July: Our Journey to Health

Options

Replies

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Snooozie- you find the absolute best motivational and humorous signs and sayings! Thanks for sharing and for all your encouragement !!! That's fantastic you're retiring in a year- I think you're gonna love love love it!!!

OWR thoughts and prayers going your way for little Harry. I think at times like these you gotta do whatever it is that helps you get through the stress.

Gail- glad the meds are working a little better at least.great job getting some exercise in, too :)

I'm finally pretty much over my cold/cough/virus thing - yay! And thanks to some early morning monsoon storms the temps cooled down to 80's so I even got a dog walk in late morning yesterday. Only good thing about the virus is that it took my appetite away, but the first day I started feeling better (yesterday) I was starving and ate all day :o it made me realize that half my battle is fighting hunger , so I am thinking about adding some healthy snacks during the day and eating a little less at meal time to allow the calories for that. At any rate, it's good to be back in the land of the living lol.

Hope everyone has a healthy and enjoyable weekend :)
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    like!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Susan - so glad to hear you're feeling human again!! and that you got monsoons.. feels weird saying that's a good thing somehow lol, but if it gave you the chance to get out away from the insane heat yay!! welcome back to the land of the living LOL

Patrice.. love your "lurker" like LOL

Got my walk in this morning; missed out yesterday and felt "off".. tonight is my last PanAm detail then I have a week off - was thinking of cancelling it and saving it til later since I've had a lot of time of this month, but then realized I would be on midnight shift... sooooooo I'm keeping it LOL!

h4lcy7imr3gx.jpg

• OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Love all of those! And need one that kicks me in the head right now. Such an annoying phenomenon that it takes months of walking and doing to well to get to a place of health and approximately less than 2 weeks to fall completely out of it! Went out for a "run" for the first time in a couple weeks last Friday, and oh my - A: moved about like a turtle in peanut butter and B -- oh my! muscles so sore! What? Oh well, back to it and get it done! I need to decide to get healthier, fitter and maybe not so much faster, but stronger Yes! August will be a month of DO THIS!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Where's the like button. I wanted to just like everything that I am catching up on. Awesome pics and sayings. I can't read it all but I have truly missed everyone. Just to catch everyone up. My husband has a large family and since we moved he extended a heartful invitation for them to visit. Well 12 showed up(thank God only 1/3 showed up, and as I am writing 6 are packing and preparing to leave/ I will help you if you are having a moment to do the math, 6 are staying. :wink:
    To go forward I have been off my diet, yes I have a great need to leave my house and go out alone and have a overflow of wine and sushi this have made up atleast three of my days everyweek. I have been focused however on continuing to play tennis 3 times a week. Also to share besides working full time and more responsibility is added to my job at work, I was also accepted into school and have started full time, right before his family arrived, for my phd in public health (stress overload) My peeps yes you guys, I found this powerful need to share why because this will probably be one of my modes of venting so I am apologizing ahead of time and will truly understand if you skip over my ranting.
    I have only one goal this week to stay sane. I will think of another one to add next week.

Peace and Love everyone.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    omg Milove.. you might wanna look back at the "sanity cartoon" I posted for OWR next week - sounds like you need it this week!!

I was exhausted just READING your life right now... between work, school and so much company??? (and yes we love our families... but omg..... 12 ?????? and six are staying?? Gotta say it you are a BRAVER woman than me!! You vent away here any time you need it..... honestly I would want to run away on my own and hide for a few minutes every single day LOL.

SO impressed you're going for your PHD .. and that you're keeping up with the tennis and moving yer parts - amazing accomplishment considering all you have on your plate right now (no pun intended lol)!! hang in there!!

• OldWomanRuns
    Options
    Vent, Rant, and even scream if necessary Milove -- I realize it does not change our situations, but it does sometimes help with our sanity, what little bit we may have at this point. This is the first year in 37 years - yes, 37 years that my husband's whole family has not descended upon the farm for 10 days in July.... a little baby boy put the smack down on that time frame. So, feeling your pain! We love our families - Unfortunately, they (husband's family) and many many from my side of the family will be invading us for 2 weeks in September for our daughter's wedding on the farm. Good news is - we are breathing, moving, and making choices of what to eat or not everyday. To move our limbs, or not. May not be good news everyday with our choices - but we Have choices. Now, to get on with it and make better choices!! By the way, I really don't think wine flowing is a bad choice -- sometimes it is the only sane choice! ;)
  • seehe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OWR- I also find it amazing how hard it is to get in shape and how easy it is to get out of it!!! Good for you for getting your mojo back, though. I'm with you on August being my month of Do This!!!

Milove- oh my goodness! I must admit I was feeling a little overwhelmed by my days lately until I read your post. I can not imagine ever having that many peeps stay with me. I had ONE, count it, ONE sister come out and I had her get a hotel room and quoted to her a Ben Franklin line:
    pc902o10t4gc.jpg

BTW HUGE congrats on the PHD pursuit- in what area are you studying?
  • seehe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OK, so I have fallen off the wagon for awhile

x8iked6bg9kh.jpg

yvdw5qu4d5vt.jpg

This week, and in the upcoming month of August, I am committing to getting TOTALLY back on track !!!

os4ua88fp7dk.jpg
    uqxh6768uo3a.jpg

Weekly goals:
    1. Preplan, grocery shop for , and consume 3 meals a day of healthy foods
    2. Stay in the green zone calorie wise every day the rest of the week

My neck injury is acting up badly, but will add movement goal as soon as I can . Thank goodness my neuromuscular therapist comes today :)
  • Snooozie
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OWR - wine is a fruit... ergo.... a glass is a serving so a "flow" of wine would simply be a lot of fruit in a day LOLOL!!

Susan - that was my dad's favourite expression - the 3 days and both start to smell! love it!!
    As far as "life fluctuations" (my version of falling off a wagon.. I never liked wagon rides anyway LOL)... as I said to OWR, its gonna happen to us as life throws the curveballs now and then, so I don't think of it as anything more than a fluctuation from my normal ways now.. takes some of the pressure off for me I think... and now that the fluctuation is over, it's back to the norm so to speak... so just think of it as you're simply going back to your normal and voila.. no wagon needed!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your neck; I know how painful that is for you and restricting so hoping your guy can fix u up ! I have to admit I've noticed being off so much this summer that my shoulders and neck are not hurting anywhere near as much; i'm convinced its from not being hunched over my desk all day - im really going to have to focus on my terrible posture when I go back!

im loving the idea of "JUST DO IT!" as a possible theme for August for us? Any thoughts? couple of possible pics if so... but prolly some better ones out there too? hdyxvv94uv33.jpg
    ui2kvec8somo.jpg
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Does anyone follow the net carbs type thing? I may not be asking it correctly. Is it that you can subtract your fiber from carbs to get a net amount? Just wondering.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Gail! I did follow the net carbs formula for a while when I was learning to lower my carb intake.. I only logged "full" carbs tho... honestly it just became too much math to track and I found the food base quite inaccurate when it came to net carbs... I've been thinking of doing it again lately tho; my sister just got diagnosed with insulin resistance (the step below diabetes her A1C was 6.4) so her doc wants her to "drop" 40 lbs (ya like you can just empty your pockets and "drop" it.. hahaha. so have been sharing a little info with her that I've learned about carbs impacting our blood sugar levels.. and as a result it's been bringing me back to paying more attention to my own carbs..

• Snooozie
    Options
    Well, only a couple of days left in July - I am regretting doing my 'check-in" when I made my 1% for this month half way thru....I wanted the inspiration to carry me through the rest of the month to maintain it... I'm only a couple of ounces away from it still so I know i'll still be at my goal at the end of the month, but it's a bit of a lunchbag letdown that my weight won't change now LOL. So will have to remember for August to WAIT til the end!

I'm liking the 1% of body weight per month tho... it's working for me better than tracking pounds (even tho its the same thing it sounds different!!) At the end of July I will have lost 2% of my body weight, and still on track for my goal of being down 7% BW by the end of the year! :)

Admit i'm still frustrated things are moving pretty slowly; I was going back thru my check in numbers and saw stats from 2012... I was like holy cow.. 3 years on here... and still not back at original goal weight; I'm not freaking because I KNOW i'm far healthier now than I was then, but was a little kick in the butt I think I needed to rev things up a bit - think I've been "cruising" and a little complacent for too long truth be told..

Last night I did my first walk with a walking/hiking/cycling outdoor group I joined... it was a 2 hr brisk walk along the lake but about 20km west of where I am so it was a gorgeous waterfront walk and new scenery - lots of boats and a few piers.. it was a little slower pace than I normally do but by the time we got back to the parking lot my dawgs were barking hard LOL! So this morning's walk was definitely a "relaxing and restorative" stroll!!

Hope to hear how everyone else is doing!

Have a great day Hatters!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    p.s. Susan.. just saw the cartoons!! love the incognito LOL!! excellent plan for August btw!!! hope the neck is feeling better!
  • OldWomanRuns
    Options
    The Every Damn Day Just Do It --- is me to a tee! I wake up saying that and go to sleep saying it -- it is the in between hours that seem to give me trouble - hahahaha. I need to step back from myself and say - alrighty then Missy, WTH? I did just fall off the wagon I was doing so well on, I ran and jumped head first screaming the whole way - Give Me Chips!! August -- No More Chips!! Seriously - No More!! Okay - rant over. On with life.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Snoozie. Yea, I would track them as whole carbs, too but just wanted to see for a few days how it went....just keeping track in my head.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Carol I am studying public health which kind of fits in with my working with at risk students. I love the fish smell cartoon I laughed so hard. I can't get away with posting that anywhere near where I would like to lol. I agree with "Just do it" What a motto to have. It means a lot. Just do it and then see the results and moderate it if you need to.
  • Snooozie
    Options
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make the 1% this month. I had a drop down followed by a sudden, steep climb up again! Still trying to lose that little gain.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I may not make it either now Vail . a late night feed of pancakes added to an already not so perfect day yesterday (I have no idea what possessed me to make pancakes at 8pm btw... I'm not even all that fond of em!) Might as well spend the next two days gearing myself up for August's Just do it theme!