Workout Check-in: Heavy Metal Edition (aka August)

Options
DawnEmbers
DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
Yeah, I don't know either but umm, here is the post for August. I'm not the pun type so this is what you all get. :wink: Let's lift some weights.

Yesterday's gym session:

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 150 - Kept the weight from last time but attempted to film it with my phone using a tall step. Interesting to watch though I still don't get quite why the trainers at this gym don't like the knees going over the toes and mine don't go that far over from what I could see on my phone.

bench 3x5 @ 95 - didn't increase and barely make these, I might do a small de-load next time.

p-row 3x5 @ 5 - same as last time as well, considering switching to work on bent over row for a bit instead but not sure yet.

back extension 3x8 with 25 plate

This morning I jogged 2.5 miles, then took a nap.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ^^ i like that. not that i have any lifts to report.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I may have been putting off posting yesterday's workout because I didn't want to have to think up a name for the topic :p

Squat - 3x5 at 135 lbs. I took a video since the weight room was empty, and I wasn't too happy with my depth. I might JUST be hitting parallel. It was hard to tell with the angle as the phone was propped up on the floor. I think I am going to take a major deload and really work on getting as deep as I can.

OHP - 3x5 at 50 lbs. Fine.

DL - 1x5 at 155 lbs - fine.

Rows - light day - 3x5 at 65 lbs. fine
    Pull ups - 1x2, 1x1. So close to getting the second rep on the second set, but couldn't quite do it.
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 55
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 40
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 50. These don't seem to be getting any easier, and I wish they would!
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I posted my workout yesterday in the July thread not even realizing that it was August. Duh!
    @DawnEmbers I was under the impression that keeping knees behind the toes is a myth. In Starting Strength, Rippetoe says, "For the back squat, when the bar is just below the spine of the scapula, the back will be at a much more horizontal angle, and the knees will be at a point just in front of the toes (depending on your anthropometry), so that the hip angle will be more closed and the knee angle more open." Maybe I am wrong, but I think that as long as you are not putting your weight on your toes that you are fine with knees going past your toes??
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I tried to wait for someone else to post but it didn't work. lol

@dennie24 - Yeah, most of the things I've seen online show that over the toes is fine. In fact, the image often posted from Starting Strength shows with the knees going over the foot. For some reason, the trainers at my gym seem to think it's not supposed to go that way though. The guy didn't explain much but did say to stay back so they didn't go over the toes. The female only saw me do some body weight ones. She said it puts more pressure on the knees. Though, considering I have two bad knees, I find it a bit odd that they have never bothered me while doing squats (except one leg variety on a step, that didn't last long). So, I videotaped myself so I could maybe see if I'm going really far or something. I can feel the occasional rep when I have a bit of "butt wink" but the knees thing is hard to tell except if I feel myself lean too far forward. Most of the time it seems fine, to me, though. And I figure, at least my knees aren't caving inward. *shrugs*
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    One weeks rest and a second unplanned week off due to illness and I'm back baby!!

Major deload

Squat 5x5x115lbs
    Bench 5x5x70lbs
    Row 5x5x85lbs

Superset of legs and butt 3x8
    Bulgarian split squat 10kg Dumbbells
    Front squat 25kgs
    Hip thruster 40kg
    Romanian deadlift 40kg

Ouch. Much pain tomorrow
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    KNow what happens when I don't have a pen and forget to grab a pencil? I log my workout on my phone, email it to me and only have to copy paste here. Profit! lol (twiddling with the phone between each sets kinda sucks, tho)

Shred w-u
    High Bar squat 45x5/10/8 - this was super high bar. As in, over that bump on my neck high. I watched a few videos about elbow pain during squats and decided to just give a few things a try. 1- wrapped my thumb around. 2- squeezed my traps a lot harder (it was a tiny bit painful on my shoulder but nothing major) and lo and behold! I squatted a bit more upright and my elbows did NOT bother me one bit! So it's something to play with once I get back in the game.

Hack/donkey squat 45x10 (this is similar to a hack squat machine, but it's more of a leg press inverted - feet are down and your back is pressed into a chair-like pad. I can't find pics online to figure out what it's called)
    Superset w/ calf raises 90x8
    135x6/12
    180x5/12
    205x3/10 x 4
    215x6/13

Seated leg curls
    60x10
    75x15
    90x12
    90x10

Ss 1 leg rdl + toy soldier

Seated leg ext
    45x15
    60x12
    60x13

Ss bw Walking lunges
    10/side

(this was the superset from the torture chambers of hell!)

Seated calf raise
    45x15
    70x12
    80x12
    85x12
    Plank (alt set with glute bridges)
    75s
    90s

It was um... Fun?
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Newb here - you guys are killing it! Yesterday was my 2nd day doing Stronglifts in the gym rather than trying to use my cable machine at home.

Squat 5x5 @ 90lb (Smith machine - not counting any bar weight)
    Overhead Press 3x5 @ 45lb but it was too light so switched to 55 for another 2x5 and 1x4.
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 95lb - probably a tad too light here as well - I was a little scared to overdue anything on my first go.
    Assisted pull-ups set at 100 (so like 60-65lbs left over) - 4.5 (yeah, I was beat at the end there)

Last Thursday (not August, but thought I would include here anyway)
    Squat 5x5 (on a sled - squat racks were in use) @ 180 lb
    Bench 5x5 @ 65lb
    Barbell Row 5x5 @ 75lb
    Assisted pull-ups set at 100 (so like 60-65lbs left over) - 3x8 - just to see if I could
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So my first program lifting session in a couple of weeks.
    Deadlift 5 day
    145 lbs x 5, 165 lbs x 5, `85 lbs x 6
    5x8 sumo deadlifts 150 lbs my grip started failing so I had to switch to mixed and that makes sumo deadlifts feel really funny to me.
    front squat 45, 50, 55, 60 , 65 lbs emotm x5
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. How does this thread work?

Here's what I lifted on Saturday.
    Squat: 110lbs 5x5 (This is an increase after several weeks stalled. Finally feel like my form is improving! Mostly stayed with weight on my heels and didn't do the "stripper" move.)
    Bench: 95lbs 5x5
    Row: 75lbs 5x5 (I have been doing cable rows because when the weight gets heavy I feel like I'm not getting the full range of motion doing bent over.)
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Diggin the heavy metal title! *does air guitar*

Workout A today:

Squat: 85lbs 5x5
    Bench: 55lbs 5x5 (Actually completed it today and felt like I didn't struggle. Ready to move up next time.)
    Row: 75lbs 1x5 then decreased down to 65lbs 5x5. (I started doing bent over barbell rows instead of the pendlay row, I felt my form was much better. I decreased weight to just make sure I got the new form on point.)
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First workout of August - yay!

Workout A:

Squats, 5x5@100 lbs. Finally moved back up into triple digits!

Bench, 5x5@65 lbs. These were tough, barely got the last rep up. I logged it as a 4 in the app so it would cause me to repeat.

Rows, 5x5@65 lbs. Felt ok, will try 70 lbs next time.

Romanian Deadlifts, 3x10@65 lbs for accessory.

45 minutes on the elliptical to finish up.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did my very first Workout A today and it felt pretty good, although I'm not confident in my form on the rows. Definitely need to read up and watch some videos to work on those. Might need to go down in weight on them, too, until my form feels right. 65 felt like a lot.

Workout A:
    Squats - 5x5 @ 45 lbs Woot! Feel the burn of the bar.
    Bench - 5x5 @ 45 lbs More bar burn!
    P Rows - 5x5 @ 65 lbs Pretty sure these weren't the high-quality rows Mehdi had in mind.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So great to see new folks here!! Welcome!

A week and half break - wow what a difference does it make on strength AND nutrition...have been off the wagon a few weeks and I can tell the difference...

Squat: Stayed at 95# again for 5x5 (form is a little better but still not great- wondering if I should deload a bit more...maybe add back in some single leg work too...)
    OHP: stayed at 45# again but added in a few extra reps as a means to move forward. (Felt really pretty good hence the few extra reps)
    DL: 140# (moved up here though tried for & failed 145, my body weight, even after using some chalk - went to 140 and used an inverted grip and did it no problem. Could have done the 145 or more now that I inverted my grip. I guess this happens at body weight?

Have a great week all!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi old friends and new faces! I'm baaaaack (to posting my workouts).

Today was squats. 65x10x10. Talk about cardio. Still trying to figure out my weights for GVT. I originally intended to follow the program for 6 weeks, but now think I'm going to follow it for 8. I can use the first 2 weeks to figure out what weights to use in order to complete all of the reps but struggle a bit.

Lots of walking going on while pushing the stroller. Been hitting at least 13,000 steps daily. Running hasn't happened in 2 weeks. Hoping to get a run in over the weekend.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I did my very first Workout A today and it felt pretty good, although I'm not confident in my form on the rows. Definitely need to read up and watch some videos to work on those. Might need to go down in weight on them, too, until my form feels right. 65 felt like a lot.

Workout A:
    Squats - 5x5 @ 45 lbs Woot! Feel the burn of the bar.
    Bench - 5x5 @ 45 lbs More bar burn!
    P Rows - 5x5 @ 65 lbs Pretty sure these weren't the high-quality rows Mehdi had in mind.

I couldn't get P rows down. Even stacking plates under to raise the bar up, it just wasn't working and my form was suffering. I switched to bent over barbell rows - I am not struggling with form. Once I up my weight to get the bar at proper height I may go back to P rows.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get P rows down. Even stacking plates under to raise the bar up, it just wasn't working and my form was suffering. I switched to bent over barbell rows - I am not struggling with form. Once I up my weight to get the bar at proper height I may go back to P rows.

I think next time I'll try the plate stacking idea (actually, I'm going to try aerobic steps which are plentiful in my gym and much faster to move around) to elevate just the bar. If that still doesn't feel right, then I might switch to bent over rows as well.

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP 5 day today, on not nearly enough sleep.
    45 lbs x 5, 55 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x6 deload because of 2 weeks off.
    5x8 ohp 45 lbs superset with assisted pullups
    then dumbbell rows 20 lbs 5x8 and finally 5x5 45 lbs hanging clean. My upper back has been feeling it all day

Lunch I got 5k run in. First time in quite a while so I was expecting and was pretty slow. Oh well, I need to find my groove with that again.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Second go at workout A today, having the same issue as others figuring out proper form on the rows. We're on a one week trial pass right now, but when we actually join I get a consult with.a trainer - gonna have them actually show me. Did real squats in the power rack, though! Hubs said I was getting low enough, but didn't quite feel like it to me... was definitely better than last time though!

Squats 5x5 @95 lbs
    Bench 5/5/5/5/3 @70 lbs
    Row 5/5/5/5/4 @80 lbs
    Assisted pull-ups 5/3/3 w/100 lb assist
    Crunches
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Rows have always been a struggle for me as well. I've done bent over ones but can't go quite as heavy as pendlay but struggle at 100 or so with pendlay. Plus stacking the plates is a minor nuisance each time. Wish I could do 135 on those but not close yet.

Day off from work and went to the gym late just to avoid any crowds. It actually went pretty well. Tuesday nights are busier than the other nights I have lifted but this time I didn't have to wait around for anything. Still awkward doing hip thrusts near the dumbbells when there are more people around but managed to get them done.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 135 - these felt pretty good

ohp 1x3 @ 75, 1x5 + 1x4 + 1x5 @ 70 - struggled but got a couple more at 75. Seeing a de-load in the future.

deadlift 1x5 @ 135 warm up then 1x5 @ 175 - heavy but felt better than the previous ones

Accessories:
    leg press 3x8 @ 200 - decided to increase and that was kinda heavy

good morning 3x10 @ 55 - regular weight so easy enough, back to using squat rack instead of cleaning the bar

rdl 3x10 @ 90 - heavy but managed
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 80 - heavy and awkward

I get tomorrow off too, which is unusual for me, so I'm going to enjoy sleeping in and such. No jog or anything tomorrow. Just getting caught up with online stuffs and maybe some writing.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Well, my workouts keep getting lousier by the day, but here it is anyway:

tried to jump rope. Kept stumbling. Shoulder wasn,t too bad but not doing it for a month really broke my technique more than i talready was.

Shoulder rehab exercises with the tiny yellow band - takes forever to get to 20 reps on each set, kinda hurts, no actual challenge in doing it aside from bearing with the uncomfortability of my poor arm. Had told myself I wouldn't do rehab stuff at the gym anymore but it was hurting from the get go and I wanted to see if this would help. It kinda did and didn't...

Unilateral leg press (1 leg at a time, so weight is per side) 45x10, 90x12, 135x12, 145x12, 155x2x12
    I like this cuz I gotta engage my abs here too. And hey look at all the weight I can move! Highlight of my morning here

seated v-handle rows (2 arms at a time)
    10x15, 25x15, 40x2x15, 40x20
    absolutely no strain here, either. But I can't go too high. Maybe I shouldn't have done it at all. Didn't hurt while i was doing it, but now my shoulder is all inflamed :|

ab crunch machine 75x15, 90x15, 105x15
    sprinkled in a set of 15 bw bulgarian split squats per side between these

And I was just done.

I swear once I'm back to normal I'm gonna have to start back with the bar again on BP and OHP -_-' Maybe I'll run 5x5 for a bit to build back my base *sighs*

So done with this week already