The scale

So, many people say to not weigh yourself often, that it's too much of an obsession. This spring I decided to stop. I ate clean, continued hard workouts. I was at the doctors office the beginning of July and was shockingly up 7lbs! I am back to weighing daily. It keeps me motivated and focused. I am back down by 7lbs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• jacau
    jacau Posts: 139 Member
    Question is, how were your clothes fitting during the time without scales? Did your muscles grow while fat reduced, and that was the weight you gained?

I do weigh myself plus measure different body parts (belly, hips, chest, arms) once a week to keep track of muscle and fat. I am not necessarily aiming to loose weight as such. I'd already be happy to reduce my body fat which unfortunately hovers around 29-30% right now. Healthy weight otherwise, if towards the upper limit.

I had a time where I stepped on the scales only, every day. Kept me thinking about food all day long, which in turn kept me hungry all the time ;) Now that I do the once per week thing, I still keep track of where I am but obsess less and in return eat less. For me, personally, that works better.
  • jlowejharrinjann
    jlowejharrinjann Posts: 14 Member
    I've been reading the Body Fat Solution, which I think is excellent. It talks about the national weight loss registry for people who kept 30 or more lbs off for a year or more. By far, the majority of those people weigh themselves weekly or more. Granted, that's correlation not proven causation. But, it regular weigh ins can obviously be a part of long term maintaining.

I also agree on the body comp thought of course. I actually just ordered a scale that measures body fat from Amazon. Hasn't arrived yet, but it has good reviews and cost less than $35! I'm hopefull.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    I used to weigh-in every day, but I got to the point where the number I saw on the scale dictated my mood for the day. Now I do it once a week or so.
    As to the body fat measuring scales. Good luck with yours, mine ( a high-end pricey Tanita body fat monitor ) is more or less useless. The results vary widely depending on how hydrated I am. As an example: last Saturday - 57 water % so it showed 65 kg, 22.8% BF and 48 muscle mass. Today ( Wednesday ) it was 64.8 kg but only 53% water so I got 28% BF and 45.7 muscle mass.
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    I have one of those scales from weight watchers and every day is different due to hydration certain supplements can cause water retention as well as sodium intake but it can give you and average. Nothing better than what your seeing in the mirror tho. I weigh every day due more to habit than anything else. I heard they are not always accurate give or take 3 to 5% on body fat?
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    I weigh in (almost) every day but I use the Libra app so I can check the overall trend instead of a random number that changes every day. It really helped me!
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    I weigh in about once a week. I noticed that when I stop completely I tend to gain weight, but if I check every week or so it lets me stay focused on my goals.

Also, I try to weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything. This keeps it more or less consistent (less fluctuations) and it's the lowest weight I will have throughout the day so it's a mood booster.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    irnz wrote: »
    I weigh in about once a week. I noticed that when I stop completely I tend to gain weight, but if I check every week or so it lets me stay focused on my goals.

Also, I try to weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything. This keeps it more or less consistent (less fluctuations) and it's the lowest weight I will have throughout the day so it's a mood booster.

Totally agree with this! Women especially fluctuate a few lbs just in one day. So this way is most accurate and consistent.
  • shelliepullen
    shelliepullen Posts: 4 Member
    I am glad I'm not the only one. Thanks all!
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    I measure inches and weigh. I'm much more focused on measuring, though. I've been up in weight and down in inches.
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    I do both once a week and first thing in the morning (Sundays).
  • hopetemi762
    hopetemi762 Posts: 5 Member
    I try not to weigh in too much because I start feeling discouraged when I gain a few pounds. So I prefer to measure inches and weigh in evey second week.
  • NancyB422
    NancyB422 Posts: 7 Member
    I go through phases where I weigh in once a week (first thing AM!) but like someone else said it starts to dictate my mood for the day. And I start analyzing what went wrong if I gain.
    I'm thinking I might start once a week but also take measurements.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    I'm maintaining and weigh in once a week, but when I'm trying to lose (like right now the few pounds from holidays) I weigh in almost every day...
  • lddumaual
    lddumaual Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    I weigh in the morning, everyday. I admit to my scale obsession. It does upset me when I go down 2 lbs, and the next day I am up 2. However, I am fully aware that this is the natural fluctuation of a woman's body. I guess the main benefit for me would be able to see how my calorie intake might have an effect on my weight. For example, when I eat 1000 calories one day, the scale goes down the next morning. When I eat 1600, the scale goes up. So, it motivates me to keep my calories down throughout the day. It's all a head-game with me...at least I'm aware of my own tactics...lol
  • hallene
    hallene Posts: 79 Member
    I weigh a couple of times a week. I use the Aria Fitbit scale to spot check my progress. When I stay away from the scale and food journal I tend to go up in weight. It does change my mood when I see a gain first thing in the morning. Information is power - the power to change you all :)
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    I weigh & measure in officially every week - don't record in between if I sneak a peak. I do at same time every week before breakfast. I stopped and gained 6kg. Plan to continue once a week and measure also as felt I was more in control
  • Meluuu
    Meluuu Posts: 14 Member
    I've started weighing everyday for the past 2 weeks to see those daily fluctuations. I do want to focus on the trend. I used to weigh once a week. I do plan to do this until I get to a place I'm more comfortable with my weight to go back to once a week.

My scale measures Body Fat but it fluctuates up to 3% from day to day and I'm always weighing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before drinking/eating, so I'm only tracking it to have an idea. I would like to go down from about 28% I'm now to something close to 20%.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Meluuu wrote: »
    My scale measures Body Fat but it fluctuates up to 3% from day to day and I'm always weighing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before drinking/eating, so I'm only tracking it to have an idea. I would like to go down from about 28% I'm now to something close to 20%.

I was the most happy with my figure when I was at 20% body fat. Don't know what my body fat
    is now,but quick look in the mirror tells me it ain't no 20% haha!
    But I'm working on it!!
  • Meluuu
    Meluuu Posts: 14 Member
    I was the most happy with my figure when I was at 20% body fat. Don't know what my body fat
    is now,but quick look in the mirror tells me it ain't no 20% haha!
    But I'm working on it!!

We'll keep working then, I hope to get there...
  • AnointedZ
    AnointedZ Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh on occasion and have found that a picture speaks volumes lol I have begun a picture journal to see where I have begun and my journey to where I'm going. It serves as a great motivator as well to visually see the progress one makes. I wish I would have taken more pictures when I began my journey and kept those not so pleasant shots.