Keto quick breakfast ideas?

Options
UMDavies
UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
I've been working my way down to lower carbs over the last couple of weeks and have got down to ~50g net per day :) I'm feeling good (so far) but would like to get to the 20g mark next week to try and go fully keto. My main problem is breakfast - I don't have time to cook eggs and bacon or whatever in the mornings before I go to work. At the moment I'm having full-fat greek yoghurt with flaked almonds and some fruit compote (made with frozen berries bubbled down, no added sugar) and this is perfect for me. I'm also quite keen to keep the yoghurt in to get the probiotic cultures, if at all possible.

So what does everyone else have for breakfast? Is there something I can make the night before/at the weekend and then just grab out of the fridge/heat up in the microwave in the morning? All ideas welcome! :)

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs or egg-muffins are good options if you want something you can make ahead of time. You could also have some cold meats or leftovers.... no need to pigeon hole your breakfast!

If you still want to have yogurt, why not keep eating it but maybe just have a little less or leave out the fruit compote? I love plain, full-fat, greek yogurt sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon.
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make bacon and eggs the night before (sometimes I make some for a few days at a time), put them in tupperware containers for each day, and then stick them in the fridge and grab one on my way out in the morning. They taste just as good warmed up in the microwave.
  • Running_down_a_dream
    Running_down_a_dream Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tend to have Coffee with 2 Tbs of heavy whipping cream and 1/2 to a whole Avocado. On the weekends ( when the wife cooks) Eggs bacon sausage.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I typically have 2% Greek yogurt (impossible to find full fat in my city, it seems) with some cream and keto granola.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    LOADED TEA during the week and bacon and eggs or whatever on the weekends.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My breakfast has morphed into Bullet Proof Coffee with a splash of HWC over the paat few weeks. I'm not hungry for my "traditional" bacon and eggs anymore.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I had a slight mishap with BPC last weekend so am taking it slowly for now - don't think my toilet can face a repeat of last time if you get my drift! :lol:@Raynne413 what's your keto granola? Is it a recipe or do you buy it?

My current plan, for next week at least, is a kind of plum clafoutis thing - like this but plums instead of cherries as I had a big bag of them in the freezer that need using up :)http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/06/cherry-clafoutis-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    With the BPC, you have to build up slowly with the Coconut oil/mct oil... I had to go back to 1 tsp then build up every 2-3 days. I can easily put in 4 TBSP on a fasting day now...
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Rocket Fuel Latte.
    Also might try making cream cheese pancakes the night before.
    I used to do a half serving of full fat greek yogurt + 2 tablespoons of heavy cream + vanilla + stevia and blend that all up. That's easy enough to throw together in the morning or do the night before and stick in the fridge.

For an added probiotic snack, try getting your hands on Kevita Mojita Lime drink and making jello out of it with unsweetened gelatin, a couple tablespoons of plain lemon juice, and liquid stevia. Not much in the calorie or fat department, but BOY it puts a smile on my face.

-T.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have to eat breakfast? I hardly ever eat it, I don't have time. The more you fast, the more you burn...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary

• fattybattyy
    fattybattyy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Level makes these really good low-carb protein shakes. But for meal-type foods, I agree with making it the night before.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sweet peppers stuffed with cream cheese, ham, olives and sliced avocado.
  • chloexoxmae
    chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has tons of ideas, deff worth checking out.
    I usually just have bulletproof coffee for breakfast.
    But I saw an idea where you make egg mcmuffins ahead of time and store them in the fridge till you eat them. You could make these with bacon, ham or sausage and egg. Don't forget the cheese :) Hop online and search keto bread to make these with. I found a recipe for something called 'cloud bread' that looks like it could be good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Pintrest has tons of ideas, deff worth checking out.
    I usually just have bulletproof coffee for breakfast.
    But I saw an idea where you make egg mcmuffins ahead of time and store them in the fridge till you eat them. You could make these with bacon, ham or sausage and egg. Don't forget the cheese :) Hop online and search keto bread to make these with. I found a recipe for something called 'cloud bread' that looks like it could be good.

Cloud bread is a variation on Oopsie bread and requires a special palette to appreciate. I couldn't stand them. I know it isn't "convenient" per se, but I enjoy my meals far more these days on a plate with a fork and knife rather than rushing about and eating something "on the go." This WOL is reminding me that not everything is about rushing from point to point... I'd make the stuff in advance then heat it up and eat on a plate...no fake bread required.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    look up crustless quiche

https://michellesmithrdsecrets.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/crustless-mini-quiches/

i make them all sorts of ways- with bacon, sausage cheese- what ever- make them in a muffin tin and they warm up nicely all week if they last that long
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg salad (mayo, pickle, n eggs) you can make it in a batch.

Don't limit yourself to "breakfast" for breakfast.. You can have anything you want!!
  • Redztime2shine
    Redztime2shine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had cooked cocktail shrimp with guacamole and today I had Hormel Natural Uncured Pepperoni slices dipped in Kerry Gold's garlic & herb butter (about 2 T).

Red
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make a frittata and just eat it all week for breakfast. You can put anything you want in it (I love bacon and cabbage).
  • Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have an egg cream for breakfast every morning. There are lots of recipes out there and you can do many variations but ours is just eggs (yes, raw eggs) heavy whipping cream and cinnamon and turmeric in the blender. I use 3 eggs, 3T heavy whipping cream and 2 sprinkles of cinnamon per person. The turmeric is just something we add because it's good for you but most people might want to leave that out. I don't sweeten it but you could probably use stevia drops to sweeten it. We like these because they are quick and easy for breakfast and we like to just have breakfast and be done.

You could also just eat leftover portions of your lunch or dinner.

One thing that I've been making lately are some flax muffins that I found on Healthful Pursuit. They are easy to make and keep in the fridge and to have as a quick meal or snack with some butter.