actually. You could even top it with a little whipped cream if you had enough calories left. All that gorgeousness, ups your protein for LBM, fills you up nicely & keeps your protein & fat macros balanced. Purrfect!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have had good luck with cheats.. oh well, ok luck. I don't make keto sweets (except the occasional cream for strawberries, but I actually prefer them without). I have been able to have a BITE of cake, just to taste it, once I had 3 mini desserts and I have had a few days (birthday) when I went way over my carbs (to have Mexican food), but I was able to get right back. One day of Keto flu. I was worth it to me. Maybe once a month. This last time though, it's not the carbs that have gotten to me, but I am just hungrier. OR more greedy.... But this is for life for me, so the occasional something is ok, as long as it's not too often. Been a lot of eating out lately.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Those shakes never gave me cravings like the fat bombs can, I just dropped them in preference for more meat instead basically :D But I may have one on occasion if I'm looking for a different taste.

I have had a similar experience with fat bombs-- they do not satiate ame and in fact, I end up eating more. My solution is much like yours- more protein-- that totally does the trick!

Life long weight loss is going to have ups and downs-- it is just how it is. You put some weight back on-- but you have gotten back on track before too much damage was done-- AWESOME!! Focus on you doing the RIGHT thing-- not so much on what you did before that resulted in some regain. You got this!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed that you owned up to your cheats and came back. I would have slunk into a hole. Impressive. Good job on coming back.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @radiii, welcome back on the wagon, here I'll share my seat with you. My favorite mantra on this woe is "own it, log it and let it go." I agree with @professionalHobbyist, cheat days are not my style. Not to say I've never gone over or had things I shouldn't (damn Chinese buffet). Don't beat yourself up for what you coulda, shoulda, woulda. I think you're great coming back, owning it and moving on. I'm proud of you!
  • radiii
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Earlier this week I saw 269 on the scale, up almost 20 pounds

5 good days, back to 262, so the water weight has mostly come off, I assume. This week will be no problem at all now I'm fairly certain. Next week travelling and being in an office for a week will be a test I imagine. I work from home, haven't done either of those things since I started keto, so that will be interesting.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was there too from December-May. I almost died in a car accident and told myself I should eat all the food I want but had stopped because I know I can't have it - weight gain and painful swelling, etc. It tasted great but I was not feeling great.

I hope your stressors are resolved. Good luck with your test next week. There is a current thread about office lunches and snacks that may give you a few ideas. I don't know if you
  • radiii
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I was there too from December-May. I almost died in a car accident and told myself I should eat all the food I want but had stopped because I know I can't have it - weight gain and painful swelling, etc. It tasted great but I was not feeling great.

Damn! I am glad you are ok!

I hope your stressors are resolved.

Some are, some are worse with no signs of changing any time soon, but I've been doing this for a pretty darn long time now, and I've dealt with lots of different kinds of stress over the last 18 months and this is the first serious slip I've had. I've been confident that once I could get back on track for a week or so without having a slip up that things would be completely back to normal for me, in terms of diet.
    Good luck with your test next week. There is a current thread about office lunches and snacks that may give you a few ideas.

Thanks. I think it'll be fine. My main concern is a company lunch they're having for someone who is leaving. It might be pizza or sandwiches or something. I've known some of these guys for 10+ years though, including the CEO of the company, so I'm comfortable talking to them about it and making sure I've got something I can eat. I'll bring almonds and pork rinds and toss some pepperoni and cheese in the fridge there. I normally don't snack much during the day, but I'll make sure I'm prepared just in case.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Fast food and high carbs just taste so darn good sometimes and it's so easy to mindlessly eat. I've been eating mostly low carb in front of co-workers without issue.

The pizza luncheon will likely have a salad and maybe just eat the guts of the sandwiches.

I'm confident you'll keep on track and if you slip again you'll know you can get back on track having experienced this.
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good for you.. getting back on track.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    ToadQueen- I almost died in a car accident

Hi ToadQ…are you able to exercise the way you want? I was in a head-on 12/2009…and now 5 years later it is a real struggle to get my right hip to function without severe pain..was OK for a while never stopped walking daily…but going backwards is a shock…..age and increased disability mean LCHF really is the only solution for me! ( I used to walk 2+ miles a day...now if I can manage 1 mile/35 minutes I am happy…I look back at how easy it was to just 'go' and do whatever…miss those days.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I was in a high speed head-on last October. Some young guy got distracted and plowed into me. I do not remember it. They put me in a coma to shut me up in the ER. I am not allowed to exercise yet per doctor's orders. I really want to and do some walking and light weights. I had to have most of my small intestines removed and had a broken leg, crushed disks and torn tendon and a fracture in my right pinky. Only the leg has healed. My pinky healed out of alightment and it is hard to grasps things light weights. I can only walk a little bit without a cane. I only lost 10-15 lbs while in a coma for 3 weeks!

I was eating keto before the accident and know it is the best way of eating for me. Since I started again, I feel so much better but I do miss not being in pain all the time and exercising. I was concerned that all the protein would be rough on the intestines but I joined a WLS group and was told that they eat alot of protein. They eat LF though but no one could explain why.

Sorry, if this is considered a hi-jack.