Ashwagandha?

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
Does anyone who is on synthroid use this? If so, when do you take it? What dose do you use? What do you feel are the effects? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was not familiar with this herb. I won't be able to try it as it is in the nightshade family. It looks great for strength, endurance and boosting immunity.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in this as well but haven't tried it yet. I'll be watching this for feedback also.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is one of three supplements that my doctor has me taking, all of which are (I think) to support the adrenal system and combat hypothyroid symptoms. The first is Rhodiola, which he told me to take when I wake up (it boosts energy). The second is Ashwagandha, which he told me to take with dinner (it gets the body ready to think about sleep). The third is PS100, which he told me to take when going to bed (I think it is supposed to help with brain fog). Honestly, I forget the AShwagandha most days, but the Rhodiola is amazing.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of either of these, but am going to ask my doctor about both. I'll let you know what he says.
  • slieber
    Options
    How long does the Rhodiola energy boost last? Do you also take synthroid or levothyroxin?
  • Cricket1515
    Options
    I'm on Armour Thyroid.

The Rhodiola is interesting. It's not like caffeine. I read up on it and came across an analogy that made sense. Caffeine is like putting more gas in your gas tank. Rhodiola is more like increasing the size of the tank.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    How long does the Rhodiola energy boost last? Do you also take synthroid or levothyroxin?

Nutritional supplements are something to take in addition your meds, rather than instead of them.

And always discuss them with your doctor(s).
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my doctor and he cleared me to try both of the supplements if I'd like. He only said that if I get any anxiety or heart racing to give him a call right away. So we'll see...
  • slieber
    Options
    I have been using the Ashwagandha for a few days. No side effects. Feeling slightly more energetic, but I'm not on the full, recommended dose (bottle recommendation) as a precaution. I'll order the Rhodiola and see how that goes. Thanks for the feedback!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So intrigued by these supplements! Going to give them a try also!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Asheagandha: I saw this on WebMd. It also noted that it might increase thyroid function. So watch for that.
    “Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Ashwagandha might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using ashwagandha.

I'm going to try the Rhidiola. It appears that the PS100 works similarly on cortisol levels so I will skip that one for now. I must say I am very intrigued and look forward to trying this!
  • slieber
    Options
    I also investigated. I WANT to increase my thyroid function. No worries on the listed disorders. I have celiac, and dairy intolerance and allergy, but that's it. I started the rhodiola but no discernible change as yet.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Great! Keep us posted!
  • Cricket1515
    Options
    Ashwagandha might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using ashwagandha.

Interesting. Well, I have Hashimoto's, but my doctor recommended it anyway.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    [ have Hashimoto's, but my doctor recommended it anyway.

Everyone should talk to their endocrinologist before taking Ashwagandha or Rhidiola.