Motivation, support and accountability thread, July 20 - 26

Options
jltheis7
jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
Hello Group!
This is an important week for me so I thought I would start this week's thread. This week, I will be celebrating my 48th birthday. I love my birthday. I want to be around for a lot longer and have many, many more of them!

My gift to myself this week is to explore my food/nonfood triggers and change just one thing about them. Food cues are all those signals and thoughts that say "Eat something" when I'm not hungry or it wasn't what I had planned on eating. From the sight or smell of a particular food to the social aspect of eating, I know I have a lot of triggers but I haven't really just sat and thought about them.

Join me in this mini-goal by doing some or all of the following from 100 Days of Weightloss:
    [
  1. /list]watch for any food cues that show up during your day. Notice the triggers from billboards, break rooms, people's desks, magazine covers, food discussions, and even your own thoughts, such as what to fix for dinner.
  2. For today, focus specifically on triggers that relate to food, such as sights and smells or other things that remind you of food.
  3. Notice all of the non-food triggers that tempt you to eat. In particular, watch for how you respond to stress, anger, and other intense emotions.
  4. Write down a list of any food thoughts that were prompted by emotions or other non-food triggers.
  5. Notice whether you typically give in to emotional triggers or whether you're able to ignore them.
  6. In your journal, (or on here) make note of any specific food triggers or situations that tempted you today.
  7. Eliminate one trigger from your life. choose one food or category of food and make the decision to protect yourself from it. This doesn't mean you never eat it, but that you avoid having it around most of the time.
  8. Clear that item from all of your regular storage places, including your home, car, office, and even your shopping list.

P.S. I bought myself a new pedometer yesterday and today I am getting new walking shoes. 10,000 steps here I come!

Replies

• Turtlegal83
    Turtlegal83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My goal this week is to not eat after 10 p.m. I am a total night owl and have insomnia so I am normally up until 4 a.m. or later and my nights are when I tend to snack to most.
  • michellewalker8866
    michellewalker8866 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well my goal this week is to get my water intake in. Start doing cardio everyday. So that I can get 10000 steps in everyday.
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My goal this week is to wake up earlier so that I can keep up with my fasted morning routine. Which means going to bed earlier and getting a good nights rest.
  • lillie917
    lillie917 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My goals for this week:
    - drink water daily x2
    - eat at least 1 fruit and 1 veggie daily
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Late to the party as usual this week!

My goals for the week are to drink my water and play with my new pedometer app! I want to get more active,.i know it will benefit me!

I see my doctor in 2-3 weeks, i have had some success with my sugars but nothing else :( being a grown up is no fun!!!

• violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My goals this week
    1. Log Everything
    2. Walk on my lunches (Monday reprieve)
    3. Don't snap. Last night, I was the brunt of two snappy comments from my family, then I had to call our internet provider because our internet wasn't working. Stress levels went through the roof for not all needed reasons. I refused to eat any treats while in that state of mind, which led to compulsive cleaning. A few hours later I was calmer, had a brief conversation with my wife and then had some Ice cream, mostly because we had a very healthy dinner of Greek Salad (My wife is trying to support my meals, yay) and a bun, so was under my calories. However, I need to resist the ice cream for the rest of the work week.
  • Summershowalter
    Summershowalter Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone....my goals for this week are to eat within my calories and not go over. Also get enough water so I don't reiain water.

• imagagirl71
    imagagirl71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my weight loss journey so my goals are simple.... Log all my food and eat as clean/whole as possible.
  • AmandaMcEvoy1
    AmandaMcEvoy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My goal this week is to branch out and try Yoga classes at the rec centre.... I'm terrified but I'm gonna do it!
  • Turtlegal83
    Turtlegal83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My goal this week is to branch out and try Yoga classes at the rec centre.... I'm terrified but I'm gonna do it!

You can totally do this!!! You'll love it :)
  • violet456
    Options
    I am grazing today. Not a good habit, trying to keep it under control, but tomorrow I need to nip this in the bud and stop going to craft service.
  • HLaR79
    Options
    I start conversation and then i stop because something gets in my way!

My goal is to just be here at this point. Back to sleep for me
  • Summershowalter
    Summershowalter Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So this week isn't going too bad. I did go over my calories the other day but today (wed ) I'm finding it difficult to eat enough calories. I did find a switch flip in me today and found some motivation and did a 12 min boxing workout with he hubs. I'm gonna feel that tomorrow. I'm still exploring the food triggers thing....I think for me sodas are one but it just makes me want more soda, or if someone is drinking one and I'm not then I want a soda. I'll have to explore that one some more.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Well I don't know about all of you but summer seems to be full of distractions. I get so busy I "forget" to log in here, or I miss my gym time or .... But the intention is there so I do what I can.

I discovered an interesting trigger this week. I tend to eat unhealthy food when my kitchen is messy--dishes not done, things on the counter, etc. I have never noticed this before. So I am making an effort to make sure the kitchen is clean before bed so it is ready for the next day.

Happy Thursday everyone!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jltheis7 wrote: »

I discovered an interesting trigger this week. I tend to eat unhealthy food when my kitchen is messy--dishes not done, things on the counter, etc. I have never noticed this before. So I am making an effort to make sure the kitchen is clean before bed so it is ready for the next day.

That's a great point! It's so much harder to make a meal when you have to clean up first to do it then know you're going to have to clean up afterwards too. Great goal to clean up before you go to bed at night.. might just try that!

My goal this week is to keep on keeping on - even though I'm not seeing the losses I was the first 6 weeks, I know I need to be patient and not stress about it.
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Summershowalter, summer is so distracting, if you forget to log in you can set MFP to send reminders!
    Great job on the trigger and i agree when my kitchen is a mess i dont want to cook at all! Also i am more likely to eat junk if it is just me.

Three more days of being on call and then i can go back to my normal schedule so tired but showing up every day

• violet456
    Options
    All of my gumption and motivation that has brought me back to this place is leaving rapidly today. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    @violet...tomorrow is a new day. With the move, not mention the craft service temptation, you are bound to have a tough day once in awhile. Concentrate on what went right today and build on that.
  • keyo11
    keyo11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    7. Eliminate one trigger from your life. choose one food or category of food and make the decision to protect yourself from it. This doesn't mean you never eat it, but that you avoid having it around most of the time.

Peanut butter. It's so good, but so bad. :)