Lifting and Eating

Options
TigerNY128
TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
Hello everyone! I recently lost 42 pounds just by diet alone. I have just started lifting. My boyfriend is into body building, so he's training me, but he's not so great on nutritional advice as we have very different requirements. I would love to see what everyone's stats are and what/how much you eat and your macros.

I am 5'7", 134 pounds. I was eating 1300-1400 calories to lose weight but I'm starting to realize this is not enough for lifting and building strength and muscle. So far I'm on a 4 day a week lifting schedule. I always get at least 120 grams of protein a day.

Thanks to everyone for reading and sharing!

Replies

• cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try for 40p/30f/30c, and 1200 net (after consuming calories burned by exercise). I read just last night about the wave diet, which is basically what I do, on training days I eat more. I eat mostly paleo. For a month, I committed to no alcohol. I'm trying to cut. My size is 145#/5'-6". I'm 42.

What I try and what I do aren't dead on. Lately it's been 40p/40c/20f, 1400 net.
    I started losing weight after 3 weeks. But at 4 weeks, I wasn't where I hoped to be. I had my cheat day and I'm back at it, attempting to stick closer to the plan. Today was the first day and I missed some things. But I understand that to get where I want to be, I will have uncomfortable days. I just don't want to interfere with my lifting for lack of energy. I'll give it a month. However, I do think I gained strength last month which, in hindsight, is the best thing for me.

I clean 95, squat 135, deadlift 185, shoulder press 65. I'm learning snatch, so keep the weight low. I need to work on my shoulders. I haven't been practicing jerk. I am working on static pull-up, just not there yet. I workout twice a day, one workout is either running 3 miles or walking. I rest two days a week, only one if I'm not crushed.

So that's my stats in a nutshell. I'm hopeful for serious gains over the winter. I'm planning to compete locally next spring/summer.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2300. I haven't counted calories in some time, but pretty much eat the same thing. I'm in maintenance focusing on strength, so a bit of a surplus. I try to hit at least 150g protein a day.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your plan sounds pretty good, but it does sounds like you should eat more. I would increase my calories slowly, like just 100 calories a day.

My maintenance calories are around 2500 calories. I eat slightly less then that during the week and I go over during the weekend when I'm a little more relaxed. At the end of the week the calories balance out so I don't lose or gain (other then temporary water weight from the weekend).

I eat balanced. Currently I strive for 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fats.

I workout twice a day 4 days a week...weights in the AM and speed walking for 3 - 4 miles after dinner. The other 3 days I just walk and/or do light workouts from Youtube or from an exercise DVD. I'm trying to increase my number of pull ups and get fancier with my jump roping skills (not strength I know).

I don't drink my calories from things like soda, store-bought juice and alcohol, but I will make homemade lemonade from time to time and I eat in moderation and watch my portions.

I'm really proud of myself and happy with my results.

Good luck OP!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are. Are you are looking to build muscle and/or strength or is it weight loss. Unfortunately it can be hard to do both at the same time so focus on one. For me it is weight loss. I have just adjusted my goals. I was doing the 40/30/30 but I needed a change. I have lost over 100lbs. My new goal is (1344 calories) P125g C85g and fat 56g. If you feel like you need to eat more, then increase on your 4 lifting days. Focus the majority of your carbs before and after workouts. I am 5'5" and 185lbs and 46 years old. I lift 4 days a week, cardio one day (the other 4 days I do a 15-20 min elliptical warm up and I walk 2x/day). My weekends are my off rest days.
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7 and 136 lbs and I have been taking in 1425 cals and I too noticed that my strength was lacking in the gym so I just bumped up to abt 1600 cals a day 45pro-35 carbs 20 fat lift 4 days a week 2 leg days and minimum cardio. I'm cutting right now and lifting heavy to maintain as much muscle as possible. I also use a pre-workout drink. It seems to help me get through.
  • TheNewKristin
    TheNewKristin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 160 (ugh, trying to lose) and on rest days I aim for 15-1600, 18-1900 on lifting days.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im 40,5'4,and 190 lbs... Im currently at 1430 cal. A day but im thinking i need to up my calories to 1600.cal on lifting days.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are not trying to cut .8 grams per pound of body weight is sufficient for protein. I use 45% carb 25% fat and about 30% protein. That is my preference as I like more carbs than fats. Approx1800-2200 calories. I have learned to listen to my body more and adjust what days I need to. I am approximately 140 5'9" currently working to build more. I have an extremely sedentary job but work out 6 days per week w 3-4 good lifting sessions, and lately 3 cardios as week usually 1 60 min and 2 for 20-30 mins.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! I have upped my call to 1650 on nonlifting days and 1800 on lifting days. I just changed this week, but I could honestly tell a slight difference in leg day yesterday.