July Q&A Thread

SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Hey!

Got any questions you'd like to ask Sara or SideSteel?

Feel free to post them in this thread. All questions are welcome however we won't do things like program design or more in depth types of things. But don't let that you shy away from asking what's on your mind!

Thanks!
Patrick

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    IN
  • SideSteel
    edited July 2015
    Is it reasonable to expect, with all things being in line(diet, training), that without the sauce(roids), someone doing a lean bulk can gain around 1 pound of muscle per month?

Depends largely on training experience. Lyle has a really great write up on this, and it seems that he, Alan, Martin (and I believe Casey Butt) all seem to be in general agreement with potential rates of gain.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

Cliffs: Yes that's reasonable for most people.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Id like to read some smarty pants books about conditioning and weight training. And maybe some smarty pants books about developing sport and strength fundamentals in children. Any recommendations? And also, how do you talk to children about nutrition without inducing food shame and risking orthorexia?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Above 20% fat for a male are there any hormonal benefits to a carb refeed? or would it just be psychological? I was thinking that if I am typically running a gram of carbs per # that bumping it up once a week to replenish glycogen might be a good idea... or maybe I am trying to gice myself an excuse to eat a ton of fruity pebbles once a week.
  • SideSteel
    andylllI wrote: »
    Id like to read some smarty pants books about conditioning and weight training. And maybe some smarty pants books about developing sport and strength fundamentals in children. Any recommendations? And also, how do you talk to children about nutrition without inducing food shame and risking orthorexia?

Practical Programming by Rippetoe and Kilgore for general resistance training.
    Not sure on the question re books on training for children.

Regarding talking to children that's really an excellent question. My opinion (key word, opinion) is that introducing the concept of moderation is a great idea. I certainly wouldn't label foods as good or bad but I'd talk about the benefits of fruits and vegetables/etc and possibly identify characteristics of foods without the labeling.

That's my opinion anyway.
  • SideSteel
    Above 20% fat for a male are there any hormonal benefits to a carb refeed? or would it just be psychological? I was thinking that if I am typically running a gram of carbs per # that bumping it up once a week to replenish glycogen might be a good idea... or maybe I am trying to gice myself an excuse to eat a ton of fruity pebbles once a week.

I doubt it would have much of any physiological benefit but I'd also doubt that it would have much physiological benefit for lean people either. Now having said that, most of my information on refeeds funnels down from other people in the industry who I trust to put out reliable info (Aragon, Helms, Lyle, etc).

There's been speculation for a few years now that single day refeeds aren't doing much of anything from a hormonal standpoint because while leptin goes up acutely, it apparently shoots right back down again once the deficit is re-introduced. It's possible that diet breaks or multi day refeeds could have a stronger/more lasting effect.

Now having said that, it's important to clarify that they can do a lot of good from a diet adherence standpoint and that's absolutely a good enough reason to keep them in.

So if you want to smash some fruity pebbles every now and then, and you're able to adhere to your diet most of the time, and make progress, then refeeding is a fine idea.

Now having said all of this, I'm going to ask Alan and Helms and see if they have anything different to say about this.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm just two months into strength training, doing a modified Stronglifts 5 X 5. ( I hired a trainer at my gym to show me how to do the exercises safely and he suggested a few more reps on some exercises but lighter weights and added a few things like pullups, dips, lunges, etc. that are not part of the 5 X 5. )

My newbie question is this: I know you're not supposed to be able to build muscle while in a deficit, but I think I feel muscles where I couldn't feel them before, like in my back and hamstrings. Also, when I run things are definitely not as "jiggly" as they were before. Lol.

I haven't lost much weight since I started strength training (unintential maintenance break) so could it possibly be muscle or do your regular muscles just feel harder after a workout for some reason?
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    andylllI wrote: »

Practical Programming by Rippetoe and Kilgore for general resistance training.
    Not sure on the question re books on training for children.

Regarding talking to children that's really an excellent question. My opinion (key word, opinion) is that introducing the concept of moderation is a great idea. I certainly wouldn't label foods as good or bad but I'd talk about the benefits of fruits and vegetables/etc and possibly identify characteristics of foods without the labeling.

That's my opinion anyway.

I've been telling my almost four year old that his body needs lots of different foods and that his tummy won't be happy with him if he eats too much of any one thing. It's a conscious effort though to avoid labelling a food "healthy" or "unhealthy". And a different way than I was taught to think about food and still do. And the questions are just going to get more difficult as he gets older.

Thanks for the book recommendation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I'll add if doing a big endurance cardio day - that works great, or just eating at TDEE the day before, and then the big cardio day, take bigger deficit since you likely burned more fat anyway and could handle a bigger deficit.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    heybales wrote: »

I'll add if doing a big endurance cardio day - that works great, or just eating at TDEE the day before, and then the big cardio day, take bigger deficit since you likely burned more fat anyway and could handle a bigger deficit.

Right now I'm doing 5/3/1 w/ BBB and lifting 4 days and trying to run a 3 miler, a 5 mile trail run and enough other runs to hit at least 10 miles... I feel like I run better fasted but I do tend to eat some carbs the meal before the 5 mile run.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2015
    Oh yeah, that's not the kind of distance or endurance that needs glucose packed in the muscles, unless flat out sprinting the distance, which I'm betting not.
    You just need high enough blood sugar to think straight and see and react to tree roots fast enough. Which fasted is probably good enough.

I was thinking along the lines of 3-4 hrs of decent intensity bike ride or run.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    The real question is, where is Sara and why has she abandoned us? Doesn't she love us anymore?
  • SideSteel
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    The real question is, where is Sara and why has she abandoned us? Doesn't she love us anymore?

Ice cream went on sale.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Ice cream went on sale.

:sunglasses:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Is there any particular way to reduce visceral fat, or is it just like every other fat--no spot reduction, just lose overall fat?
  • HaradyR
    HaradyR Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    The gym I'm in for the next two weeks (and one previously) has a Smith machine but is very definitely geared towards upper body training. I've been modifying one of the slanted bench press benches to squat - the dip in the bench means I'm able to squat but at best only to parallel (at worst a few inches off). I'm still making strength gains, although I'm assuming that when I get back home I might have to deload a bit, because at the moment I'm pretty sure most of the weight is on my quads. I was basically just wondering if doing partial/parallel squats with decent form for a few weeks will make much of a difference/if there are any implications (I realise it isn't the same as doing a proper squat, but if I'm still able to keep adding weight and am maintaining decent form, does this matter)? Or would it just be better to get on the Smith machine?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,901 Member
    I object to your separation of "parallel squats" and "proper squats" as two different things. There are certainly arguments for going as deep as possible, but for some people parallel IS as deep as possible. It is still a squat.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,901 Member
    Can I have your arms? lol (I've made progress on my arms, but not as much nor as easily as I'd like.)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    I've been mainly lifting in the 8–12 rep range so far but I'll start a new programme in August that includes 3–5 reps for one exercise per workout as a strength focus. I can't do heavy regular squats for medical reasons and am wondering what exercise would be best to use for the lower rep range? I can do single leg presses, step ups, Bulgarian split squats and maybe box squats to about parallel if my new gym has a bench that's low enough (I'm short so with most benches I'm still above parallel, which is why I haven't included box squats so far).
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    What all upper body workouts can I do with a tennis elbow issue?