A Weekend with NO CHEATS??? SAY WHAT??

Options
ms6102
ms6102 Posts: 9 Member
Umm, I was so excited to share with you guys. So, this weekends I had no cheats. Everything was keto friendly. I took all my supplements ever day. But, I didn't get to drink all of my water. But, I'm working on it now. I meal prepped for the week, and plan out my weekend.

I have questions. How many meals a day do you eat a day? Do you guys time your meals (eat ever so many hours)?

I'm just starting keto and I do not want to do intermittent fasting at this time. But, I'm really not hungry. I'm researching should I just eat something every three-four hours or only eat when I'm hungry. I realize the deficit in calories is a good thing, but, I don't want to start any unhealthy habits that could cause me some issues down the road.

I've had issues in the past where I may wait to long to eat, and not be prepared and just eat anything. Thanks so much for your support, comments, suggestions and Thoughts

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ms6102 wrote: »
    Umm, I was so excited to share with you guys. So, this weekends I had no cheats. Everything was keto friendly.

Congrats, that's awesome :)

How many meals a day do you eat a day? Do you guys time your meals (eat ever so many hours)?

Personally I eat 2 or 3 meals a day, it can differ from day to day depending on my hunger level and activitiy level. I try to time my breakfast and eat it whether I really feel all that hungry or not, but that's because I've learned that if I don't do that I can run into some... bathroom issues :P This isn't related to keto, just an issue I've had for awhile.

I'm just starting keto and I do not want to do intermittent fasting at this time. But, I'm really not hungry. I'm researching should I just eat something every three-four hours or only eat when I'm hungry.

I've had issues in the past where I may wait to long to eat, and not be prepared and just eat anything. Thanks so much for your support, comments, suggestions and Thoughts

I would say there is absolutely no need or advantage to force yourself to eat every 3-4 hours, but there's also no need for intermittent fasting if you don't want to do that. Basically you want to find what works for you and do it, as long as you aren't eating drastically too little you shouldn't worry about health issues or eating issues based on the timing of your meals.

If you're in a position to just eat when you're hungry and only eat until you're satisifed, go for it!

I share your past issues regarding waiting too long to eat and having that trigger a little bit of a binge or trigger eating something that I really shouldn't. Being on keto (without cheating and letting your body adapt) will help you here and will make this all feel more natural down the road, but for now there is nothing at all wrong with planning everything out in advance and deciding to eat in specific timeframes and to develop a routine that you're comfortable with.

But, don't feel forced to do this, if you're not hungry, you don't have to eat, and nothing bad is going to happen as a result, as long as that doesn't lead to cheating! :)
  • Redztime2shine
    Redztime2shine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!!!

I started off eating 3 meals a day, but now I only eat about 1 - 2 meals a day. I don't worry about meal times because now I just let my body tell when it's time to eat.

Just do what you feel is right when it comes to eating!!

Red
  • ms6102
    ms6102 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yea Thanks Red and radii. I'm trying to listen to my body, but, I don't want to be in a situation where Im not prepared and BOOM! it hits me. I've been doing between 2-3 meals a day. So, I'll guess I'll just see how I feel. Thanks so much for your advice
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It just gets better and better. I generally plan 3 meals but usually eat 2 and then maybe something much lighter in the evening, depending on my hunger level. I started eating 3 with an afternoon snack of celery and a nut butter. I usually eat chicken and broth every day and then eat seafood for the other meal or once a week beef or lamb or pork. I just started eating eggs again too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ms6102 wrote: »
    Yea Thanks Red and radii. I'm trying to listen to my body, but, I don't want to be in a situation where Im not prepared and BOOM! it hits me. I've been doing between 2-3 meals a day. So, I'll guess I'll just see how I feel. Thanks so much for your advice

I tend to stash a serving or two of macadamia nuts in my purse, or some beef jerky. Something portable. Right now at work I have some coconut oil in my cabinet, butter and heavy cream in the fridge, as well as hot tea packets, keto friendly sweetener, and scotch eggs and cheese... I keep the options there so I don't find myself in crisis. At home, I have some pork rinds, dip, cheese in the fridge, pepperoni slices, lunch meat, etc. All so that there is no real chance for crisis while I'm making something safe for me to eat.

Also, I tend to batch cook, so right now I have taco meat cooked up. I just dump some in a bowl, nuke it, add some sour cream and cheese and avocado or a few tiny tomatoes if I want, and I'm good to go. if it took me 2 hours to cook every time I wanted to eat, this wouldn't work for me. I can cook over medium eggs in about 5 minutes total. Pickle, cheese, and pepperoni or lunchmeat when I don't want something hot are good standbys.

Basically, learn how to prepare yourself, and don't let yourself get to the point where you're ready to eat your firstborn (theoretically and intentionally dramatic example) or your way through 6 pounds of chocolate just to get through to the next meal. Most of us get pretty vulnerable to cravings if we get to that TOO HUNGRY stage, but those HANGRY moments will get fewer and further between the better you adapt to this eating lifestyle.