Pork rinds- where to buy them?

Options
LittleMamaVas
LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
Hi guys, I've glanced around for pork rinds on my last grocery trip and couldn't find them. Is this a common item? In what isle is it usually found? I'm in Canada btw.

Replies

• MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I usually find them in the same area as potato and tortilla chips. They might be called pork scratchings or chicharrones.
  • jamieandjason
    jamieandjason Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find them in most grocery stores in the chip aisle .
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario and while I have occasionally spotted them in the chip aisle at Loblaws, Bulk Barn is your best bet.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    At home I find then right next to the bottle of Beano :)
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time too and found them on the very bottom shelf of the chip isle-after a worker told me they didn't have them.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The kind I get is called fried pork skins.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Baken-ets is the Frito-Lay brand sold in Canada - you can mail order them also here: http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pork+rinds
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...pork rinds. They make a wonderful vehicle for guacamole or salsa and sour cream.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Drug stores that carry food, delis and gas station convenience stores were always a good source for me
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sobey's is where I get mine. Had a heck of a time finding them too. Old Dutch bacon puffs.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can also order them online (from Amazon or Lowry's and all the other usual places). Lowry's offers envelopes to microwave--like popcorn. Freshly "popped" they taste even better, but like popcorn not all pieces "pop".
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm in New Zealand but I saw them here where salted nuts, dried meats and popcorn were the other day.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I'm in Manitoba and I just got back from Bulk Barn where I buy "Sunasia" brand chicharrons. The ingredients are just pork rinds and sea salt. Some of the major grocery stores carry Old Dutch Bacon puff, which are similar. Superstore does not carry anything) in my city anyway), without weird ingredients like MSG and wheat and other stuff. They have theirs in the ethnic section but I avoid those. Or you can find someone who makes them.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Wow..... here in the Southern US you can't go too far into the chip isle without coming across several different brands LOL. Yay for rednecks!

I would second Amazon. I however can't stand them, yuck, so you can gladly have my share.