Sugar Free Gum Chewing?

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
To chew or not to chew? That is the question.

This is a follow-up to a post about artificial sweeteners and the effects on the body. Although, my breath could use a stick occasionally, I tend to think in the long run it doesn't help me with the hunger issue. I drink a tea or find some other oral substitute, <i.e., brush my teeth> until a meal. Does it work for you?

Here are links to two sides of the coin. If you do chew, which one do you like?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/diet-myth-or-truth-chewing-gum-for-weight-loss

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-foods-that-make-you-hungrier.html

my5oteqvx07t.jpg

Replies

• Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 3 years ago as it was making me hungrier; since then no AS what so ever.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Could never stand the aftertaste, so I've never been a fan of any AS. I'm happy with the little bit of Real Sugar(TM) I get from berries and chocolate.

If you need to chew on something, chew on ice cubes. Negative calories! :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I would chew it if I could but it hurts my jaw, I really wish I could, kinda makes me sad. I haven't noticed any problems with AS or small amounts of real sugar. I know others are more sensitive to those things though.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hurts to chew for very long, so I use chewable mints instead. AS doesn't bother me.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have switched to a gum called Spry (my favorite being cinnamon but the others are good too) that was sweetened with xylitol at Whole Foods for when I really crave some gum to chew on. No after taste but the flavor lasts a shorter period than most regular gums you'd find in your local corner store. I haven't noticed an increase in hunger due to it and it helped me kick a nasty cigarette habit. Just my 2 cents.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I keep a pack of trident in my backpack for those days when I have serious coffee breathe and only a short time to correct it. But no, usually I don't chew gum at all, never really did.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Although artificial sweeteners in food(s) seem to kick start major cravings for me, I haven't noticed the same issue with the odd stick of gum. I usually go through a pack roughly every two weeks.... gum is a great way to eliminate random snacking while doing major food prep, it battles the odd cigarette craving while driving (3.5 years quit now and that is the only time I occasionally struggle), and after lunch breath issues at work lol.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't usually chew gum, when I buy it it's from the health store with Xylitol not the other stuff from the stores
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Could never stand the aftertaste, so I've never been a fan of any AS. I'm happy with the little bit of Real Sugar(TM) I get from berries and chocolate.

If you need to chew on something, chew on ice cubes. Negative calories! :)

Be careful with that! My mom went through an ice chewing phase and fractured all of her teeth...now they just fall out a piece at a time.

Also, wanting to chew ice can be a sign of anemia.

But it is fun to do :)

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I chew a piece or two of SF gum most days. Not a big prob. for me. Doesn't kick up cravings or anything.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I chew Trident nearly every day. I haven't noticed any stalls or BG spikes in relation. Trident does not make me hungry, but Extra and other brands do. I mean a ravenous hunger that I cannot seem to sate! Plus, for me, fasting works better when I have my gum to chew.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I enjoy chewing gum, and really don't want to give it up! it helps with stressed jaw clenching, so I have a few/day. I avoid AS in foods but haven't found a good replacement for gum. I think it's time :/
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use the tiny low carb Altoids. I'm sure if enough are consumed there are many carbs. But since Altoids are so powerful, not many are needed.
  • slimzandra
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I'm almost weaned off the cigs during this. Congrats to that folks that won! It is harder than I thought to stop. I'm a pack a week currently, it's become a night time ritual at this point. A way to de-stress from the day without digging in to a bottle of wine. That used to account for a lot of my calories and yeah me, that habit has stopped. Looking for alternatives to satisfy that urge and the jaw clenching, teeth grinding. I do an evening walk, but there's still an oral component I can't shake. Thanks for the suggestions about ice cubes, trident and altoids, spry and Xylitol.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I was chain-chewing sugarfree gum for a while when I went keto, 1-2 packs a day, in an attempt to quell my appetite; little did I know it was actually making me hungrier and causing sweet cravings.

I also believe chewing so much sf gum was partly responsible for my weight loss stall. When I ditched the gum, along with liquid sucralose in my hot drinks, the scale started to move downwards again. It could be a coincidence, but I don't think so. I believe AS affects my body like sugar, to a degree and appears to have been impacting my weight loss and health goal negatively. Now I'm starting to view it a bit like poison as I've read that sucralose, for example, is carcinogenic, and they really don't know much about its long term effects. I don't want to drip feed that into my body every day anymore.

I thought I'd miss gum but I really don't anymore. I don't miss sweetener in my hot beverages anymore either. They were both tough to kick at 1st but it's tangible how much better I feel without them. I think the less chemicals and weird lab-produced ingredients we put in our bodies the better.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    YUP -- I think the less chemicals and weird lab-produced ingredients we put in our bodies the better. I'm turning over a new leaf. Weaning the bad, bringing in the good. I'm working on cleaning out and getting healthier.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I finally got to the point of realizing that in order for gum not to be a habit/feeding that sugar fix issue, I had to find one I could barely tolerate, or I wanted to binge full packs - or multiple packs. For me, that was regular trident. I don't have it as much anymore, but I do once in a while. I've never done the xylitol gums, but things like stride, extra, ice breakers, etc., all made me want to binge...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use Spry gum when I do buy any, but I never really liked chewing gum anyway. It would be more just a breath freshener for after lunch if I had something strong flavored that I needed to clear away.