Hunger. The struggle is real.

Options
CJ0821
CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
Alright, so I need some help in the area of hunger. I know I am supposed to add more fat to my meals, but can some of you shed some light on how exactly you get more fat into your meals? I do not want to be hungry between meals... and I am.. thank you :smiley:

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's easier for us to give advice if your diary is open and/or you give us info on what you typically eat.

Generically:

Cook with oils.
    Add butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc to everything.
    Eat all vegetables/fruit with a fat -- carrots/apple and peanut butter, salad with oil based dressing and cheese and avocado, berries and heavy cream, etc
    Eat fatty cuts of meat -- chicken thighs over breast, skin on over skinless, ribeye over sirloin, etc
    Eat the naturally fatty foods first, then eat the lower fat stuff (ie - eat your ribeye before you eat the salad)
    If you're just starting, don't limit your intake. Eat until you're full. Yes, it might mean overeating for the first few weeks, but your body will start being able to more accurately tell you when you're hungry/full, and you'll very likely start self-regulating, then you can tweak from there.

Some examples (this give the base protein+fat setups, add whatever veggies you want):

Bacon cheeseburger, wrapped in lettuce, topped with mayo.
    Taco salad topped with sour cream, guacamole, and cheese and made with 75/25 or 80/20 ground beef not drained.
    Eggs cooked in butter, topped with cheese, ham/sausage/bacon, or cooked in butter with a side of bacon. The whole eggs, none of this egg white stuff.
    Smoothie with coconut or almond milk and cream as the liquid base, include full fat yogurt, natural peanut butter, and/or avocado to increase fat/protein content.
    Steak topped with butter or egg yolk.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use butter, cheese, oils and high fat meats. I'm not exactly the picture of health but this seems to work in decreasing my hunger. I no longer eat chicken breast (though I'm considering it tonight) only legs and thighs with skin. I no longer buy low fat ground beef. For awhile I was really buying the low end stuff, high fat. But I started to worry about the quality of the meat itself. Avocado might help depending on what you eat.

Are you hungry or are you hungry for specific things?
  • CJ0821
    edited July 2015
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Are you hungry or are you hungry for specific things?

I am just getting hunger pains in between meals..

And I updated my diary to be viewed by anyone..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CJ0821

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You seem to be low on fat. Avocado and/or bacon I say. Eggs can be a good meal or snack.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Do you drink tea or coffee. Do you know about bulletproof recipe? 1st cup in the morning usually keeps me full till 11-12
    I eat 1/2 to 1 avocado a day, nuts and any full fat stuff that I can find around the house. Creamed spinach, cream cheese, mushrooms in butter, coconut oil, fatty meats, olive oil, etc
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Add butter - to everything. I put it on meats and veggies. I also cook in coconut oil (I have gotten away from Olive oil except as a salad dressing).
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado everyday. and a serving of almonds!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink BPC in the am, and add fat to all my meals, butter, cheese,and mayo seem to help.
  • CJ0821
    Options
    These are all great ideas!! Thank y'all so much! I have heard about bulletproof coffee, just haven't tried it. I usually put heavy whipping cream in my coffee in the mornings. I LOVE avocados, I will get some at the store tomorrow. I will definitely up the fat content on everything and see how it works for me tomorrow!
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, but how does all this cream, butter, oil etc not blow one's calorie budget?
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, but how does all this cream, butter, oil etc not blow one's calorie budget?

I don't worry about it because as you increase fat, your hunger decreases and you eat less.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My way of dealing with it is to not eat till lunchtime. Then I can have two fatty, very satisfying meals and maybe a bite or two of my treat, very dark chocolate. I had to ease into this over a couple of months though.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ditto with the avocado and extra virgin olive oil on salads, butter on veg etc. Bulletproof coffee too.
  • WhatLouAte
    Options
    Also homemade mayo is good!
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    It's easier for us to give advice if your diary is open and/or you give us info on what you typically eat.

If you're just starting, don't limit your intake. Eat until you're full. Yes, it might mean overeating for the first few weeks, but your body will start being able to more accurately tell you when you're hungry/full, and you'll very likely start self-regulating, then you can tweak from there.

Totally true. I'm only three weeks into Keto, and was just recently going through this myself - I was feeling hungry trying to follow the "rules" and staying within my prescribed calorie range. Within a week and a half my body naturally started to feel full and a small breakfast (coffee, one egg and slice of bacon) started to hold me over well into the afternoon. I am beginning to believe what I keep hearing "trust the process". Oh, and I'm also 10 lbs down in three weeks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If you're staying within your macro gram targets, it's not possible to go over calories, because the macro targets are based on calories. If MFP says you can eat 80g fat and 75g protein and 25g carbs, then if you eat that amount, you will be at your calorie target.

Fat and protein are very satiating. You're actually very likely to find that eating that amount will feel like a ton of food, but not actually be that much in calories.
  • CJ0821
    Options
    I am beginning to believe what I keep hearing "trust the process". Oh, and I'm also 10 lbs down in three weeks.

Congrats on the loss! I did really well for about 3 months, lost 15lbs then went on vacation in February and have been back and forth trying to stay on track since. It's difficult, and of course I gained about 7 lbs back.

This morning I scrambled my eggs in butter and woah... Yum. I will have to get the bulletproof coffee recipe and try it out!

I have to get the calorie counting out of my kind for the first week or two and just trust the process as you all say.
  • madpiratebippy
    madpiratebippy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to start my day, whatever the meal, with a teaspoon to tablespoon of high quality coconut oil. It really does seem to help keep satiety high through the day. I work next to a bakery case and I know if I'm hungry, it's carb time, so I work REALLY hard at never letting myself get hungry.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

What's Bullet Proof coffee?

• WhatLouAte
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

What's Bullet Proof coffee?

It's coffee blended with coconut or MCT oil and butter or ghee.