Building muscle

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
I've been trying to lose fat and gain muscle for the past 1.5 years. In that time I've gained a lot of strength and I'm sure I've lost some fat but I am no where near the amount I wanted to lose. Feeling frustrated I went to my doctor to see if there was any other reason I was having so much trouble losing as I have tightened my diet and increased the reps, frequency, weights, etc... and still mostly wear the same clothes I did before making the changes.

Anyway my dr. weighed me and did a body scan. He made some recommendations of lowering calories and gave me leptin supplements which are supposed to help break down the stubborn fat. I went back after a month, extra frustrated because I knew I hadn't made progress and also frustrated because I wasn't able to eat such a low amount of food (1500 cal). Anyway, he rescanned me and then said he was pleased with my progress because I had gained 1.5 pounds of lean mass and lost .5 pounds of fat. He explained that the reason I didn't think I was losing is because I was gaining so much muscle so when I look at the scale it looks like a wash. He also said that 1.5 pounds of muscle was a pretty large amount to gain in a month because it takes a long time to build muscle.

I didn't change my workouts at all during this month so I was wondering if its reasonable to expect to gain 1.5 pounds of muscle monthly forever? Is there a point where you plateau and don't add new muscle anymore? I think I am probably not gaining muscle as fast as I did initially when I went from couch potato to gym rat over a period of about 4 months. Do I need to add more lifting sessions if I find that I stop gaining muscle? Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to understand what I have to look forward too. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    okulyd wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose fat and gain muscle for the past 1.5 years. In that time I've gained a lot of strength and I'm sure I've lost some fat but I am no where near the amount I wanted to lose. Feeling frustrated I went to my doctor to see if there was any other reason I was having so much trouble losing as I have tightened my diet and increased the reps, frequency, weights, etc... and still mostly wear the same clothes I did before making the changes.

Anyway my dr. weighed me and did a body scan. He made some recommendations of lowering calories and gave me leptin supplements which are supposed to help break down the stubborn fat. I went back after a month, extra frustrated because I knew I hadn't made progress and also frustrated because I wasn't able to eat such a low amount of food (1500 cal). Anyway, he rescanned me and then said he was pleased with my progress because I had gained 1.5 pounds of lean mass and lost .5 pounds of fat. He explained that the reason I didn't think I was losing is because I was gaining so much muscle so when I look at the scale it looks like a wash. He also said that 1.5 pounds of muscle was a pretty large amount to gain in a month because it takes a long time to build muscle.

I didn't change my workouts at all during this month so I was wondering if its reasonable to expect to gain 1.5 pounds of muscle monthly forever? Is there a point where you plateau and don't add new muscle anymore? I think I am probably not gaining muscle as fast as I did initially when I went from couch potato to gym rat over a period of about 4 months. Do I need to add more lifting sessions if I find that I stop gaining muscle? Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to understand what I have to look forward too. Thanks in advance for your insights!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/
    http://greatist.com/fitness/beginners-guide-building-muscle

Most of the research in this area is for men, women of course do not gain as fast as men it seems.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes its is the newbie gains at the beginning! Just continue to push yourself and lift harder and eating enough to gain muscle. I have been told that gaining about 5 actual pounds of muscle would be very upward amount within a year for a female naturally.
  • bobaney
    bobaney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been listening to the podcasts from veganproteins.com founders who are bodybuilders, and they spoke about how on average a male can gain twice as much as a female, and 2 pounds in a month is normal for a training female. At the start you may progress faster but you will eventually plateau.

I would suggest finding a personal trainer to help you with your workout program, so you know when to mix up your exercises. Also a nutrition coach to help you meal plan. Or someone who is both! Or you can read a heap online and try it yourself. I've been trying it myself but because I'm impatient I'm signing up with two coaches to get both next month.
    What you want is to get enough protein that you repair your muscle after a work out, and feed your body enough energy so that when you do work out your body doesn't start eating your muscles.
    If your doctor is happy then that is great and you should be super proud!!! Measuring your muscles like bicep circumference and getting the pinch test for body fat may make you notice the change too.
    Go you!!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Were you eating at a calorie deficit? I don't think you could be putting on that much muscle if you're eating at a deficit. Everything I've read suggests that you need to eat a calorie surplus in order to actually build muscle, otherwise you are simply maintaining what you already have. That's not to say you aren't getting stronger! Also, if you've already been working out with strength training for 1.5 years, newbie gains will not apply to you unless you JUST started lifting 'heavy' weights.

I tried to take a look through your diary but it seems rather empty. In order to really put on muscle you have to make sure you are hitting your protein goal over all. You should be aiming for 0.8-1 g of protein for every lb of lean body mass.

I think you should check out the Recomp thread on the main forums by USMCMP. It sounds like this is what you are looking to do (lose body fat, put on muscle, not eat at a deficit).There is a lot of really great info in that thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If your gym allows it (not all do), introduce complex lifts... cleans, clean & jerk, snatches. Those lifts are a full body workout as opposed to lifts that target one muscle group.
  • marygoya91
    marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What program did you use? That's awesome that you were se to gain muscle!