Food Rut- Share Your Menu???

Options
luvmyleo
luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I feel like my weekly meal rotation is starting to become monotonous. Anyone care to share your meal plan so I can get some ideas?? I tend to rotate the same meals every week and they're getting old.

This week mine looked like:

Bacon & cheddar omelettes
Taco pie w/ avacado & salad
Steaks w/ asparagus & compound butter
Cauliflower & cheddar casserole, sausage, roasted cabbage
Cheesy meatball skillet, broccoli
Cheese stuffed meatloaf & salad
Mexican chicken soup

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not a plan per se but I would like to suggest more seafood and lamb or pork if you eat them. Seafood is not usually very high fat (Holy Mackeral, there are exceptions!), but you can cook it in butter (ghee for me) and/or serve it with it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We do taco salads a lot.

I mix in salami and cheese with pickles usually as lunch.

Pizza toppings on a plate or pan, nuked or broiled

roast - beef or pork, usually with cheesy broccoli or my bacon almond green beans

scotch eggs - with sides, this is easily a meal

the knock-off olive garden sausage cream soup

rotisserie chicken, dipped in butter

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head that we've had in the last few weeks.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Ruts are a good thing as long as they are going to where you plan to arrive. If I get into a conversation out front of the Huddle House there have been times when my water, coffee, cream, eggs and bacon beat me to my table. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My menu is WAY boring.

~250g of 75/25 ground beef for breakfast
    Same for lunch
    Same for dinner... sometimes a steak instead
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss How do you make your scotch eggs? I have been wanting to try it.

This week:
    M- grilled pork & homemade coleslaw (dsg made with mayo, hwc, vinegar, stevia)
    T- grilled steak, grilled zucchini with EVOO, and blueberries
    W- ? leftovers

That's as far as I have planned. As you can see, we are not very exciting either.

• Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg(s) & either a piece of bacon or a piece of cheese for breakfast
    Spinach and kale salad with red onions, jalapenos, cucumbers, tomatoes topped with vinegar for lunch
    Zucchini pasta mixed with carrots, celery, green peppers, red onions, cold boiled shimp all tossed together with Italian dressing or pesto for dinner
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Oven cooked bacon.
    Cheesy bacon and cauliflower bake.
    Beef stroganoff.
    Steak and salad.
    Spicy chilli beef with mashed avocado and sour cream.
    Crispy skin baked chicken thighs and broccoli.
    Sausages and eggs.

Leftovers of these for lunch/breakfast.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    This was tonight's dinner - crispy skinned mackerel with asparagus mushrooms and an egg.

qka6mplsg2qi.jpg

I'd never cooked fresh mackerel before, but it was on sale at the supermarket... This is how I come up with many of my meals during the week, and it keeps me from relying on the same recipes day in and day out.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to do that all the time. Been low carb over a year. I finally got the idea to use Pinterest to menu plan. I save all recipes to a main board, but then every quarter (or more often if I feel like it) I make a new board and go through all the recipes looking for new things to make/seasonal foods. I love it. It's very motivational for me and I am a very visual person. I take my phone shopping (used to do it with my kindle tho) and load up the board and just shop from that! I like it much better than a list. If you want to see mine (current) I'll grab the link.

http://pinterest.com/JessTRoberts/2015-summer-groceries-booyah/

• MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is usually Bacon - I par cook it on the weekend so just a bit of time in the microwave make it perfect, and I can eat it in the car. Eggs if I have the time but I'm usually in a rush.

Lunch is usually a no-greens salad - which is a couple of cherry tomatoes, olives, a cheese and a meat - like steak w/mozzarella, or ham w/blue cheese, or chicken w/cheddar - just depends on the leftovers. Otherwise it's egg salad, tuna salad, or chicken salad.

Dinner is usually chicken or steak with a lower carb vegetable.

I use pinterest quite a bit to find recipes. For the dinners, I batch cook every other weekend, then vacuum seal and freeze - each night I just take out what I want to have for dinner the next night and I'm good to go. I just leave the meats slightly undercooked so that when I microwave it doesn't kill the food. I do trays of meatballs in different combinations like buffalo blue cheese, bacon cheddar, etc. and just freeze in portions - same with burgers - If I fire up the grill, I do a dozen burgers, or several steaks - then freeze in portions.

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    hmmm I eat pretty simply, but I am ok with it.

Eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese, butter, coleslaw mix, coconut oil, steak, ground beef, chicken, broccoli, green olives, dill pickles, HWC, asparagus, romaine lettuce and baby spring mix....Franks hot sauce, Cholula hot sauce...the occasional tomato or slice of red onion.....mix and match for meals.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ne69iw4qu5l1.jpg

And some stir fry

smg0f4t9l3li.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Tonight we had bacon cheeseburger pie (casserole), with green and yellow beans and also mashed taters for the other 5 humans who live in my house (well, 4 of them anyway, my youngest skipped the potatoes and doubled up on the beans).

I'll be honest though, when the family went away for a week and I was home alone, I literally ate eggs, bacon, steak and 80/20 ground beef supplemented with plenty of coffee and hwc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

This week:
    W- ? leftovers

That's as far as I have planned. As you can see, we are not very exciting either.

I used a variation of the I Breathe I'm Hungry recipe for them. I tried Keto Caveman, but I didn't like the bacon wrapping. the IBIH recipe just uses hard boiled eggs (my fiance does not like a runny yolk EVER, so I cook them to death like normal hard boiled eggs, instead of her softer method), then wrap those in sausage (my favorite blend is too salty for my fiance, so I cut it 2:1 with ground pork and just added more seasoning - just no more salt), roll them in egg wash, then the recipe calls for seasoned blend of parmesan, almond flour, and seasonings - but I still don't have almond flour, so I used a teeny bit of panko I had (added less than 1 gram of carb per egg) and upped the parmesan, then bake until crispy....
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of egg and breakfast meat. Depends on what I'm in the mood for. I hate eating the same thing every day. For lunch I eat either baked chicken thigh or lunchmeat and cheese rollups with deviled eggs or leftovers. And dinner is always different. I find things on pintrest all the time and other websites. Some of the recipes I have made are thhis banging White Castle Hamburger Pie, Caremelized onion and bacon smotherd pork chops, slow cooker beef and bell peppers, mock lasagna, etc. Or I just pick a meat, usually chicken or ground beef, and add vegetables.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This week:
    W- ? leftovers

I used a variation of the I Breathe I'm Hungry recipe for them. I tried Keto Caveman, but I didn't like the bacon wrapping. the IBIH recipe just uses hard boiled eggs (my fiance does not like a runny yolk EVER, so I cook them to death like normal hard boiled eggs, instead of her softer method), then wrap those in sausage (my favorite blend is too salty for my fiance, so I cut it 2:1 with ground pork and just added more seasoning - just no more salt), roll them in egg wash, then the recipe calls for seasoned blend of parmesan, almond flour, and seasonings - but I still don't have almond flour, so I used a teeny bit of panko I had (added less than 1 gram of carb per egg) and upped the parmesan, then bake until crispy....

Thank you!

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    ne69iw4qu5l1.jpg

And some stir fry

smg0f4t9l3li.jpg

Yum!!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This week:
    W- ? leftovers

We did the recipe from Well Fed. They turned out awesome. Same concept as IBIH pretty much
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Salmon Mousse (a variation of the Timbale I posted on the August food challenge)

INGREDIENTS
    240g (8½oz) smoked salmon trimmings or sliced salmon
    50g (2oz) butter, softened
    2 tbsps dill
    2 tbsps parsley
    50g (2oz) cream cheese
    ½ lemon, plus 4 slices for decoration
    Salt and pepper
    40g (1½oz) watercress leaves for garnish
    METHOD
    • Finely chop the smoked salmon into small dice and add to a bowl.
    • Add the butter, herbs, cream cheese and juice and rind of half a lemon.
    • Mix everything thoroughly and season lightly with salt and pepper. If you want to do this stage ahead of time, cover the mixture with clingwrap and place it in the fridge until needed.
    • When ready to use, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come up to room temperature for 10-15 minutes, as you don’t want to serve it too firm. Likewise, if the mixture is too soft when you are making it, firm it up in the fridge for 15 minutes to achieve the right consistency.
    • Spoon some of the mixture into the ring and, using the back of a spoon, flatten it down so it moulds well into the ring.
    • Hold the mixture down with a spoon and pull away the mould to leave a pretty disc of the Salmon. Finish with a slice of lemon to serve and repeat with the other four dishes.
    • When ready to serve, place a few watercress as dress.
    7jfq7uwqfkt4.jpg
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Routine helps me from straying too far off the plan, but the meal ideas might help break your rut.

My go-to lunch is chicken salad made with avocado and coconut oil rather than mayo, and a side of frozen veggies. I make up a weeks worth and freeze them so they're ready to go. If I get sick of chicken I'll make a roast beef plate instead.

For breakfast I try to eat meatballs or patties with some ground beef and some ground offal. (Good way to sneak liver into the day.). Served with gravy if I have it, or olives, as well as coconut oil and some veggies.

Dinner varies more:
    steak with mushrooms
    salmon with dill caper sauce (still haven't perfected the sauce though, so don't ask for my recipe!).
    Grilled sausages/ brats
    Ahi tuna

On the weekends I batch cook, jerky for the week, a pot roast or chicken (portion and freeze once cooked for easy lunch prep), coconut milk yogurt or kefir if I'm out, cut and prep veggies, etc