Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Another thread worth having--recipes!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have several I've added to my blog, but they are mostly low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Dunno if anyone wants any of that here.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this, Nancy! I'll try to actually post a recipe today.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
    As currently prepared: (Notes for improving the recipe at the bottom!)

1 pound bulk spicy and hot sausage (recipe called for spicy Italian, but this was way cheaper, so I just added Italian seasoning to the broth)

1 bunch kale, chopped - about 3 cups (roughly - adjust to taste)

1 stick butter (1/4 cup or 8 TBSP, depending on location)

1 TBSP olive oil

4 cups broth (stock, broth, or water with buillion)

2-6 cloves garlic smashed/chopped/pureed, to taste

1/2 onion chopped or pureed, color to taste

Salt and Pepper to Taste

1/4-1 tsp Italian seasoning, to taste if not using Italian Sausage

Roughly 4 oz/8 tbsp heavy whipping cream, to taste

Chop up tough kale stems. Brown sausage and kale stems together. I tried to do them in 1/2" to 1/4" pieces. Cook through. Drain excess grease. Set aside.

Chop/puree garlic and onion (I used my ultimate chopper, comes out like a rough paste. Feel free to leave as chunky as you like to taste.) Add olive oil to same pan as browned sausage in. Add onion and garlic. Cook down until translucent or most of the liquid is cooked out.

Deglaze with stock/broth. Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Simmer broth for 30 minutes.

Chop kale into very thin strips (1/8"-1/4"). May shred using processor what have you, to taste. Add butter, sausage, kale stems, and chopped kale back to pot. Simmer until kale is softened. For me, this was 20+ minutes until it was as soft as I prefer.

*** NOTE: At this point STOP if you plan to refrigerate it. Reheat the broth at this point. Only add the heavy cream when ready to eat. ***

Portion out into serving bowls. Makes roughly 6 or 8 1-cup servings, I think. Add 2-6 TBSP of heavy cream to each bowl, amount to taste. Stir and serve. (Again, note, add cream only as serving - this makes it much easier to reheat!)

Modifications - this was so much kale! I might have underestimated slighlty. So I'm purchase and browning 1-2 additional pounds of sausage to add to this tonight. I will be adding at least 2 more cups of stock/broth. I will season to taste. But I'm thinking the ratio of sausage to kale will be better to me! :)

Sausage - feel free to get any kind of sausage, any kind of ground/minced meat - just make sure to seasoon while cook if unseasoned product with at least salt and pepper. If you get ITALIAN sausage, be sure to leave out the Italian seasoning, unless it needs more punch. Also, if you do not buy a spicy sausage but want it spicy, add crushed red pepper flakes to taste.

Kale - you can use any green that wilts. Spinach or other greens can easily be used. If the stems are tough, be sure to "fry" them along side the sausage. I imagine even cabbage could be interesting here.

Garlic - original recipe called for 2 cloves. Use to taste.

Onion - original recipe called for one onion, but my was slightly larger, so I only used half.

Italian Seasoning - add to taste if purchasing sausage that isn't Italian. Mine was $2 instead of $4 just purchasing regular Spicy sausage.

Heavy cream is to taste. I would add at least on TBSP per bowl. Can supplement with other type of cream or additional butter.

Also this original recipe called for potatoes, just like the soup at the restaurant, but sincerely, this was so great a soup that I just didn't even notice they were missing. Feel free to add potatoes or riced cauliflower or any other veggie you prefer, if you've got the room for it.

SURPRISE SURPRISE - once again the recipe add link is not giving me nutritional data. I will post that later.

UPDATE: Nutritional Data (may change, have to confirm sausage info)

8 servings
    Calories: 442
    Fat 41 grams (Saturated 20 g; Monounsaturated 6 g)
    Cholesterol: 112 mg
    Sodium: 1142 mg
    Potassium: 282 mg
    Carbs: 6 grams, Fiber: 1 gram, Sugar: 1 gram
    Protein: 10 grams
    Vitamin A: 25%
    Vitamin C: 5%
    Calcium: 8%
    Iron: 4%
  • catladyksa
    Options
    My colleague made these yesterday and really bragged about them!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-p1VQnKEgc

It is from youtube, and called Gordon Ramsey's Meatballs in coconut broth. Looks really easy too, just had to get some of the ingredients. I like the way he makes the meatballs!!
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Holy Moly....I did not know it would show up here on the thread!! LOL
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the copy cat recipe Carly. Thanks for sharing.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I stumbled onto this heart-healthy recipe collection from the national institutes of health today. They all look pretty easy, plus all the nutrition info is included. I'm bored with all my current recipes and need to try some new things. Maybe this will inspire!

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/Dinners_Cookbook_508-compliant.pdf

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Just so you know, saturated fats, when used a in a low carb diet, are GOOD FOR YOUR HEART... Cholesterol is NECESSARY for fueling your BRAIN. (hugs)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Yes, Carly!
    I'm not a fan of low fat at all.
    I'm looking for recipes that contain healthy fats and carbs.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    KarenZen wrote: »
    I stumbled onto this heart-healthy recipe collection from the national institutes of health today. They all look pretty easy, plus all the nutrition info is included. I'm bored with all my current recipes and need to try some new things. Maybe this will inspire!

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/Dinners_Cookbook_508-compliant.pdf

Karen theses recipes are fantastic! I scrolled thru them last night....really look great !! Thanks for the link!
  • KarenZen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nancy, I challenge you to make ONE recipe before the end of July, and I'll make one recipe as well!

nom nom nom