Does anyone have any clean carbs to recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• fallenintegra
    fallenintegra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with stacien223. Sprouted grain bread is usually the best when it comes to grains. Many people don't know this, and it is a hot topic and debatable, but most of the grains, beans, and legumes/nuts we have available to us are high in phytic acid. This isn't good if you are trying to get the most of your food, and you should be. Phytic acid binds to essential minerals that your body needs. This binding causes your body not to absorb the available minerals from the food, but instead excrete them.

This is why sprouted nuts and grains are the way to go. Also, sprouted grain will still contain gluten. However, there are studies and sources out there that express gluten is not a problem when the food is sprouted. So, people with gluten sensitivities may be able to eat sprouted grains. Also, make sure to go organic with this method. Modern wheat today is a hybrid plant, and many researchers are not really sure if this is bad or not, even though there are studies that stress it is not good, but this is only in high amounts. Millet is said to be good since it is an ancient grain, same with spelt (gluten).

However, don't go too crazy over my info, because phytic acid is also believed to be an antioxidant, meaning it will bind to bad and cancerous minerals in your body. So, there has to be balance.

As far as carbs go, fruits and veggies are the best. Everything has carbs, but which ones are good. I think potatoes are good, high in vitamins and minerals; sweet is better though because it will not spike your blood sugar and they have more fiber (very important). Most fruits are high in carbs, so they are a great source of carbs, but I wouldn't go too crazy with bananas, one a day should be fine, then switch to apples for the rest of the day. I eat sprouted grains, green beans, blackeyed peas, peas, and fruits for my carbs almost on a daily basis.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I spent the day cooking up some food I can eat Thursday, Friday and then freeze. I made a veggie chilli, chicken 'spaghetti' (courgette spaghetti) and a bean rice side dish of the leftover kidney beans, chickpeas and cauliflower rice.

Now I just have to find a tasty recipe to inspire me to do something with these lentils. :smiley:
  • vloach
    vloach Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @glassofroses for the lentils, a really nice dish is a sweet potato and lentil shepherds pie
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bulgur wheat is a great alternative to rice. Red rice is my favorite whole rice. Quite tasty all on its own. Beans, chickpeas, and lentils are high in fiber too. I can eat cups of just lentils cooked in chicken broth. :)

They aren't in vogue right now, but there's nothing wrong with grains, as long as they are whole. High in fiber and b vitamins and they've been eaten for thousands of years by cultures all over the world.