Yo-Yos Are killing me!

Options
soldiergrl_101
soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
For 4 weeks I have been on my low carb lifestyle change...Since then my energy is up, I feel alot better and alot less bloated. I started working out and monitoring things much more carefully. That being said these Yo-Yo cycles are killing me, its like im down 3 up 2, down 2 up 4, down 3 up 1. My food is consistent why aren't my losses. I had my first cheat two days ago, I caved and had two cookies, it sent my stomach into a spin and i had to go home sick. Now im up 4 pounds, from 2 cookies!!! WTF! I keep trying to tell myself that its the sodium, or the water weight, or that my body isnt used to carbs anymore...But its really frustrating! Does any one else act like a yo-yo on the scale? Any advice?

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's the cookies!! ☺️

So you felt good, but you gave in, why? Change your mind about what you're putting in your mouth to begin with. Don't think about foods you can't have and concentrate and other yummy foods you can.
    Four weeks is nothing, keep in mind your goals and keep moving forward. Scale will fluctuate, your inches lost and the way you feel are much better indication.
    Hang in there and you'll do fine.
    Hugs!!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is me. I initially lost 4 lbs, then those lbs came back for two weeks, then I dropped them plus 3, now I have the three back.... It's highly annoying, I concur.

However, down almost a pants size and down a bra size for sure. I'm losing inches and I'm not weighing every day anymore. The scale lies!

It's probably the cookie causing water/glucose problems though. It'll go away if you get back to plan.
  • htecky76
    htecky76 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My only idea would be to weigh yourself less often, our bodies can see fluctuations of 5lbs everyday for NO reason. That can be very discouraging after you've worked hard and finally see the scale move down lbs. 2 days later it all comes back "over night".... but it really doesn't if you just weigh yourself once a week; same time of day, and average it out. Make sense?? Be careful about over weighing yourself, it can lead to disappointment and frustration which in turn often leads to giving up. If your eating the right calorie deficit for you, you will lose. Even with the cookie, although there are healthier treats that satisfy better. (Smile) That being said, it is my understanding that each of us has things our bodies dont handle well; an intolerance. If the cookies upset your stomach that much you might want to check the ingredients and try to avoid them, because if your are intolerant it COULD force you to gain back by making you bloat. I admit I am new to the LCHF lifestyle but I've done other diets and I can honestly say that the scale can be your worst enemy. Best of luck to you.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yep, it has been a yo-yo journey since I started. I don't always see a change on the scale, but I see changes in how my clothing fits, my skin, my energy levels, my concentration/focus...keep on keepin' on. It's worth it.

As far as the cookies, that happens to me now too. If I veer off the path, hellish GI symptoms remind me that it isn't worth it.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is me. I initially lost 4 lbs, then those lbs came back for two weeks, then I dropped them plus 3, now I have the three back.... It's highly annoying, I concur.

However, down almost a pants size and down a bra size for sure. I'm losing inches and I'm not weighing every day anymore. The scale lies!

It's probably the cookie causing water/glucose problems though. It'll go away if you get back to plan.

See if I was loosing pants sizes Id at least feel a little better but I have been tracking inches and although my pants feel a bit looser im still not a size down yet :( The cookies were to cheer me up as I was about to sit in a long *kitten* boring meeting lol...shame shame I know. I do weigh myself too much im sure, Once a day sometimes twice im just anxious to be in wonderland and it seems to be taking for ever. Every day im sure to eat at a deficit, and work out. My fitbit helps. :(
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Possibly you can manage your desire for a few more carbs some days with more intense cardio. Low intensity cardio is not gonna burn it off very effectively.

High intensity will zap the glycogen stores that go up and hold water when you cheat.

I do it. It is also a way to short term add fuel for intense exercise, but only add 1/3 of your estimated calorie burn for the exercise

And really when you think about it, two cookies will be 700 calories maybe?? That is 1/5 of a pound of fat...

So there is often much anxiety regarding gaining weight that is not actually necessary. 4 pounds would be 16,000 calories. A dozen whole bags of chips ahoy cookies in one setting.

So you have some water for now. And if you yoyo your carbs and glycogen deletion you will continue to see that water go on and go off. But if you are in a calorie deficit... Behind that water going on and off will be a gradual fat loss

Hang in there.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This is the impatience that works on our heads and eventually convinces some people that "dieting" doesn't work.
    You know you are doing the right things. You are seeing a difference and will continue to as long as you stick to it and log accurately.
    You have a certain expectation and reality isn't quite meeting it, but reality is still good. You have to consider things on the long term and not expect to see weight come off daily or even weekly.