Why can't I just say "Thank you" when someone says I'm slim

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I was at Aldi after work looking at almonds, when a woman said to me 'the problem with these is portion control'.

I agreed and said 'that's why I have to use a food scale to measure out a serving'.

Her response to me was 'that's how you stay so slim'

Immediately I felt the need to tell her that I'm not slim, I mean I am now but I wasn't before. I wanted to defend myself, I needed her to know that I worked to get here.

Why couldn't I just say 'thank you'

Is it too soon? It wasn't an insult but I felt insulted.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would have told her to eat all she wanted. The more almonds you eat, the fewer calories you consume overall.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084509

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-014-0759-z

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14574348
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Ah interesting, though she preferred her almonds in the form of trail mix.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I might have felt a little irked by someone reducing your efforts to a single, simple strategy, without knowing anything about you. Of course, she meant well.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was at Aldi after work looking at almonds, when a woman said to me 'the problem with these is portion control'.

I agreed and said 'that's why I have to use a food scale to measure out a serving'.

Her response to me was 'that's how you stay so slim'

Immediately I felt the need to tell her that I'm not slim, I mean I am now but I wasn't before. I wanted to defend myself, I needed her to know that I worked to get here.

Why couldn't I just say 'thank you'

Is it too soon? It wasn't an insult but I felt insulted.

We had a week long exercise on how ppl accept compliments in college. It's very common for ppl to be flustered, embarrassed or not know what to do. It was interesting (compliment ten ppl a day and see how they react). I find the best way to react, and the way I've taught my kids, is to thank them, and then return the compliment (even if it's just "that is so kind of you to say!")
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I would say, "Yes I am with all of my hard work to stay there" and leave it at that. Great feeling though!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @mlinton_mesapark I think that's what it was. She wasn't over weight either. But it was like all my hard work was nothing, to her I'm just slim, she didn't know me before.

It makes me think though about saying things to strangers that you i think is a compliment but to them may not feel that way.

I feel that her saying it was more about her issues with her weight than it was about my size.

I guess if it happens again it'll be less surprising and I'll smile and say thank you.

• Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good question, I have a long way until I reach goal, but whenever someone compliments me on my loss, I always say, "But I still have a way s to go", or " But look at this loose skin". I don't know what what the deal was is.....
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Thank you works

But yes, if it is still strange to be in a new thin fit body, compliments feel strange.

• ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know a guy that really did consider being calling skinny an insult because he has trouble gaining weight/building muscle. I can only assume it was the equivalent of someone calling you fat.

But, personally I also have trouble saying the simple thank you. It gets easier with practice.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    @mlinton_mesapark I think that's what it was. She wasn't over weight either. But it was like all my hard work was nothing, to her I'm just slim, she didn't know me before.

It makes me think though about saying things to strangers that you i think is a compliment but to them may not feel that way.

I feel that her saying it was more about her issues with her weight than it was about my size.

I guess if it happens again it'll be less surprising and I'll smile and say thank you.

This is almost always the case. They're motivated to say things because they have their own issues. But keep in mind that we respond to whatever anyone says in certain ways because of our own issues. :wink:
    ahhhh...Perspective. :smile:

I usually react to similar by saying, "well I'm not quite there yet, but thanks." Which shows that I'm still a little defensive and insecure.

In the future, just endeavor to smile and be polite and friendly, even if what they say steps on your own issues. Turn it into something positive. In her mind, who knows what she was thinking, but I'm betting she was trying to give you a compliment. I'd take it that way, regardless.

I do my dead-level best to go out of my way to behave toward people in a way that, if it isn't magnificent enough to make their day, to at least keep it sunny. And I find that effort rebounds to make me feel better as well, even if their comment didn't "make my year." Paying it forward and all that.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    For guys being called "thin" isn't as positive as it may be for women. One of the hardest things for me, mentally, is that being at a healthy weight makes me so small. I would like to bulk up, with muscle obviously, just to not look so tiny.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I would like to bulk up, with muscle obviously, just to not look so tiny.

Augmentation August? I'm in. :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good question, I have a long way until I reach goal, but whenever someone compliments me on my loss, I always say, "But I still have a way s to go", or " But look at this loose skin". I don't know what what the deal was is.....

Oh gosh, I could have written this response word for word myself - so 'me'.

You wait forever craving a compliment of any kind, but when it comes it's so hard to accept that I personally tend to react quite badly to compliments... I sometimes feel quite angry, even. Like, part of me thinks the compliment-giver is just taking the p!ss. My usual response is to shrug it off, and simultaneously find a reason it isn't true (like jBarnes said, if the compliment is anything to do with my weight loss or appearance I will always ALWAYS say "oh noo, I'm only halfway there.. Still got a long way to go yet" and invariably I will throw a self-insult into the mix, like "trust me, my thighs still look like scrambled eggs" or "Its no use being slimmer if i still wobble like jello", just to balance things out a bit. Not very gracious I know, throwing compliments back in people's faces, but I find it just too uncomfortable yet to accept and believe compliments without balancing out the pretty picture with some ugly realism!

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    For guys being called "thin" isn't as positive as it may be for women. One of the hardest things for me, mentally, is that being at a healthy weight makes me so small. I would like to bulk up, with muscle obviously, just to not look so tiny.

You're in perfect time for Strengthening September, Goat :D ... Hit those weights, my friend! :p I'll keep you company getting buff!

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I just went to Atlanta for work for a week, I saw a bunch of people, coworkers/old friends, that I haven't seen in 5 years, I'm 100 pounds lighter than the last time they saw me. BUT, right now I'm struggling, I gained 15-20 pounds in the last couple months, I've had a hard time getting back on keto full time. So my mindset is "man things are hard right now." But everyone I saw would say "holy crap you look amazing, you're a totally different person!"

I seriously had to psych myself up for this, since I knew it was coming, and to be happy and to accept all the compliments and not drag it down with "yeah but right now I'm not doing so hot." Its very hard for me to just let people be happy for me and for that to be the whole deal. I don't know why either. The good thing about it all though, is that it was a really nice reminder that, even though I'm struggling right now, I have come a really long way from where I started!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am similar to everyone else in that a compliment is typically followed with some self-deprecating humor. Self-deprecation in my mind is humanizing. One time I lost a lot of weight without trying. It was weird to me to not be able to crack chubby jokes. It was weird when people would say "you're so tiny." I always wanted to tell them how big I used to be because in my mind it gave me some kind of credibility and emphasized that I could "relate" to them.

They say you're always supposed to just follow these things with a thank you. Now that I'm working hard to lose weight I speak more truths. I say things like, "Really? You think so? That makes me feel good because I've busted my butt to get this far." Sometimes I get embarrassed by how large I was, it makes me feel like I should apologize. "Sorry I used to be so big" probably isn't a good follow up hahaha.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I am similar to everyone else in that a compliment is typically followed with some self-deprecating humor. Self-deprecation in my mind is humanizing. One time I lost a lot of weight without trying. It was weird to me to not be able to crack chubby jokes. It was weird when people would say "you're so tiny." I always wanted to tell them how big I used to be because in my mind it gave me some kind of credibility and emphasized that I could "relate" to them.

They say you're always supposed to just follow these things with a thank you. Now that I'm working hard to lose weight I speak more truths. I say things like, "Really? You think so? That makes me feel good because I've busted my butt to get this far." Sometimes I get embarrassed by how large I was, it makes me feel like I should apologize. "Sorry I used to be so big" probably isn't a good follow up hahaha.

this exactly. I want to say, no I was fat before so I know how it is. It feels so weird to want them to know that so they don't see me as a skinny person.

It probably comes from me knowing how my friends and I would make sarcastic comments to each other about the "skinny" girls out of envy as if they had it so easy.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It could stem from that. Could it also partially stem from knowing from experience how it feels to want to be smaller but not be? It feels good to have people empathize with how we feel. You mention that you envied the skinny girls and would make sarcastic comments with friends. It's much easier to be overweight when the people around us are also overweight. Those very friends probably helped you feel accepted for who you were at that weight and maybe you want others to feel that, too. A sort of "hey, I was heavy before, I know how you feel, I know what it takes to lose weight, I know how hard it can be and I know how easy it is to envy thin people. I support you! I'm one of you! I'm a fat girl in a skinny body not the other way around." I think it says you care about others.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah, and caring too much about other ppls shallow opinions. Who you are is so much more important than what you look like, but I used to get really upset when ppl called fat ppl lazy and undisciplined. Mean ppl are lazy and undisciplined in being kind, decent compassionate humans! Ours just shows more on the outside more, but being a rotten person is far worse than being overweight.

I'm in my forties. I just don't care what ppl think anymore. I regret ever wasting time caring. Embrace yourself! ;)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am starting to get really irritated by compliments. If people go on and on about how different I look, I want to scream at them to shut the @$&!up which is terrible.

I feel uncomfortable being complimented on losing weight that should never have been gained to start with. It just feels wrong. It's like thanking an abusive partner for not smacking you in the face today.