Avoiding Trigger Foods Vs. Moderation

Options
lamlamsmakeover
lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
Is it better to avoid trigger foods or just try to consume them in moderation. I realize it depends on the person, but I am really struggling with this issue. I successfully avoided my trigger foods for a couple months but have gone pretty off track lately. Would it be better just to try hard to cultivate self-control around certain foods so I can enjoy them in moderation?

Replies

• sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    well I think that you can consume trigger foods once it doesn't make you binge, so It dépends how many times you binge.
    you can also allow you one trigger per day, you buy just one and try to enjoy it.
  • maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What I think is that it works differently for each person. Maybe you can try both for a certain period to know what works for you.
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I indulged in a much healthier alternative to a trigger food yesterday...that helped me a ton. I don't feel like I binged, but if it was my trigger food - I would have kept going. That is where I am at right now. When I decide to have trigger foods, I have been having them with others around because I won't binge in front of them. It is a tricky line for me to walk so I know I just have to be super careful. And I agree with maicap - I think it is different for each person.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I started off avoiding them altogether. Now I buy them in single serving portions (because I'm not confident that I can control myself ). that works much better for me, because I don't miss them, and I don't think about them all day long.
    but as you said, what works for one may not work for someone else.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me, avoiding them is best. No matter how much I say to myself that I'm only going to have one bowl of ice cream, piece of cake, cookie, bowl of chips, even handful of nuts, I know how easily I can spiral out of control.

So, I assess how I'm feeling in the moment. I've been through this cycle enough times that I can recognize the beginning, so then I simply say no. But there are also other times when I can eat in moderation, and each time that happens is a small victory.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I started off avoiding them altogether. Now I buy them in single serving portions (because I'm not confident that I can control myself ). that works much better for me, because I don't miss them, and I don't think about them all day long.

That's what I have been doing recently. Hope it works.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am at the moment trying to deliberately eat whatever i want, especially the things I crave, in small portions. My hope is to get away from the good food-bad food/ trigger-food-allowed food distinction by doing so....we will see how that works...
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For me, avoiding them is best. No matter how much I say to myself that I'm only going to have one bowl of ice cream, piece of cake, cookie, bowl of chips, even handful of nuts, I know how easily I can spiral out of control.

So, I assess how I'm feeling in the moment. I've been through this cycle enough times that I can recognize the beginning, so then I simply say no. But there are also other times when I can eat in moderation, and each time that happens is a small victory.

Right now, this is me also. I have to say no from the outset or else there is no stopping until I'm overstuffed or everything's eaten.

This is a good idea for me later!
  • teets19771
    teets19771 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    I am at the moment trying to deliberately eat whatever i want, especially the things I crave, in small portions. My hope is to get away from the good food-bad food/ trigger-food-allowed food distinction by doing so....we will see how that works...

How has this been working for you?
  • teets19771
    teets19771 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I like this also