Plateau with reduction in thyroxine.

Options
katerinabowler
katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
I only have 4lbs to go to goal, so it's not a big deal really. I reduced my medication to 25mcg because 50mcg was making me feel horrible... Palpitations and breathlessness. My weight loss had been 1lb week, and now it hasn't budged since I reduced my dose (4 weeks, although I lost steadily before I started on the medication in the first place) I am pretty happy with my weight, and happy to stop here, but I'm not eating much 1350 per day. I feel a bit sad that this is maintenance for me now.... It doesn't feel like much food.

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For me reduction of medication = weight gain.

Is the 1350 kcal your net goal? How much do you exercise? Maybe you could get a bit of wiggle room there?
  • katerinabowler
    Options
    Yeah, that's true. Maybe I'll try introducing more cardio. Thank you! Makes me hungry though
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Medication changes can sometimes take the body a few days to adjust to. Although, weight loss does slow up a bit the closer you are to reaching your goal.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    1,350 is not enough to maintain on—I'm 5'2", 115 lbs., and I eat 1,800. And 1 lb. per week is way too aggressive for someone with 4 lbs. to go. Switch your goal to .5 lb. per week, be patient, and please read the Sexypants post. So much good advice: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

When you stop eating at a deficit, you'll regain all that water & glycogen you lost at the very beginning. Don't panic! Also, your weight will fluctuate, so it's important to choose a goal range rather than a goal weight.

Congratulations on your loss! I know how hard it is to lose weight with a wonky thyroid. Yay, you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I reduced my medication to 25mcg because 50mcg was making me feel horrible... Palpitations and breathlessness.

Talk to your endocrinologist. If 50mcg was too much but 25 is not enough, he or she may have you take 25 one day & 50 the next.

It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • katerinabowler
    Options
    Lots of great advice! Thank you so much. Out of interest, how much does hypothyroidism lower your bmr? I'm sure it must vary... But is it lots or just a little?
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice! Thank you so much. Out of interest, how much does hypothyroidism lower your bmr? I'm sure it must vary... But is it lots or just a little?

Theoretically if you are on a correct dose of medicine your bmr should be just like any healthy person's. But still many thyroid patients need more time / effort to lose weight. Mary Shomon, a thyroid patient advocate and an author of several books on the subject claims, based on her experience, that you should deduct extra 200 kcal from your calories goal if you have a wonky thyroid.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are you able to exercise more or incorporate resistance training? This is how I stay sane and able to eat the foods I love.

As for hypo and BMR lowering I'm about to go in for a total body scan and will be off meds for 8 weeks. I'm submitting a clinical and will be testing BMR test daily to identify the lag associated with Synthroid. Once this gets published I'll provide a link.

There is no set percentage, but many believe it to be ~10-20% reduction - highly dependent upon the output of the individual's thyroid.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Are you able to exercise more or incorporate resistance training? This is how I stay sane and able to eat the foods I love.

As for hypo and BMR lowering I'm about to go in for a total body scan and will be off meds for 8 weeks. I'm submitting a clinical and will be testing BMR test daily to identify the lag associated with Synthroid. Once this gets published I'll provide a link.

There is no set percentage, but many believe it to be ~10-20% reduction - highly dependent upon the output of the individual's thyroid.

That's fascinating. Please do update when it gets published. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to do a total body scan (not hypochondriac, just thought it would be incredible to see how your body functions).
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I also really want to know about this! I like many others have been on that medication with problems, and since I suspect it has never been quite right. please keep us updated

• Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options

Egads! No Thyrogen? I would keel over if I had to prep for a whole body scan the old fashioned way. Even just with Thyrogen, I feel really wonky for about 3-4 days after the 2nd dose, not well enough to go to work.

I'll also look forward to you publishing your results. Very interesting to measure!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »

Egads! No Thyrogen? I would keel over if I had to prep for a whole body scan the old fashioned way. Even just with Thyrogen, I feel really wonky for about 3-4 days after the 2nd dose, not well enough to go to work.

I'll also look forward to you publishing your results. Very interesting to measure!

Ha! I'm a glutton for punishment and my curiosity is overriding my common sense, so no Thyrogen this time. I start in November and have my suite time approved.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    "Curiosity over common sense", scientific brain. I can appreciate the the value of Thyrogen as a diagnostic tool etc. I've looked at the contraindications etc and am grateful this is not relevant to me. I would like to think that if there was something I could do to help improve understanding I'd go for it too.