surgery and keto

Options
azcowgirrlup
azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
Ok, I am having surgery on the 11th. (unless something messes up the scheduling ...again) I am concerned about so many things involved in the surgery and one of them is ketosis. Will the dextrose IV kick me out of ketosis? If its only given to me for one day, will I get the keto flu going back into ketosis? I have never had a "cheat day" so I am wondering if this will just be like that and I can go right back into ketosis. TIA

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the surgery! No idea about the IV, but if it were me, I'd knock myself out of ketosis before the surgery just to ensure there's no reactive hypoglycemia.

And, yes, you'll be able to go back into ketosis after a couple days. No need to worry about the keto flu as long as you keep your sodium intake relatively high for a few days.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Good luck with the surgery! No idea about the IV, but if it were me, I'd knock myself out of ketosis before the surgery just to ensure there's no reactive hypoglycemia.

And, yes, you'll be able to go back into ketosis after a couple days. No need to worry about the keto flu as long as you keep your sodium intake relatively high for a few days.

Wow, ok, that is something I hadn't thought of.....Thank you!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Agree. I'm having surgery the 25th. I think I'm just going to just take a break for as long as I need to recover. I know I'll be in hospital at least two days. Good question tho.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Agree. I'm having surgery the 25th. I think I'm just going to just take a break for as long as I need to recover. I know I'll be in hospital at least two days. Good question tho.

Me, too. It's all scary enough without worrying about being keto. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and recovery.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

Me, too. It's all scary enough without worrying about being keto. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and recovery.

Back atcha.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think you can request a diabetic diet, or whatever. Or gluten free. Most hospitals have a meal type check box when you check in for surgery. If they have a dietician, you might just explain it. And yeah, you might have to knock yourself out to not react to the drip, but surely diabetics and folks who can't handle sugar have surgery, right??

While not for right now, it would be interesting to do some research on it... Surely there is a variant to the drip that could be requested. Hmm...back burnering this thought for when I have some time to research it...

Good luck to all of y'all facing some tough steps ahead. Surgery is terrifying to me.... I wish y'all an easy time and quick recoveries.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It depends on the length & type of surgery. I had my gall bladder removed in March. I was NPO (nothing to eat/drink by mouth) for several hours before surgery. I found my BS returned to normal immediately after surgery. It was a relatively short surgery, though. The longer you are in surgery plus the more involved the surgery (inflammation) can be a factor.

As far as eating, they ordered a general diet for me and I just ordered low carb food choices off the menu.

Good luck!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I'm more concerned about after surgery. They have to crack my chest to get my thyroid it's so large, so it's gonna be a loooong recovery and if it's anything like my shoulder surgery a few years ago I was out of it for the first few weeks, and I expect this to be much worse. I mean I have a huge almost month long gap there due to pain meds. So I'm also kinda worried as to what my dear husband (who will be able to take time off work to care for me) will make, even tho he *knows* what low carb is he's kinda clueless as to real carb counts and recipes. But... I've just decided not to stress about it. Hopefully I won't gain but I don't expect to lose during the 6-8 weeks.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You are probably going to notice an increase in your blood sugars as your body fights the natural inflammation process that comes along with cutting into the body, inflammation, and healing. So...normally, abnormal. ;)

Just eat on plan and let your body heal.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even care about my diet if I were having a major surgery. My focus would be on recovery. I've had to put aside a lot to have surgeries in the last few years and food would honestly be the least of my worries. If I had to go high carb for a day (or few) so be it. You've got the rest of your life to worry about it.

I had a surgery when my daughter was 3 months old and she couldn't stay with me the entire time, I felt devastated as she had to have some formula and that I had totally ruined breastfeeding. But we got back to it just fine and carried on for many many more months. Keto can be carried on too :-). A break doesn't mean a ruined effort.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I know when I had surgery last year, I was given a high protein diet and they supplemented it with a clear liquid protein. Sometimes, they gave me Ensure. They kept thinking I was diabetic and shot me with insulin I think until I made them stop.

My recovery was very high protein for the most part in the beginning to promote cell repair and healing. Then I started eating whatever I felt like.

I'm with @minties82 on this. Focus on healing and feeling good and get on track when you feel ready. It took about 6 months for me but I had major surgery and broken bones following a car accident.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I know when I had surgery last year, I was given a high protein diet and they supplemented it with a clear liquid protein. Sometimes, they gave me Ensure. They kept thinking I was diabetic and shot me with insulin I think until I made them stop.

My recovery was very high protein for the most part in the beginning to promote cell repair and healing. Then I started eating whatever I felt like.

I'm with @minties82 on this. Focus on healing and feeling good and get on track when you feel ready. It took about 6 months for me but I had major surgery and broken bones following a car accident.

Whoa! Why were they shooting you with insulin??? @toadqueen
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I was diabetic from 2000-2009 and used insulin from about 2004-2009. I am not sure that they were shooting me with insulin, the nurses were shooting my belly before every meal and kept saying I was diabetic when I complained. I fought them and within a few days they stopped. I was on a lot of pain killers and just came out of a coma, so it took a bit for me to take some control back.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I was diabetic from 2000-2009 and used insulin from about 2004-2009. I am not sure that they were shooting me with insulin, the nurses were shooting my belly before every meal and kept saying I was diabetic when I complained. I fought them and within a few days they stopped. I was on a lot of pain killers and just came out of a coma, so it took a bit for me to take some control back.

Ugh. I'd be soooo mad!!!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Bloody hell.... that is actually horrifying. O_O
  • toadqueen
    Options
    They saved my life and I think they meant well. I think someone gave them my old medical history from when I was diabetic or maybe my BG was elevated from the trauma. It is scary how the medical profession "practices" and "operates" in many cases. I'm hoping this WOE and becoming more physically active will kick my thyroid and blood pressure in gear and I can get off all meds.

@OP - you are going to be fine. Mine was very extraordinary circumstances. You know your surgeon and the attending physicians and they will give you the care and recovery you need.