a1c not dropping

1234usmc
1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
I got my latest blood work back today and my a1c went from 6.6 up to 6.7. I have lost 30lbs since I was diagnosed in Oct and exercie 4-5 days a week. I dont get it. A friend on here told me I really need to track and get ah old of my carb intake. I guess that is true. I have cut way back but obviously not enough. My Dr. says I am stable and not on meds so keep doing what I'm doing and try to get it down a little more. A little more hell,I want it under 5.6.

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    It sounds like we are on a similar journey. I was diagnosed in September. I found a lot of good info at this site:
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

So far I'm down about 70 pounds no diabetes meds so far. My goal is an a1c of 4.9 w/o meds and my planned method is strict carb control. I don't try to push my views on anyone but if you wish I can send you a PM with the addresses of a couple support groups in which I participate.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @1234usmc; Keith has hit the nail spot on. I agree wholeheartedly with his comment.
  • 1234usmc
    Keith- sent PM
    Guess I need to look for a low carb group on here too
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    1234usmc wrote: »
    Keith- sent PM
    Guess I need to look for a low carb group on here too

Yes, there is one!
  • 1234usmc
    I found a group and had to apply. Waiting to here. Back to my original post though, I can't figure out how I have lost so much weight, exercise quite a bit and my a1c went up .1 I thought for sure it would drop. How does that happen?
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Do you test blood glucose? Weight loss can be done in various ways. Your a1c results reflect your blood glucose levels over time which is important to T2s.
  • CanadianDaddyphant
    CanadianDaddyphant Posts: 8 Member
    I found a group and had to apply. Waiting to here.

Low-Carber Daily? I joined the same group a little while ago - was worth it. I didn't have to wait too long, keep checking your group page because you don't get a notification. Some really good recipes, if a little heavy on the meat.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I can't figure out how I have lost so much weight, exercise quite a bit and my a1c went up .1 I thought for sure it would drop. How does that happen?
    It's great that you have lost weight, keep up the good work. Weight loss is only one part of the equation. Diet is the most significant factor with controlling blood glucose level. Learn to control your carbs and you will lower your A1C. As Keith mentioned, a meter can help keep you on track.

Are you logging your food so you can accurately track your carb intake?
  • 1234usmc
    I haven't checked my blood or logged my food. I'll try to Crack down on the carbs and see if that helps. Need a good low carb sweet
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    I like sugar free pudding, and the fiber one 90 calorie chocolate bars.

Most anything very sweet that doesn't have significant carbs is going to have artificial sweeteners in them. Those are getting a really bad wrap in the media lately. But for us diabetics, they aren't nearly as bad for us as sugar!

Also interesting fact, for most diabetics feeding your sweet tooth makes you hungrier. When blood sugar changes rapidly (either up or down) it triggers a hunger response. It makes sense on the down side, because it indicates you've used a lot of energy quickly and your body wants to refuel. But from a survival stand point no-one really knows why a spike also triggers hunger/sweet craving. And since, as diabetics, our bodies are not so good at moving sugar out of the blood and into production we are even more prone to such spikes. It's called 'relentless hunger', and is likely part of why 80% of us are overweight when we get diagnosed.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    My latest low-carb treat is chia seed pudding. I use liquid sucralose as a sweetener. I've used both unsweetened cocoa & also pumpkin pie type spices as flavorings. Easy and delicious. I sometimes eat this for breakfast to break the monotony of eating eggs almost every day.

http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/chia-seed-pudding-recipes/
  • DrawnToScale
    I agree with Keith - track your carbs, and measure your glucose!
  • DrawnToScale
    edited July 2015
    -
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    I have been T2 diabetic for about 15 years and was overweight/obese for 30 years. I take meds, and have done a number of meds over the years. In the last 3 years I have come back to a normal weight (24.6 BMI) and have cut back on the meds. What I have found by watching my meter (yes I do still test) is that my numbers are lower when I don't eat processed carbs (cereals, chips, crackers, cookies) and limit my other starches. My a1c has never been lower than 5.9 but I'm still trying.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Hi all,

I am Type 2 and trying to get back on track. I am taking Metformin 2x per day AM and PM and beginning Low Carb. Fir the past two days my FBS has been very high (300) and then drifts down to mid 200's by afternoon. I am testing a lot--probably too much. I wonder of low carb is helping or not. Trying to avoid insulin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    I found a group and had to apply. Waiting to here.

Are you able to view now? The apply thing sucks, there were some low carb/main forum issues that caused some problems that caused that to be necessary for a little while.

Anyway, I had a 7.5 A1C when I was first diagnosed diabetic. The last time I had it checked was over a year ago, it was 4.3, thanks entirely to strictly cutting my carb intake. At the time I hadn't even started exercising yet. As long as I'm eating the same way my doctor isn't even concerned about checking it.

I definitely second/third/whatever the recommendations to monitor your blood sugar yourself. You'll learn a ton about how your body reacts to different types of foods.
  • radiii
    pennell12 wrote: »
    I am Type 2 and trying to get back on track. I am taking Metformin 2x per day AM and PM and beginning Low Carb. Fir the past two days my FBS has been very high (300) and then drifts down to mid 200's by afternoon. I am testing a lot--probably too much. I wonder of low carb is helping or not. Trying to avoid insulin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are many diabetics, or people diagnosed pre-diabetic who had that be their wake up call to take action, over in the low carber daily forum that was mentioned here. It has helped many of us. See my above post about going from a 7.5 A1C to 4.3. That group is very supportive and informative.

Since this is two posts in a row I want to make sure to state that I don't want to push a specific way of eating on anyone as the "right" or only way. Many diabetics find other ways to control things, but many do find keto or some other less restrictive form of carb control to be the best and easiest way to manage their diabetes, so if you are finding yourself struggling why not check it out :)
  • pennell12
    edited July 2015
    Thanks. I think I need to start adding in more exercise. May I ask Radill, how many carbs do you consume per day?
  • radiii
    edited July 2015
    pennell12 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think I need to start adding in more exercise. May I ask Radill, how many carbs do you consume per day?

20g or less for me, very frequently less. I'm eating a ketogenic diet. There are many other low carbers who eat more than that and find great blood sugar control. For me, I find that it doesn't take many carbs at all to drive me into crazy sugar cravings and I am happiest when I am extremely restrictive with my carbs. Many people join the low carb daily group and begin by limiting their daily carbs to 100g and see how that feels, see how their weight goes, see how their cravings are, see how their blood sugar adjusts, and experiment from there.
  • pennell12
    Wow! That's really low!