Fitbit Charge HR

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it? Does it sync easily with MFP? I GOT RID OF MY Jawbone UP after months of trying to get it to sync with no luck.

Replies

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a charge without the HR and it syncs really well with MFP so I don´t see why the Charge HR wouldn´t.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have one, like it, and no problems with syncing at all.
  • boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i had one but i kept getting a rash on my wrist from it -- and yes, i took it off and cleaned it,etc. i ended up returning it. for years, i used the fitbit one -- and honestly, when i compared the steps, for me, the one was more accurate. but YMMV. hope it works out better for you.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a Charge HR. It syncs great with MFP. The only think I don't like is the adjustment for calories.. I use the Fitbit adjustment and only eat back half of that If I am going to eat anything back. I have only once has trouble with the sync, but that was from the Fitbit side

I do hear that the one is more accurate though. You have to make sure you put in your stride, and wear it on your non-dominant wrist, but set it to dominant. You will get a pretty accurate reading for steps then. But I would do a little more research if I were you. People really seem to like the Garmin....

We also have the Aria scale....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've got the Charge HR and have found it to be very accurate. Make sure to turn negative adjustments on, so that it can adjust both up and down. It's also a good idea to join the Fitbit group here on MFP, at least for a while, until you get settled in to your Fitbit. They're great for helping get the initial kinks worked out.
    boohooboo wrote: »
    i had one but i kept getting a rash on my wrist from it -- and yes, i took it off and cleaned it,etc. i ended up returning it. for years, i used the fitbit one -- and honestly, when i compared the steps, for me, the one was more accurate. but YMMV. hope it works out better for you.

Rash as in skin breaking out, or "rash" as in rubbing irritation? If the latter, then you might have had it on wrong. It's supposed to be fairly loose and able to move freely. If it's too tight, the silicone will rub too much and cause problems. I run into this a little bit, since I'm kind of between two of the notches (one's too loose, but the next tighter is a hair too tight and more likely to cause rubbing irritation). It's not supposed to be on as tight as a watch is usually tightened.
  • minties82
    Options
    I have to wear mine tightly, but don't get a rash. I have a massive imprint of a fitbit on my arm however!
  • boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Rash as in skin breaking out, or "rash" as in rubbing irritation? If the latter, then you might have had it on wrong. It's supposed to be fairly loose and able to move freely. If it's too tight, the silicone will rub too much and cause problems. I run into this a little bit, since I'm kind of between two of the notches (one's too loose, but the next tighter is a hair too tight and more likely to cause rubbing irritation). It's not supposed to be on as tight as a watch is usually tightened.[/quote]

A combo of both. I never had it on tightly, but it would rub my skin and irritate it. There were loads of complaints about the Charge (Note: Pre: HR) about this happening. It was a known problem, and hence my money was returned. http://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2015/04/27/fitbit-still-plagued-with-skin-irritation-complaints/ They were nice about it. Unfortunately, now, I am without any sort of product, which bums me out. I found it very motivational.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have one and it syncs fine with MFP, but I did not like my calories being changed because of the steps I took, so I revoked permission
  • DietPrada
    Options
    I managed to pick up a Charge HR for $135 brand new in Plum (didn't want a black one). I really liked the form factor of the Jawbone UP, so nice and slim and understated, but after months of trying everything to get it to work with MFP I gave up and sold it on ebay. The Charge is a little bulky, but I think I'll get used to it. I haven't set it up yet, but hopefully it doesn't give me the headaches the Jawbone did. Ever on the quest for the perfect doodad. :)
  • minties82
    Options
    They are pretty easy to set up, hope you enjoy it! I have the same colour. I've had it for just over a week and am used to how it feels and looks now, from going to having never worn a watch or wrist jewellery in my life it was kinda weird at first. I kept feeling self conscious of it and being super careful not to bump it. Now I just go about my day normally, but I will wear long sleeves when doing heavy gardening. Yours was cheap! They are about $200 in New Zealand.

The only very tiny issue I have had is that it doesn't register my steps very well while pushing a stroller. But I log the walk as an activity and it corrects the step amount. I expected this and so I don't mind.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My father, who is an MRT with our local VFD, is convinced the heart rate on my Charge HR is way off. It showed his heart rate at ~90bpm when his resting (he knows from practicing taking it) is closer to 70. I'm hoping to find some information on the HR's bpm accuracy and how exactly the LED-capillary reading happens.

As for me, it tells me if my heart rate is elevated, which is about as detailed as I need it to be. I like the app, I LOVE the silent alarm, and I don't have too much trouble with irritation (I just adjust it and move it up or down my arm if it starts to bother me).
  • glossbones
    Options
    Oh I meant to mention that I selectively track my progress in either MFP or the fitbit app. Food, exercise, and check-ins get tracked in MFP (I haven't figured out how to create a new exercise in Fitbit's app), water and all the rest are via Fitbit. I usually have to close both apps and re-open them to get them to see the changes I made in the other.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I love it. It's light weight, I forget that I have it on most of the time. I like that it syncs up with MFP with relative ease. It has a long battery life and a short charge time. I find that if I wipe it down with a wash cloth and occasionally go without it at night then I avoid the skin irritation issues.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have it also and love it. I've been a fitbitter for 3 years, I bought the Charge HR the day it came out. I have no problems with syncing to MFP, but on a sidenote, I do find that the calorie estimate for food intake based on goals is more accurate on fitbit. So I eat based off that.
  • minties82
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    My father, who is an MRT with our local VFD, is convinced the heart rate on my Charge HR is way off. It showed his heart rate at ~90bpm when his resting (he knows from practicing taking it) is closer to 70. I'm hoping to find some information on the HR's bpm accuracy and how exactly the LED-capillary reading happens.

As for me, it tells me if my heart rate is elevated, which is about as detailed as I need it to be. I like the app, I LOVE the silent alarm, and I don't have too much trouble with irritation (I just adjust it and move it up or down my arm if it starts to bother me).

My resting heartrate varies a lot, from 47 to 65. The charge HR is always accurate for me when I take a manual reading, has he or you tried that?
  • DietPrada
    Options
    I set it up yesterday, and am now wearing it. It did sync with MFP with no dramas and it's readings seem accurate. I was tracking my heart rate before with the finger thing on my phone and the charge seems to be reading at about the same. I do like how it gets how many calories you've eaten from MFP and compares it with how many you've burned. I also like the little touch of making the LED reading purple to match the band. I've ordered some little screen protectors as I've read they scratch easily, and I've put scotch tape over it for now. I'm not sure it's a necessary item, I don't actually "work out" but it'll definitely motivate me to move more.
  • glossbones
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    The charge HR is always accurate for me when I take a manual reading, has he or you tried that?

We did, he had trouble locating my pulse on my wrist but got a reading 15 below the fitbit. His theory is my muscles are too dense, but if it's capillary-based that shouldn't matter.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I own the Surge, which I believe has the same HR sensors as the ChargeHR. Have never had any issues with bad heart rate readings (about 57bpm when resting, and it tracks well with a chest strap when exercising). It does tend to get a little bit of "lag" when doing things like Insanity. The heart rate may keep reading at what it was previously when you're doing lots of jumping, but once you get into a good rhythm or take a break, it catches up quickly.

I have had some skin irritation on the outside of my wrist, and have to wear the watch very tight during workouts to prevent this--if it starts sliding around my sweaty arm, it tends to get more irritated. Plus, the thing is HEAVY, so having it flopping around is annoying. I just put a bandage over the sore spot for a week or so until it healed up and was good to go. Never stopped wearing the watch.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had the Force. It was recalled because of the skin problems and I just recently sent it back to get a Charge non HR. That was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything on it. I'm starting to get annoyed....

That being said, when I used the Force one, I loved it. It synced very well and compared to the pedometer on my phone, seemed accurate. I was doing anything I could to get my 10k steps per day too LOL. Hubby thought I was crazy!
  • glossbones
    Options
    I haven't felt that compelled to get to 10,000 steps, but for the sake of my stiff workout muscles I should probably make a loop around the workplace once an hour anyway...