Almond Milk: Still Keto-kosher?

saintsfanatik
saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
Read this article today re: How Almond Milk doesn't have a lot of almonds:

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2015/07/your-almond-milk-has-no-almonds

I'd be interested in what the group here feels about Almond Milk in general, and if it's wise to still drink it.

Replies

• abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    if you get no added sugar almond milk it has hardly any calories, so it follows that it isn't going to have much except water in it.
    i usually water down double cream (heavy cream) if i am cooking a recipe you need milk in.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    If you google it, there are lots of recipes for making your own... all you need is almonds, water, a blender and some cheesecloth.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    I think if a person enjoys almond milk they should go ahead and drink it. Pretty much anyone could write a story about every food available (yes, even your yard grown vegetables tainted by your neighbor's lawn chemicals) and give you a reason to not eat/drink anything. Let me get this straight though, 2 consumers are suing the company for $5 million in damages? I assume this is because an overconsumption of water has cost them $5 million. :D
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I drink unsweetened vanilla Almond breeze every single day :)
  • flatlandrunner
    flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
    I drink a bit of both everyday! Heavy cream for my coffee and almond milk for everything else (except baking)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    When I make peanut butter protein shakes (they are my go-to breakfast on 7am meeting days or when I'm craving PB), I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's awesome.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    That story is interesting, I just recently made my own almond milk, even when you make it at home the majority of it is water. All you do is blend water and almonds then strain out all the almond pulp, I didn't weigh the almonds and pulp before and after so I don't know how much stays in the milk but its not a lot.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    supergirl6 wrote: »
    When I make peanut butter protein shakes (they are my go-to breakfast on 7am meeting days or when I'm craving PB), I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's awesome.

Do you mind sharing a recipe with any info you have on nutritional information? It sounds delicious!
    That story is interesting, I just recently made my own almond milk, even when you make it at home the majority of it is water. All you do is blend water and almonds then strain out all the almond pulp, I didn't weigh the almonds and pulp before and after so I don't know how much stays in the milk but its not a lot.

I had a similar thought but I have never made it so I didn't want to pretend to be an expert on almond milk. My understanding is that it is mostly water. Delicious water.

• supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    m_puppy wrote: »
    supergirl6 wrote: »

Do you mind sharing a recipe with any info you have on nutritional information? It sounds delicious!

It's not very exciting! I use 8oz of unsweeted vanilla almond milk and then add a scoop of Quest Peanut Butter protein. Sometimes if I'm feeling really wild and crazy, I'll add a teaspoon of unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder.

It's a little more expensive as far as protein shakes go, but I go through it pretty slowly since I only use it occasionally. I sometimes have really early meetings and am not interested in eating breakfast that early so I carry the shake with me. Here's the nutrition info on the powder: http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-powders/peanut-butter-2lb-canister/