ETL Like Joel in July

Options
13»

Replies

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    love your wedding pic in the trees - gorgeous!! You look gorgeous, too!! :wink: hot mamma!!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Wow, beautiful wedding pictures!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't think the pic opened when I last posted, cuz I didn't see it! You look great!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks so much you guys, you're the best :) It was a gorgeous spot at a conservation centre, so we have all these cool green and nature pics!! thankfully we had an hour or two before the rain started.

Yesterday I had my first totally ETL day in foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I feel so proud of myself, even though that's kind of silly. But I didn't have any sugar, which lately, has been a big feat (again). It gives me enough confidence to take me through today. I've got a healthy day planned again.

I have ANOTHER bachelorette this weekend. Luckily my girlfriends are also on health streaks, but alcohol will be the real danger. Wish me luck.

Laura, wow, great job with the run!! I love those realizations (like, "hey, I'm actually doing it!"). Sounds like you're not far off from a 5k. I miss running too lately, I'm going to look into a C25k program.

Mihani, yes, stress is the biggest trigger. I look to food as relief and also junk food as an excuse because I have no time or energy. I'm trying to take a page from your book and get back to trying new smoothies. Tomorrow I'm going to try OSG's Hidden Greens Chocolate Protein Smoothie.

Jean, that must be really hard working where you work. I worry about unexpected death a lot! But luckily I am ignorant to all the unexpected illnesses and diagnoses that there are out there. It would be tough doing that day in and day out. How are you feeling today? Your peach sounded tasty!

Hope you guys all have a lovely Thursday :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    Quick check in now, and I'll catch up with the thread after my hike
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm still not 100% etl, but I've been getting progressively better the last 3 weeks. It's good. I'm gaining confidence here, too... (A theme for the month, I think!)

I've renewed my interest in my food consumption. I think I'll be doing better again for the next little while, at least. I'm armed with a bunch of new recipes to try - I've been printing them out and looking ahead on the calendar. As long as I have access to my blender, food processor and good grocery stores, I should be okay for the next couple of months!! I'm actually excited all over again, so that's a good thing...

Today I tried a brand new smoothie and it was great! So I'll share:
    1 cup coconut water
    2 bananas
    2 cups spinach
    2.5 cups frozen dark cherries

So tasty!!

Last night I made myself a chia seed drink with coconut water, the juice of 2 limes, and some pure maple syrup. Left it in the fridge overnight to have mid-morning for when I get hungry before lunch. It was a very interesting little treat - something different from normal water. And it did the trick - it held me over until noon. Might have to use that trick a few more times while I get back into the swing of things... Actually, I was supposed to use coconut sap, but I couldn't find it here locally (at least not in a pinch - will have to drive around and see if anyone carries it).

Tomorrow I'm going to try an avocado chia seed chocolate pudding for an afternoon snack, I think... I know Dr. F doesn't want us to snack, but I truly haven't been making it until supper time of late - in fact, as I write this, I'm wondering if I have anything for a snack in my desk...

Not sure what I'm making myself for supper just yet... Lunch was just some raw veggies and a piece of garlic toast (there's my starchy carb for the day!!)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

I've renewed my interest in my food consumption. I think I'll be doing better again for the next little while, at least. I'm armed with a bunch of new recipes to try - I've been printing them out and looking ahead on the calendar. As long as I have access to my blender, food processor and good grocery stores, I should be okay for the next couple of months!! I'm actually excited all over again, so that's a good thing...

This is me, too. I'm feeling more motivated than I have in a long time.

I re-read End of Dieting yesterday, and today I'm re-reading Eat for Health. They are obviously pretty similar, but I have decided I'm not going to read any diet or nutrition books for the next six weeks except Nutritarian texts so my ADHD doesn't make me switch plans with each new book.

I bought most of the supplies to make my first ETL salad dressing today, and I'm planning to walk to a different supermarket after dinner to get the rest. I plan to make some soups soon, but first I'm going to use up the Amy's Organic from the pantry.

Feels great to be back on track
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Well shoot... I just typed a whole post and lost it. It seems a lot of us are feeling some new enthusiasm and focus on eating right. I made 5 different kinds of soup between Friday and Saturday, and the freezer is well stocked. Also got 8 bags of Trader Joe's veggie stir-fry for easy dinners. I don't like most frozen veggies, they are always mushy and blah, but TJ's are really good. Also stocked on lettuce and veggies for salads.

Peas, your comment about changing your plan with each new book made me laugh. I do the same thing.

I brought some files home from the office yesterday and haven't managed to get going on work yet. Must get busy.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    It's great that so many of us are feeling so motivated lately; hopefully we can keep each other's momentum going until we're "hooked" again.

I made the southwest ranch dressing from End of Dieting and it turned out great! I will definitely make it again.

Going to the Hollywood farmers market today for some fresh produce and entertainment. Last time there was a guy in a full body gold lame jumpsuit and platform boots, walking a Dalmatian. I waited a bit to see what kind of act he had at the market, but he just bought some oranges and kale and left. I love Hollyweird
  • mjhartness
    mjhartness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I'm new to this group. Have been following "Joel" for a while, on and off....Hit it hard about a week ago and am doing the 6 week aggressive start....Once I made it through the detox symptoms from the caffeine withdrawal, I was good to go.

I am just getting back on mfp after a long absence, my niece wanted friends on here, so I thought I'd give it a go, wasn't sure how the numbers would look with ETL.

Here is a normal day for me: Up early, hot lemon water, 2 mile walk w/ dog. B: either veggie/fruit smoothie w/ flax, hemp and unsweetened almond milk or quinoa w/ nuts and berries. Lunch: huge GBOMB salad or soup and fruit. Dinner: Huge salad, either soup or something I've made from the ETL cookbook. Getting used to no snacks was a little iffy, but I made it through week 1 and didn't die, so there ya go :)

Have a great day, hope to get to know some of my fellow "nutes". I will try to go back and read up later today.

Marci
  • liapr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Marci! Welcome to the group :) Sounds like a healthy day for sure. I have to remember that sometimes, when I'm hungry or really want something I shouldn't have, and think "It really won't be the end of the world if I don't get it" lol. Snacks are hard to give up though!

Nice to see everyone and everyone in good spirits and enthusiasm!! Love it, and hoping it's contagious. I do feel pretty motivated too. I'm determined to get started back on my exercise routine each night too.
    Mihani, you had an amazing prep weekend! That is so impressive.
    Peas, I lol'd at the gold jumpsuit, lol. Great idea about re-reading the books. I think I'll put out End of Dieting because I never finished it.
    Karrie, your smoothie sounds so simply and delicious! Will try that for sure. I love love love frozen cherries.

I went away for the weekend for a bachelorette. It was 5 hours of driving on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday! I was so tired. We did whitewater rafting which I really hated. I had a bit of a panic attack but made it out alive, lol. Almost happy to be back at my desk and not in a car or raft lol.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Checking in. Mom had her first check up yesterday after starting her new chemotherapy routine. Thankfully, there was good news that came from it. All the test results came back and it showed that she had the "Philadelphia gene" which means the medication they chose for her should be the perfect match for the type of Leukemia she is dealing with. Her white blood count was down to 6,700 from a high of 217,000 nearly two weeks ago and is now considered to be in the "normal" range. Her muscle and joint pain was slightly better yesterday, though, she is still having a really hard time sleeping and is still pretty exhausted. She did get the "ok" to take Motrin for her joint pain which is a big step. So, while we are still dealing with the aftershock of all of this at least we can take some solace in knowing that she is on the right treatment plan and we are hoping she gets to remission status by Halloween. Fingers crossed!

I had a total kick butt workout yesterday, was covered in sweat, out of breath and smiling from ear to ear. I am still doing a walk/run workout with some really steep incline work at the end. When I started this routine at the beginning of the month I was barely getting through jogging a full minute at 4mph and barely made it through the eight one minute intervals. Yesterday I ran a total of 18 minutes and had one stretch where I went a full 4 minutes jogging. I am so encouraged to see so much progress. I am looking to get all my jogging intervals to 4 minutes and eventually increase it to being able to jog an entire 5K without stopping. After that I will likely start working on my speed. Feels awesome to have a plan! Tonight I plan to tackle my other love - Tae Bo. I haven't done this in a very long time, but, the combination of these two workouts along with logging my food is what worked for me before, so, hopefully I see the similar results this time.

I had kind of let things go at home food wise due to push back from the family. But, decided late last week that if I am going to be the one working all day, fitting in a work out and then cooking I am going to cook the way I need to cook and folks will just have to cope with eating healthier versions of the food they like. I found a site that had a lot of crock pot recipes that you basically can just put all the ingredients in a bag, freeze it and then dump it in the crock pot whenever you need to. I am hoping to have a couple healthy crock pot meals each week, let my daughter (who is my health conscious buddy) cook one day and then have simple meals for the remaining days. This way I can come home, get my workout in and have dinner at a decent time. My daughter is 12 now and has had some cooking ventures herself, so, she decided she wanted to pitch in and help us stay out of the "let's just order something out" pitfall. So, I plan to teach her a lot and rely on her. Being the only girls in the house it is kind of nice to know we have each others backs. She wants to be my running buddy once I get to the point that I can keep up with her too.

Anyhow, that's about it from my corner of the world. Feeling stronger and more in control every day. It's a really good place to be right now.
  • liapr
    Options
    Awesome update, Laura! Great news all around. Your running sounds awesome, and having a running buddy in the family would be perfect :) You can egg each other on.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Marci! Welcome to the group. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Caffeine withdrawal is ugly isn’t it? I’m agreeing with what Lia said, about needing to remind myself that it's not the end of the world if I don’t get a snack. It is something that I struggle with a lot, especially when I'm stressed and tired at the office.

Peas, sounds like lots of fun stuff to see beyond the fruits and veggies at the farmers market. I have yet to read End of Dieting, what do you think? Is it mostly repeating what’s in ETL and EFH?

Lia, I’ve never been whitewater rafting, I’d never survive lol. But now you can say you’ve done it! How are things settling down now that all the wedding stuff is over? How’s your pup?

Laura, great news that things are looking up for your mom, and whoa you are kicking butt on the workouts! Good job taking a stand on the cooking too. Glad you are getting the family to work with you.

I made the OSG basil scalloped tomatoes with croutons tonight. It’s good, I used the 3 minute vegan parmesan recipe (toasted sesame seeds, nooch, a pinch of salt) and I didn’t think it was as good as the store-bought vegan parmesan that I used last time. It was lacking that “bite” that parmesan has. I’ll have to look for more recipes to try though, I like the idea of a more whole foods style parm than the soy stuff you can buy.

Watched some of the American Ninja Warriors last night. I hadn’t seen it before, but I was really in awe of the athletes. Holy smokes are they tough! It made me a little bit sad to realize how much I’ve let my strength and fitness fall to the wayside over the past year. I was feeling pretty badass myself a year ago and now I just feel blah and weak again. What was that workout you were doing Lia? Maybe I should try that. I get bored with the 30DS after a few times in a row and need to mix it up more. I want to get back to the gym but work is so crazy still, and I need fallback plans for when I’m stuck late. I was working until 10:00 last night, ugh. I’m not sleeping very well either, which is unusual for me. I love sleep! I am going to get to bed super early tonight.

Start thinking about an August thread title. I’m drawing a blank so far. I am also thinking I’m going to start the 6 week plan on August 1st just to get myself back on track and take off the pounds I put back on. Only 3 1/2 months until we’re back into the holiday season and I do NOT want to face the holidays at this weight. So I think I’m off to re-read bits of ETL to get my mind ready for the 6 weeks. With all these soups and veggies in the freezer I should be able to make it through pretty easily.

<3 y'all
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    Yes, End of Dieting is essentially the same as ETL, but maybe with more focus on the why instead of the how (though I last read ETL several months ago, so I might not be remembering it quite right)

In terms of the recommendations, it's slightly more permissive than ETL, but still stricter than Eat for Health.
  • liapr
    Options
    Mihani, I hear ya! I feel like this body has never exercised ever! The last program I did was T25! It was from beachbody. I bought it used off of ebay I think. I started Insanity Max 30 on Monday and omg I'm still very sore. It really was a bit pathetic but I was proud of myself for trying at least.

Peas, I agree - I like that End of Dieting is more about recognizing that it's not as simple as "just stop eating sugar, junk, etc." but there is a lot more mentally involved.

I tried making smoothie bowls for breakfast the last two days which have been pretty good! Nice and filling and like eating cereal but it's all fruit/nuts/granola/seeds.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Another decent day, not totally ETL but good. I am getting excited about starting the 6 week plan on Saturday. I am going to check out End of Dieting.

Lia, absolutely, getting it done at all is a win! I actually kind of like the soreness of beginning to work out again after an absence. It's like telling my body see, this is what you get lol.

I crashed so hard last night, slept about 9 hours and was later to work than usual. I try to be in before 7:30 and I didn't get there until almost 8:00. Eep. But now the boss is off for a few days and I am going to try really hard to get caught up a bit. Seems like that is the underlying theme of my life, trying to get caught up!
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Getting in my workout last night was a true struggle. I was tired and just feeling very burned out. Only three days of laser focus and I could feel myself just totally drained. Suddenly the world seemed to just be pushing in on me. My new motto with working out is "when you don't feel like working out those are the times you really need to work out" so, I got changed and hit the treadmill. My runs were harder than Monday and I only got in 17 minutes total, which, I was kind of bummed about. Then I flipped to the front of my notebook I use to log my workouts and noticed the first entry earlier this month where I was struggling through running a total of 4 minutes in 30 second intervals. Suddenly it really hit me just how great I have done this month. Made me realize that while the runs yesterday were hard and I didn't have that "high" getting off the treadmill it was still a huge success! I can run a full 2-4 minutes straight now versus 30 seconds. Made me smile.

I had a very unsuccessful discussion with DH last night. I tried to just be very upfront with him and tell him that I really felt like dinner was an uphill battle. That every night I say I don't want to eat out he gets all prickly. I told him I felt like he was just completely disengaged from the whole dinner process to the point that I don't even ask him to help anymore. I also tried to explain how he says he is being supportive but his actions when it comes to dinner don't really reflect what he is saying. I explained how important his support was to me. He replied with the fact that he encourages me to go workout, he doesn't say anything about eating later but that yeah...he would rather just pick up the phone and order a pizza. It is simple, it is easy, it is always perfect and you don't have to even think about it. He said he just doesn't want to be involved in the dinner process at all. I just sat there and felt like my heart was breaking as I realized again that I just couldn't rely on him. I guess I had hoped, through all his talk, for more support on the dinner front. Realizing over and over that I just am going to be working full time, working out, fixing dinner, cleaning up and everything else...sigh...sometimes it just gets to be a little much. I am just trying to focus on the fact that these are my goals, my changes and my choices - not his. So, I told him he should feel free to order dinner whenever he wants, but, that I won't be eating out more than once a week. So, if he orders something he needs to understand I will be eating something I make myself at home. I. just. can't. live. that. life. any. more. I figure I have a pretty good game plan in place with the crock pot meals and my daughter. Even my oldest son isn't opposed to helping with dinner. So, they will just be my little group of supporters and helpers. I just need to stop expecting DH to change or be things that he's not I guess. Maybe one day all this will wear off on him.

Anyhow.

Today will be another Tae Bo day and Friday my last run/walk day of the week. I am thinking Saturday I may spend the morning cleaning my bike and go for a good long bike ride. Six days in a row working out!!! Whooo Hooo! I am also going to make some trips out to look at some used weights to add to my collection. We have a Play it Again Sports near us that I plan to go check out. I would really like to get a weight bench and maybe some kettle bells...possibly some more dumbbells - and, I would like to get them cheap! Sunday will be another prep day with some more crock pot meals put together and probably a rest day from working out.

OK - back to work I go. Have great day's everyone!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Laura, sorry to hear your hubs isn't being as supportive as hoped. I don't know if it would help, but I found steamfresh veggies (plain veggies no sauce, just steam in the bag) on sale today for $1.00 per bag, I bought 8 of them and am going back tomorrow for more. They aren't like fresh, but they aren't bad. They are 12 oz and I figure that's close to my pound of cooked veggies for the day and easy to grab and nuke. Look for sales on stuff like that so you have something easy. I usually throw some soy sauce or salsa on them, I know salt is a no-no, and I need to look for something less salty, but I figure if I'm eating nothing but veggies for dinner I'm not going to sweat the salt. I'm trying to get totally stocked up on frozen veggies, I don't really like them that much (greatly prefer fresh), but I am determined to do the 6 week plan and I need it to be simple. Great job on the workouts!

Today was okay food-wise, managed to avoid snacks, just super busy with the boss away and fielding all the calls he would normally take. Can't wait for Saturday to be able to work and not answer the phone. We have a receptionist to answer the phone, but when the boss is away most of the calls end up coming to me. It's tiring and I can't concentrate on what I need to do when I keep getting interrupted.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Decent day other than the bloody marys at the bar out with my brother. So worth it. Kind of a last hurrah before I hit my 6 week plan. So ready to start that! Still haven't thought of a decent thread title for August, any ideas?