Bruising weeks after surgery

Options
jillcwatson1
jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
I don't know if my bruising issue has ANYTHING to do with the surgery or if my weight loss since then along with my blood thinner is creating the problem. Did any of you find that you bruised easily following surgery and if so, is this time limited or do I need to ask one of my doctors about it. Most of the bruising is on my legs and I don't have any injuries that coincide with them. They are small, but scattered all over.

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh Jill I am so glad you asked this, I am anxious to hear this too - I get bruises all the time on my legs and my tummy too and I never remember injuring myself...can't wait to hear what everyone says :)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes the one giant bruise on my right arm where they kept drawing blood is still not gone and it's been 7 weeks since surgery. I always bruise though.
  • jillcwatson1
    Options
    I am on blood thinners and would expect this a bit if I had done this before surgery. Now of course I am wondering if this indicates low iron or some other vitamin that I am not getting. It has been about 10 weeks since my VSG and although some of my bruising has cleared up, I look speckled on my upper thighs. I can't imagine what is causing this. PLEASE respond to this posting if you experienced the same thing and especially if you know what to do about it. I see my surgeon in 10 days, so that may be when I can find out anything. My surgery bruising has healed up and I have darker skin near the incision sites, but not what I would call bruising.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I had blood thinners as part of the surgery and had to do a month of twice-daily injections with them as well. I had some random bruising but nothing serious. If you don't know what's causing it, I'd see your doctor (or at least give them a call!)
  • jillcwatson1
    Options
    Well I am on the blood thinner as part of my cardiology medication routine...outside of the surgery. That is why I asked here, since I did not know WHICH doctor to call about this. I will be seeing my surgeon next week but not see my cardiologist until my next checkup in January. I may give the WLS case manager a call early this week to see if she can advise me.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I was full of bruises for a few weeks after surgery due to the blood thinners but now that it's been 3 weeks since I stopped them I am bruise free. I hope your case manager can shed some light here! Good luck.