Victoza

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I'm wondering if anyone's tried Victoza and if so what are your feelings on it.

Replies

• Lizzym911
    Options
    So no ones tried it ?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for awhile. It's a little rough on my stomach, but my endo says tough it out. I'm on the highest dose.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    I've been on it for awhile. It's a little rough on my stomach, but my endo says tough it out. I'm on the highest dose.

Has it helped with weight loss at all? That's the main reason the dr wants me on it. I'm a little nervous about the side effects but I'm hoping not to be on it to long.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    Victoza slows your digestion so it's uncomfortable to eat a lot of food. Helps your pancreas to make more insulin.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is a site called bloodsugar101.com and it has a lot of information about these drugs.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    There is a site called bloodsugar101.com and it has a lot of information about these drugs.

Thank you.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    I forgot to mention it keeps the liver from dumping a lot of glucose. There are some interesting videos on YouTube.
  • drofjustice
    drofjustice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on Victoza off and on for a few years. Most recently I've been taking it since February. It does help with weight loss. I've lost 55#. It slows stomach emptying, makes your brain tell you you're full (something I hadn't felt at mealtime since childhood) and decreases glucagon secretion in the pancreas. I find it extremely effective at managing after-meal glucose levels in particular.
    The downside is nausea and vomiting. It his what made me stop it every time. However, this time I started taking it at the lowest dose and injected it at BEDTIME. Bingo! I waited a month to increase the dose, until I didn't notice any side effects, then increased very, very slowly. There are 10 clicks between each marked dose and you can stop at any click. I did 1.2 plus 5 clicks for months and finally went to the full 1.8 at 6 months in.
    When I started the Victoza this year I was on 30 units of basal insulin. Now I'm off insulin (huge weight loss has its advantages). My a1c went from 8.4 in Jan to 5.1 in May. That's mostly due to the weight loss --- and strict carb management (less than 100g per day). I am now running 4 miles several times per week and loving it.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not a Victoza user, but I use the same drug by a different drug maker - Bydureon and started out on another - Byetta. I am type 2 diabetic and was obese. Used Byetta (twice a day shot) for 7 months but switched to Bydureon because the side effects were getting to me. Bydureon is a once weekly shot - slow release of the medication. It has definitely suppressed my appetite. I lost 95 lbs in 18 months. The big thing is to realize that the drug is just an "aid" and you are going to have to do the work. It's all about good choices. At the beginning I totally gave up all of my trigger foods and almost all processed carbs. I was very strict with myself and made sure I ate a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats, with lots of fruits, veggies, and water. I imagine Victoza will work for you, but you will have to make good food choices.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago, it made me sick to my stomach, so I stopped.