AUGUST Challenge

Options

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am BACK, and setting my August goals!

I plan to continue doing the TDEE with cut along with the 8 hour diet and see what happens!
    I am going to start with a weights routine with my 5 lb ankle/wrist weights and graduate to 10 lb weights
    Seriously bring reiki back into my life on a daily basis. (I have been hit and miss and I miss the benefits)
    Just saw Rebas post above mine and I also need to commit to the water intake! 8 glasses for me
    Do my daily journaling!
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends, Today has started out well. Have made my food plan for the day, I also found a step counter so I "hooked" it to my pants. I still need to purchase the fit bit : (

GOALS FOR AUGUST ~~~
    Plan my food log the day before (ex. 8/4/15 will be planned tonite).

Excercise 30 minutes/day even if it is walking in place, also if I'm working then take a walk before leaving work & time myself for 30 minutes.

I am going to look into the Wellness/Fitness center here at the hospital, I was thinking yesterday and sharing with my fellow nurses, "how crazy is this, I'm looking for a gym, I was paying somebody for packaged foods, trying to find a dietican" When right here in the Hospital is a service that will PAY ME if I lose weight.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day, inaddition to other liquids. Have a great day everyone!!

Let's be WINNERS in WEIGHT LOSS this month <3
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    wandakc wrote: »

I am going to look into the Wellness/Fitness center here at the hospital, I was thinking yesterday and sharing with my fellow nurses, "how crazy is this, I'm looking for a gym, I was paying somebody for packaged foods, trying to find a dietican" When right here in the Hospital is a service that will PAY ME if I lose weight.

Wanda that is awesome. Love it when employer's pay for employees to be more healthy. And it is all at work, you don't have to stop off somewhere else etc. Makes it easy peasy.

• retirehappy
    Options
    jeanmrob wrote: »
    Hi everyone ....my challenge for August is to come here more!!! I have been neglectful but still maintaining at goal so feeling good about things
    Jean x

Been missing you, welcome back. And don't forget to drink your water :wink:

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I am changing my August goals to up the lbs lost for August as I want to reach my ultimate goal by July 11, 2016.
    So here are the new ones:

August Goals 8/2/15
    used exactly the same goals here
    *I want to see at least a 6.3 lb decrease on my scale on Aug 31st!
    *Drink 13 glasses of water / day
    *Kitchen closes at 9:00 for me
    *Follow Paleo totally everyday
    *Plan menu's on Fridays
    *Declutter the office - completely
    *Upper body strength training every other day
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    August: Get back on track and break my low of 143. I keep hovering over it. I'm at 148 today! But that was after a weekend of 26 hours at the Irish festival with lots of fair food and Guinness. I have a birthday dinner at Unos for the ex this evening (yes, I am going to eat two slices of deep dish primo pepperoni pizza.) I'm going easy today, but I still will be over and not much time for exercise either.

Oh, I haven't been very good with my dumbbells either. 2x a week. I have really let summer take control. Time to take it back! @retirehappy Thanks for the stand-up core workout. I have positional vertigo, so I can't do floor exercises. I have been doing the first two exercises in this workout, but not the last two. I will add them.

I did good last month with leaving the bite on the plate. I ended up doing that enough that I don't have to think about it now at most meals.
  • lew0017
    lew0017 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My husband has positional vertigo, hard to live with sometimes. I have been doing nothing but floor exercises due to a leg injury. Whatever works as long as we keep going. :)
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Happy Wonderful Wednesday B)
    And I pray that each of you will have a wonderful Wednesday

It is so good to be back with this group. So why do I leave????

I haven't started my upper body strength exercising. Does anyone know of any exercises I can use? Or is there any help for this somewhere? There is not a gym available to me.

• Sandie4health
    Sandie4health Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this group and am so happy you are here. I need to commit to a challenge to help get and keep myself on track. Because I haven't been doing so for a very long time now, I am going to commit to tracking my exercise and food on MFP each day, beginning today and going through the end of the month. Thanks for setting up this thread. The thread itself and others' posts are going to help a lot. Best of luck, everyone!
  • lew0017
    Options
    Hi Sandie, so good to have you here!
  • lew0017
    edited August 2015
    Options

Rebamae wrote: »
    I haven't started my upper body strength exercising. Does anyone know of any exercises I can use? Or is there any help for this somewhere? There is not a gym available to me.

Do you have any weights, stretch bands or anything at home? If not you can always do yoga moves from videos on youtube, or Pilates, or just some body resistant workouts.
    Found this http://bottomlinehealth.com/strength-training-for-seniors-beginners-too-no-gym-needed/

• retirehappy
    Options
    Welcome Sandie and excellent self challenge, start logging, it teaches you so very much about what you are eating and how much you are moving.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    And I pray that each of you will have a wonderful Wednesday

It is so good to be back with this group. So why do I leave????

Try the Sit and Be Fit videos on youtube.

Basically any dumbell routine that works the shoulders, upper back, and torso can be done sitting down.

No dumbbells? Check the cupboard for 16 oz. cans, a gallon milk jug filled with water is 8 lbs., don't forget the 5 lbs of flour, sugar etc. bags in there as well. Kettleball substitute? Take any of those items in the cupboard and place them in a good canvas book bag, holding the handles together you can swing it like a kettlebell and it is easier on your hands as well. This is best done with lower weights, but it does work.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Reba, I have a series of exercises that I use with light dumbbells. I tried to attach the pdf of them, but couldn't. If you want to message me with your email, I will send them to you separately via email.

We can't attach pdf files? Only image files? Who knew? :o
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I use two phone apps for targeting areas. My favorites are Sworkit and Skimble Workout Trainer. They're free downloads.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I signed up for an free appointment at the gym with a fitness guru, in order to get me acquainted with some of the other machines and add some variety to my workout routine. These are all just kids, so I'm not expecting much, but it's worth a try.

Also changed my upcoming doc appt for my physical to next month. Hopefully I'll have better glucose numbers by then.

• retirehappy
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I signed up for an free appointment at the gym with a fitness guru, in order to get me acquainted with some of the other machines and add some variety to my workout routine. These are all just kids, so I'm not expecting much, but it's worth a try.

Also changed my upcoming doc appt for my physical to next month. Hopefully I'll have better glucose numbers by then.

Cris, If your gym is part of the Silver Sneakers programming. Instructors who teach those go through some great training on working with older adults. If you can get an appt. with one of them, if they have any, they will probably know what you should be doing and not doing.

That said of course, we have to look out for ourselves. Be prepared, know what you want to do and tell them.

Do you want to just burn fat, that is going to be lots of high reps with light weight dumbbells type stuff.

Or do you want to retain muscle that is going to involve machines with mid range reps and weight.
    Building muscle will require high weights and low reps.

If it is better cardiovascular health you want then that is going to be treadmill,or elliptical machines. I personally am totally over those, I will bundle up and walk in the snow before I do any more treadmill walking.

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did join up with Silver Sneakers--AFTER I signed up for the regular program for $7 a month.
    I talked to one of the people there about needing to beef up their new staff on the details of Silver Sneakers so that the old geezers can take advantage of it. :# I had no trouble switching over. But I'd asked about it up front; my insurance site pointed me to their site as a participant. And the guy just looked at me blankly as though he'd never heard of it. (Maybe he hadn't) There are a lot of older members there, so you'd think *ha* that they would have some kind of script or information for the employees to refer to when someone toddles in asking about it.

For now I want a balanced program of overall fitness: I am pretty unfit and I need to go easy.
    I did get an "orientation" tour of the machines when I first signed up, but I did not pay much attention because the doopty guy kept saying stuff like .. "oh this is for the pecs, you're not going to need that..." :p Oy.

I want to keep what little muscle tone I have. I want to not be prone to falls and I want to avoid knee injuries.
    Since I joined in May, I have been mostly riding 25-30 min on the stationary bike. I can see the difference in my thighs, and I feel better. But I'm ready for some other stuff. I did do some reps on both "thigh" machines today.

I hate the treadmill; the elliptical machine isn't much better. ZZZ. At least on the bike I can read a magazine or book.
    They have a couple of stairsteppers too. I used those back in the 80's and I liked it; it was one piece of equipment that I actually got hooked on. But these? Again, I need one of the pros to show me how to adjust it so I can actually use it. I'm heavy, and when I get on this thing, the pedals don't move; I fiddled with it but I couldn't adjust it. Then I can't start over; it's all programmed for me to work out.
    I sweated more trying to figure out how the damn thing works than I did actually stepping on it.
    I don't get it. I've seen other (FIT, THIN) women using them, and they are really sweating it. So. I guess this is option is not for me.

Also my routine is complicated by the fact that (besides being overweight and out of shape) I find it difficult to do more than 35 minutes of cardio, weak as it is, even on the stationary bike. It's hot here, and even with the AC and fan blowing on me, I get overheated. When i get overheated my blood sugar goes wonky and it's unpleasant.
    Some days are better than others; some days I have to FORCE myself to do 20 minutes, and I'm done. I just stop while I still feel good. I'm sure that is counterproductive but going for the burn does not work well for me.

So, slow and steady it is, and probably will be, forever.
    I started back with MFP in late January and I've lost 12 lbs.

It's boring and that's why I don't participate here much.

Oops, I did't mean to write an epistle.

o:)

• retirehappy
    Options
    Cris, if they offer the Silver Sneakers classic class, that is a great place to start out. A tad of cardio, resistance training through use of stretchy tubes & very light dumbbells, and a ball for finger agility, they sit in a chair for most of the class. That along with your home bike work should be a good starting place. But if you can do the machines, by all means go for it.

I was so out of shape when I retired, I started doing S.S. classes, classic and yoga, no machines. After a couple of months I had built up more confidence so, I started playing with my dumbbells, just a tad, the 3&5 lbs only. That made me a little more confident. I decided to by a Fitbit end of Jan. and that really motivated me. It has taken me almost a year, and I am finally starting a real strength building program with a trainer. I want more muscle, I want to eat more (I have given up all my other vices over the years, wine, cheeses, and chocolate are my drugs of choice now >:) ) I want to be able to stay at a decent weight, without having to loss a bunch of weight yet again a couple of years down the road.

I get the heat thing too, A/C & two fans blow on me when I work out at home with dbs and dvds.

I'm happy you got your membership sorted out as well. The S.S. classes usually have some regulars you might enjoy meeting as well, since many of them are working on similar goals.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I need to check out what "perks" I will get from my insurance if I join a Gym????

Good Night Everyone ;)