Jentacular Juramentum July (IF Challenge) Check-In!

Options

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Started Day 1 of my weekly 2-day fast. Still very full and uncomfortable by my experiment yesterday of eating more calories. I think I will continue this pattern (weekly fasts, not overeating) even after the challenge ends. I also stopped veggies yesterday. I do not know if I am zero carb because I may eat nut butters. I will have to see if they count.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Checking in.

I fasted for 16.5 hours today before going to my hot yoga class....

I've never not eaten before yoga before because I've been too afraid of "bonking", but I'm happy to say it was actually a very positive experience!

I felt extremely focused and in tune with my body the whole time, and my energy level remained constant throughout the class.

The only thing I consumed before was my BPC at 7am, 2 stock cubes and some BCAAs & electrolytes during class.

I might do the same tomorrow and see how I feel. :)
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm just checking in. My wifi at work has blocked me from accessing the mfp forum so i've had to bring my tablet to McDonald's for a lunchtime catchup.
    I managed to stick to my 5 days planned 16:8 fast this week and extended one day to 24 hours. I'm still not feeling very different, my hunger might be starting to kick in later in the morning, I generally don't break my fast until 1pm, to give me some flexibility to eat later into the evening. My weight is still dropping steadily, I was 0.7kg down at my official Monday weigh in and 'unofficially' down another 0.5 today. I've done a couple of hard days of swim training this week so I'm really impressed that I'm not struggling for energy :)
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Gave my insulin system a good long rest by completing my first 60 hour fast (with BPC, tea & broth). A month ago, I wouldn't have thought this was possible. Inspired by some folks in this group, and also Dr. Jason Fung. Got in over 3 hours of brisk walks while fasted for increased fat burning. Some hunger on the first day, some light headedness on the second afternoon & 3rd morning - salt definitely helps with that. Confirmed ketosis this morning for the first time. This has given me more than 3 weeks of weight loss without a plateau, which at this point wouldn't ordinarily happen. I'm pleased with this new tool in my bag of diet tricks.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Way to go @DrawnToScale ! Sorry I haven't checked back in here to see your post, or I would have cheered you on. I'm glad it worked out for you! Not so scary, is it?
    Also thanks @Glossbones.

Well I've had a stressful work week and getting back to even aiming for BPC in the am, water all day then one meal at supper seems have given me the munchies, so I've been over in calories. As a result the scale is up after my extended fast, but still down by 5 lbs since July 1. I am convinced however, that IF is good for the body. I am hooked. I've started another extended fast of unknown duration, now at hour 16. Not sure how long I will go this time since an old friend will be in town this weekend. I expect to do at least 48 hours, but likely won't be able to achieved my coveted 72 hr goal.

Nice to read the posts by others, good luck everyone ! I know that I will definitely keep this strategy in my bag of tricks.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    If I have to go more than 16 hrs fasting, people flee.
    Still...
    Just sayin.

I think I'm in another 3 week stall cycle. We shall see. I haven't really even lost anything thus far. Just losing and regaining the same water weight all month in rapid-cycle mode. And I'm getting headaches. Still hungry in the AM every day. My body doesn't like being hungry. Ever. At all. TOM in effect, and it is rough around here right now, let me tell ya. I haven't killed anyone yet. Yet...

Not really seeing much benefit in IFing, other than turning me into a new supervillain named Broomrider. I'm sticking with it and not weighing any more until the end of the month. We'll see. Ask me how I feel when TOM is gone. I have zero energy and mood is in the toilet and I want to eat anything I can slurp or chew. Bleh.

If I have developed anything over the past 13 months, it's greater stick-to-it-ivness. But I'm unsure at this point whether IF is a habit I will continue once the challenge is over.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I am eating mad extra calories this week. Not sure if it's the fasting or hormones. I'm definitely beyond satiated right now so I'm guessing it's emotional. On vacation for the next week and hope to be kept very busy, so hopefully my interest in food won't be so prominent. She says as, with full belly, she gets a hankering...
  • rosendale1
    rosendale1 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm still working out the kinks. For instance, I'm wasting food at home and having to throw it out as I am at work for a fair chunk of my eating hours. So, I need to plan better.
    I also have to go look up if a hard boiled egg breaks the fast...

• rosendale1
    Options
    I'm doing 18:6 during my road trip holiday . . Eating between 4 pm and 10 pm. . If holiday scale is to be believed I've lost just over 5 lbs in July so far . . Can't wait to confirm loss on my WII scale when I get home next Wednesday . .
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Nice work rosendale1. I have a trip coming up and will try to emulate.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    My last fast ended up being another 66 hr fast, but this time I did not drink BPC, just coffee with HWC, way fewer calories. But then some of the weightloss was negated by indulging in dim sum with my good friend yesterday. Way more carbs than normal, I am sure. So I have started another fast today, and will likely go for approx 48 hours, then get back into my one meal per day strategy for the rest of the work week. Might be too soon to tell whether IF will help mitigate damage after eating off plan, but I feel good about the whole experience, which is great.

I have noted no negative effects this month really. Even energy, and ability to perform regular tasks. I eat if I feel unwell. I only had the one headache that one time, and my strategy was to eat. At times I break the fast not due to hunger but desire. I picked some veggies from the garden on Saturday and just had to taste fresh garden peas (about 6 pods worth) and 2 small pickling cucumbers. I feel such control eating this way. Yup, I know this is a keeper.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder that we will have our final check in on Friday, the last of the month. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Still doing IF? Check
    Still nothing on the scale? Check
    Still crabby as hell? You know it. ;)

So, life as usual. lol

I'm so happy that so many have found a good thing in IF. I'm not one of them though. It stresses me. I do better eating a Big *kitten* Breakfast, skipping lunch because I'm too dang full, and then eating a snack around 3pm. Then supper at 6. Rinse and repeat. That's what I'll be going back to on Saturday when this challenge is over.

But that's ok. Experimenting and finding our personal sweet spot is what this thing is all about. And I'm getting maintenance practice in. I'm always determined to find a silver lining, no matter how elusive. I'll make one if I have to.

Keep Calm and IF On.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So far I have seen nothing different while doing IF. I feel the same, my weigh still fluctuates, losing inches at about the same rate. No harm, no foul.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah, it looks like I'm losing at approximately the same rate as I have been. I just feel more in control, and my mornings are easier now that I just make my BPC and go. Next month I'm going to add breakfast back in most days and see if I continue to lose.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Confession. I have not been a poster child for IF during this challenge. It seems to me that I do better when I don't have to do something. Maybe it's my stubborn inner child, who knows. I do better when I put a very loose target of what I want to achieve or test and do what falls naturally into that. It's very unscientific, lol, but it works for me.

Tbh, I also think that since my body is very slowly chipping off fat, recomping, I don't feel the urgency to fast for fat loss. Last year, during weight loss, I felt compelled to fast because it really, really worked for me, where no other method had previously worked. I have been able to stretch fasting hours a bit and many days I don't start eat until 5pm.

So there were two weeks in the middle where TOM hunger reared it's ugly head. This last week I did 2 days B2B with low calorie cycling. Roughly NET 800 kcal/day. The scale weight is the same as start of the challenge, but undies, shorts, pants that were too tight 6 weeks ago, feels a tad looser. I also started experimenting with daily creatine and inulin, so water retention because of this is unknown. Measure tape says 1 cm lost in waist, but that could be a spurious event.

I also wanna say that by looking into the mirror, I'm very close to goal. I can see the outline of abs now when flexed. I mostly do cardio so those are my baseline midsection muscles. So naturally any fat loss at this point is a painstaking endeavour.

So even though, I didn't comply with goals stated at the beginning of challenge, I still feel like this is a win for me. It has raised my consciousness about how and why I wanna keep fasting. During this month, I've re-read and found new info about IF that firmly convinces me that doing IF for health: anti-aging benefits, increased HGH, mitochondrial biogenesis, more cell repairs, increased beta cell function, improved glucose metabolism, to name a few...is a good motivator to try do 2-3 days of fasting on a regular basis even after goal body composition is reached.

I only have to find a suitable protocol/time that works for me. I'm thinking 1x/month is a good start.

TL;DR Daily fasting window works for slowly chip off fat recomp mode. Semi-fasting is still a more effective for scale movement for me. Fasting is good for not just weight loss, but also have hormonal benefits I would like to explore more.

It has been interesting hearing about all of your different experiences. It reaffirms for me that we truly are all different :)
  • toadqueen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Starting weight? 157 lbs
    Ending weight? 144 lbs
    Loss = 13 lbs!!
    I had no idea. I thought it was 5 lbs. I ate some starches and other "no-no" foods this month and the scale and edema kept going up and down throughout.

Fast Schedule 2 days per week; water fast.
    Met for the entire month

Took the following supplements : Probiotic, Potassium, Selenium, Magnesium, Vitamin D,
    Almost daily

Do you plan to exercise? No, I am not allowed to yet.
    Very minimal walking. Doctor’s appt in 2 weeks!

What you hope to achieve by participating: Including how you'll measure it: Reduction in pain/swelling, weight loss. Measured by how I feel by the end of the month and scale.
    This was achieved!

I am/was [sic] looking forward to a reduction in pain and swelling.
    I have a definite reduction in swelling. I can’t tell about the pain because I am in extreme pain today. I think it is the weather and I had to lift household items that were flooded last night when my toilet tank broke as I was sleeping – UGH. This is a process that has been going on for 4 years and I am not expecting any quick fix. I do think regular IF is helping and I plan to continue. I might cut down from 2 days to 1. I don’t get hungry or weak, but I get bored not eating.
  • rosendale1
    Options
    Starting weight? 160.3 lbs
    Ending weight? 153.3 lbs
    Loss = 7 lbs!!

I was away from home and eating out every day . . .

Fast Schedule 16:8 - 5 days per week; 20:4 - 2 days a week
    Met for the entire month

Took the following supplements Magnesium, Vitamin D,
    Almost daily

Do you plan to exercise?

My exercise was walking . .

What you hope to achieve by participating: Including how you'll measure it: Reduction in pain/swelling, weight loss. Measured by how I feel by the end of the month and scale.

My goal to achieve was weight loss and appetite control . . . both of these were achieved. I will continue low carb eating, with IF as above.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my final check in a day early because I have the day off work tomorrow and I intend to be too busy to be messing around with apps :) . My weight started at 79.4kg and was 76 on Wednesday, so a nice 3.4kg (7-8lbs) loss for the month:). I have gone down a clothes size in everything, I have kept up my karate/swimming/cycling and taken the first steps back to running :). I was second lady in my 5km swim race this weekend despite it being in the last 2 hours of an 18 hour fast B)

Once I got past the psychological barriers associated with having rigid times when I was able to eat (the first week was hard because I hate being told what to do even by myself) I found this woe incredibly easy to stick to. I think the weight loss is around the same rate as I was losing previously but it is so much easier to only need to plan 2 meals a day. I think I will be sticking with this for a while as I see no reason to go back to eating breakfast, it's never been something I've been too bothered about anyway :). I think the next step is for me to begin adding in a few 24 hr fasts each month. The hardest part of this for me is the logistics of finding a day when I don't do much exercise
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Your current weight (or clothing size, or whatever you use if you don't weigh): 176.2

*down to 170.6 almost 6 lb drop ; )

Your Fast/Feed Schedule: Include how many days per week you plan to do this 16/8-7
    * did the 16/8 IF for 5 days-then break for 2

Do you take supplements?: just a multi

Do you plan to exercise? If so, how do you expect that to impact your fasting?: yes -nothing hardcore- just starting again- ?? not sure- increased hunger maybe

only exercise was yard work - house cleaning and my 4 girls LOL

How you'll fast: Water only? Water/BPC only? water/tea/occasional bpc or bone broth if needed
    *stuck to this water with electrolytes

What you hope to achieve by participating: Including how you'll measure it be able to listen to hunger cues/ and to control evening eating problems

Any previous experience with fasting: not really

Your carb/protein/fat targets (in grams) for the feeding periods: (This should not be all that different from how you eat before starting. Remember: we aren't restricting calories here)
    5%carb19 gm/20%protein75 gm/75% fat 127 gm

i found i really like this way of eating- i feel better and so nice not to have to think about food all the time- for me anyways-- will def continue this