Cheeseburger Pie

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Will try.

I might add chopped pieces of bacon, to give the ground beef more flavor. LOL.

FYI, I read some place that the pre-shredded cheese in a bag, has added carbs so it doesn't stick together.
    I'm planning to use a block cheese and split the cheese amount with farmer's cheese - zero carbs.

Love the skillet in the photo!

Ebony - How was it? Any suggestions?

All cheese, even block cheese, has some carbs. I think it is like 0.36 grams of carbs per 1 oz or something. (Updated with Fat Secret Data). It doesn't list Farmer's cheese separately... Side note, what does Farmer's block cheese taste like? It kept trying to tell me cottage cheese! LOL
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Farmers cheese is very similar to cottage cheese in both taste and texture. I think it is a bit more savory yet bland. Sorry, I have some in the freezer and will have to check again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Farmer's cheese here in my store is a white cheese that looks about the same texture as cheddar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I made it for dinner (roughly) and added an onion. Sooooo good. Thank you!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The colby cheese I buy says it has less than 1g of carbs per 100g of cheese. I expect it would be much the same world wide?

This looks delicious, does anyone have nutritional information to save me having to add it as a recipe on my very slow phone to check?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I altered it a bit when I made it but it came out to a 700 calorie meal. I'm still full 3 hours later. Feel free to check my diary.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Love this recipe. It's wholesome, simple and can easily be changed or added to in so many ways. I hope to use it for my new pizza base. My DD misses pizza.

Me, I miss beans and cornbread.
  • pjdunning
    pjdunning Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I add bacon to it. It looks eggy but i didn't think it tasted eggy.

It's my husband's favorite meal.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I buy Friendship Farmer's cheese. The package says "0" carbs. I agree with you about cheeses having carbs, which is why when I saw this packing, I was skeptical, chalk it up to false advertising! I'm still going with zero, cause it makes me feel good! LOL. It's more like block cream cheese, than cottage cheese. I find it at Stop and Shop, next to the cream cheese. Anyway. I think it's less than cheddar. My next choice is a Colby that says 1g.
    x74kanrrdv72.jpg
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    Love this recipe. It's wholesome, simple and can easily be changed or added to in so many ways. I hope to use it for my new pizza base. My DD misses pizza.

Me, I miss beans and cornbread.

ditto on the cornbread.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've never been brave enough to buy it at my store, but I might try it for giggles. Mine literally looks like a white block of hard cheese. Unwrapped it could probably pass for block mozzarella or monterey jack or something. Just looks like a block of white hard cheese. Next time it's on sale, I'll buy it, snap a picture, and try it... They don't carry what you show above at my store that I've ever seen.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    @knit, we have the farmer's cheese you describe where I live. It is a nice mild tasting cheese, very similiar to mozzarella or jack I suppose. I'll have to buy some too next time I see it, if only for the nice connotation the name brings to my mind.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I checked this recipe, and it comes out to more than 1000 calories per serving. That puts it out of my range. With some tweaks, it does fit in my budget.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have had both fresh Farmer's cheese which is like ricotta and the pressed kind the picture from Stop n Shop. I did not realize it had zero carbs. A nutritionist recommended it to me as possibility along with raw sheep's cheeses even though it comes from cows when I was deemed sensitive to dairy.

I'm looking forward to trying the Cheeseburger Pie recipe too.

• luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That recipe reminds of this one that made my rotation this week. Haven't made it yet but will soon. It's taco pie.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/05/low-carb-easy-taco-pie.html#_a5y_p=1740112

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do you think the cheeseburger pie would freeze? Say in meal size portions? I am having surgery soon and looking for ideas that hubby can just reheat for me.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner. I only used about 80g of mayo, 60ml of cream and 4 eggs. Probably about 400g of cheese, and 900g of LEAN (premium) mince. I also added 6 rashers of bacon diced. I figured I could get away with the lean mince due to all of the other added fats in the recipe. I used some steak seasoning in the mince when I cooked it. The whole lot made 6 serves at about 600 cals a serve, which is alot but doable in my 1800 cal limit. My partner loved it (had it for lunch and dinner the next day) so it was definitely a hit. We had it with bbq sauce on top (sugar free for me).
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the above yet. I hope to soon. If you like cheesburger pie, you might also like the following:

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/05/low-carb-easy-taco-pie.html

• SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that cheese label at all! I remember being in Weight Watchers when certain new foods would come out and the labels looked so awesome. Like 1 point foods that were so delicious for huge serving sizes. Someone would share the food at a WW meeting and then all the local stores would sell out within a few days. Then a month or two later we all found out it was BS. I think a whole bag of Pirate's Booty popcorn was like 2 points (at first). LOL
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The Taco Pie sounds really good. I will make it but not with taco seasoning (don't trust those spice mixes). All you need is some tomato paste, garlic and cumin. It's the cumin that makes tacos taste like tacos.