Carbs = an addiction?

Options
13»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'll leave it up to the experts to make the final call but as a layperson? I can't tell the difference between a drug addict and someone who abuses food. I have them all in my family: drug addicts, alcoholics and sick people who can't stop eating junk. They all know how bad it is, they all really, truly desperately want to change and almost all of them still abuse their substance of choice.

I think we've made a huge mistake putting an emphasis on the emotional aspects of overeating and ignoring the role the food itself plays.

ETA: From my own experience eating junk food (aka carbs) and smoking were exactly the same. I'd have the same feeling of well being while smoking/eating and then a gradual build up of needing/wanting to smoke/eat again for my next "fix". Over the years I needed ever increasing amounts to be satisfied and I worked my way up to a 2+ pack a day smoking habit and ever increasing, insane amounts of junk food and morbid obesity.

When enough was enough and I resolved to quit that was the same too. The same cravings, panicky feelings and anxiety. With cigarettes it became easier and easier over time. With junk food it got harder. I struggled every. single. day. for six months with cravings, food obsession and compulsions to eat and keep eating while eating a moderate carb, no junk food diet.

Within a month of eating a low carb diet all of that food obsession was just gone -- like someone flipped an off switch in my brain. It wasn't the only thing I need to do to gain control over my eating and come out the other side -- eating anytime, anywhere, anything habits needed to be changed as well -- but low carb plays a crucial role. And every time I indulge and eat high carb (holidays, special occasions) I'm prepared for the cravings and insatiable appetite that almost always follows so I don't relapse into old, bad habits.

I don't know if I'm an addict or not -- I don't think I am but I use some of the same strategies that addicts use to prevent me from abusing food.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'll leave it up to the experts to make the final call but as a layperson? I can't tell the difference between a drug addict and someone who abuses food. I have them all in my family: drug addicts, alcoholics and sick people who can't stop eating junk. They all know how bad it is, they all really, truly desperately want to change and almost all of them still abuse their substance of choice.

I think we've made a huge mistake putting an emphasis on the emotional aspects of overeating and ignoring the role the food itself plays.

I disagree. Although I agree that food macros make a hormonal impact. This is something one can change, that is within reach. Blaming the substance of abuse isn't improving anyone's life. The abuse itself still wrecks havoc. And I'd politely disagree that abuse IS an emotional response whether it has a physical manifestation or not.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    When a drop in blood sugar creates a hormonal surge to eat (carbs specifically) I'd say yes, it's an addiction. Retraining your body to settle for lowcarb foods, burning keytones, and having high carb food unavailable (not stocking it in your kitchen) are all reasons LCHF works.

I agree with the poster who said eating low carb over time lowers the background noise of carbs. It's all about habits, and humans are very habit driven, but reaching for the right foods and for food that don't cause more cravings when the insulin rush from storing excess sugar as fat floods your body, so yes, it's physiological too!

It's not just a mental or emotional thing when you consider the blood sugar/insulin responses in your body and then the high sugar drop and desire for more quick energy. Keeping blood sugar low and stable all day are vital. Eat carbs, raise blood sugar. It's logic.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in too. I find it hard to believe I had/have a food addiction, I need food to live.
    I don't have any problem saying I "abused" the hell out of food. For me I didn't care what I ate just as long as there was plenty of it.
    That's why I have soo much weight to lose.
    I can honestly say I don't have "withdraw" because I still eat. LCHF
    I did have a definite aha moment, where I knew I had to make a drastic change, but not the usual "rock bottom" event.
    I quit smoking about 30 years ago, and that was hell on earth "cold turkey" talk about the "joneses". Nothing like a diet.
    I've done tons of other diets were I didn't have the will power to see them through. "fall of the wagon"
    I must be up to a nickle by now... I guess I can see both sides of this coin. ;)

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Within a month of eating a low carb diet all of that food obsession was just gone -- like someone flipped an off switch in my brain.

I think it took longer than a month for me, but I also feel like a switch has been flipped. Some of my triggers have lost their power, which I frankly find amazing. But I don't push my luck.

I did a little experiment recently. I was full. No desire at all for food. Then I intentionally ate something that I found mildly addictive (cocoa-dusted almonds). I went back for seconds. So the fullness was enough to prevent cravings, but eating the addictive food was enough to trigger a craving for MORE.

But I was able to stop with almost no effort. For me, I think the problem is that some foods are just a quick and easy source of pleasure. A distraction from less pleasant tasks. The path of least resistance. And a path that makes you fat if you take it too often.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There was a philosophy professor that had a class full of young students. He started the first class by asking a simple question:
    "If a tree falls in a remote forest, does it make a sound?"

One by one the students debated this topic, half the class said it didn't make a sound and the other half stated that it did. They debated for a couple hours. Then one bright student stood up and ask the professor to define the word, "Sound".

The Professor defined the word sound, "vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear."

The debate was over. Since the forest was remote, there were no people to "hear" the tree falling. Therefore the tree did not make a sound when it fell.

Moral of the story, "Define your terms before debating". This will cut to chase the debate.

Now to the original post. Definition of the word, "Addicted":
    ad·dict·ed əˈdiktəd/ adjective
    physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
    "she became addicted to alcohol and diet pills"
    synonyms: dependent on; More enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.
    "he's addicted to computers"
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to; source: Google

Carbs are an addiction by the definition of the word. You will feel adverse effects when you stop eating them ~ if your addicted to them. I also state, its more than mental, its physical. There are hormones that cause the cravings, Wab can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're called Gherlin? (or something like that).

Since the title of this post is: "Carbs = an addiction?" I think I answered that.

And I think that maybe a better question would be, "How can I handle my addiction to carbs?"

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Recovering Carboholic
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. exercise program
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Within a month of eating a low carb diet all of that food obsession was just gone -- like someone flipped an off switch in my brain.

I think it took longer than a month for me, but I also feel like a switch has been flipped. Some of my triggers have lost their power, which I frankly find amazing. But I don't push my luck.

I did a little experiment recently. I was full. No desire at all for food. Then I intentionally ate something that I found mildly addictive (cocoa-dusted almonds). I went back for seconds. So the fullness was enough to prevent cravings, but eating the addictive food was enough to trigger a craving for MORE.

But I was able to stop with almost no effort. For me, I think the problem is that some foods are just a quick and easy source of pleasure. A distraction from less pleasant tasks. The path of least resistance. And a path that makes you fat if you take it too often.

The 30 day flipping an off switch effect sums up my experience when I finally got fed up and quit carbs cold turkey that my physical cravings for carbs stopped. It was like another 90 days before my mental addiction like cravings started to fade. Like I could remember what a lemon icebox pie tasted like and I want some. 6 months later I do not typically have a physical or mental craving for food that is going to cause me joint pain.

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was addicted to carbs, but now I am not so sure because I am not dependent on eating them, have given them up for long periods without physical or mental anguish, and only had positive effects that I am aware of. I used to crave them like mad and binge eat and generally overeat. That was when I ate the SAD, HCLF, and high protein. Eating LCHF seems to have taken the addiction aspect away for me.

I would describe myself as using some of the synonyms such as passionate about or enamored of certain carbohydrates. But I see these as a choice not an addiction.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have what I imagine to be a mild addictive type of relationship with carbs. When I had some, I wanted more within a pretty short order of time. If I couldn't get any I got migraines, the shakes, cranky and lightheaded. I had to eat every 2-3 hours, right up to bed time or I felt poorly. When I went lower carb (150g/day), I had the initial poor feelings, but the headache and fatigue lasted longer, and then I switched to keto and it got more intense for a few days. It may just have been the switch to ketosis but I don't think that is it.

I'm a celiac and I gave up gluten a few years ago. When I went GF I had a huge migraine for well over a week, was tired, cranky and week... the same as what I experienced when I went vLCHF. I was anything BUT low carb back when I went GF because I was proving to myself that I wasn't missing out; candies, pop, baked goods, and pretzels were daily foods for me.

Withdrawal from gluten is not at all unusual. It's known among well read celiacs that giving up something (a food) that is not good for you can cause a withdrawal, so I wasn't surprised when it happened again when I cut my sugars down to almost nothing, and my carbs pretty low.

I'm not sure if my carb issue is an addiction, chemical withdrawal, prediabetic blood sugar madness, or whatever, but it was definitely something - for me. And I know it was more than a craving. I still crave a cola sometimes but being many weeks away from having one it is not hard to ignore that craving unlike when I hadn't had my carbs for 3 hours. KWIM?

Kudos to you Angie for owning it and moving one. That's pretty impressive. :)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I ate some Cliff Blox before riding. Almost pure carbs. That was 100 calorie servings x2. Burnt 5 times that riding.

No carb cravings. I did have a 12 ounce steak for dinner.

It seems elevated sugar carbs not being used, they start the cravings. When I'm exercising it off it never happens

Idk...

I don't eat doughnuts for a snack. That would get me wanting more.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a very bad relationship with carbs.

I don't tell many people this as it's embarrassing, but for the first 5 weeks of using MFP I made lunch for my kids and locked all the food in the garage and made my partner take the key with him to work. I would shake and sweat and and tried to break in a few times.

Definitely disordered eating. I don't know about addiction.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @minties82 I am like you about the validity of the term 'addiction' as it relates to carb abuse. I left them cold turkey when tapering off did not work. It was a very hellish two weeks and by week 5 the cravings had pretty much faded. No more getting up in the middle of the night to drive to a drink machine to get a Coke was required. :)
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I recently had an "addicting" experience myself. I allowed myself to indulge in chips and cookies once night, after being "good" for many weeks. THe next day I was totally craving again --- I wanted to stuff my face with more chips and cookies, it was nuts! I managed to stay on track after 24 hours but it was difficult. Couldn't believe how little it took.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Came across this excellent article today and it reminded me of this conversation. http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-overcome-food-addiction/

While I get that carbs are not an addiction to everyone, I can say they are for me and I have to cut sugar especially out of my life (potatoes too) or I'm seemingly helpless regarding them.

Will this change in the future? Hopefully.