paleo mayo

Options
bluefish86
bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
So I made a whole batch of paleo mayonnaise last week and I don't know what to do with it all!

Any idea/recipes?

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Salad Dressings. Veggie dips. Theclothesmakesthegirl has a lot of good ones (linked at the bottom of this post are some examples - we love the Creamy Italian dressing)
    http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Tuna/Salmon/Chicken salad on top of greens. Flavour your mayo with garlic & spices/herbs of your preference and use on top of eggs, meats, etc.

Hope that helps you get started!
  • kerriez24
    kerriez24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of broccoli slaw using the recipe in Against All Grain. The dressing is really good, though I do add horseradish and extra mustard as I like it a bit spicy.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad etc.
  • Kramer012
    Kramer012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS CHICKEN SALAD.. http://paleoleap.com/chicken-grape-salad/
    It uses Paleo mayo and is better than regular chicken salad. It's amazing!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    salad dressing - I usually combine paleo mayo with ginger and lemon and buzz it with a little blender and wala! Great and fresh tasting over salmon & spinach. Also tuna salad, chicken salad, or as a sauce base
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    OK, I am a very experienced cook and have been cooking since I was about 12.

I have tried to make the Paleo Mayo twice and it was a total bust both times. Any suggestions and helpful hints would be very appreciated!!
  • smallfries78
    smallfries78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rebamae wrote: »
    OK, I am a very experienced cook and have been cooking since I was about 12.

I have tried to make the Paleo Mayo twice and it was a total bust both times. Any suggestions and helpful hints would be very appreciated!!
    what recipe did you follow?

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Rebamae wrote: »

It's basically just 3 ingredients... egg yolk, mustard and oil. The technique is where a lot of people run into problems... if you're making it in a tradition blender or food processor, you need to add the oil in super-slowly. I prefer the method using an immersion blender because it's more-or-less fool proof, easier to clean up and I can make it in whatever jar I'm using to store it in.
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    While I have never had a problem making paleo mayo I never know what to do with all of it unless we are having company where I can make something like chicken salad. My husband will not give up his Duke's mayonnaise :smiley: so if I just need paleo mayo for occasional use I buy Primal Kitchen's mayo. It is pretty tasty and keeps well in the fridge.
  • kjwalker2014
    kjwalker2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make mayo all the time and have only messed it up once - didn't emulsify the egg long enough before adding oil - but I saved it. I don't know where the strict myths have come from about using a room temperature egg and adding the oil ever so slowly...but I have not once done this. I use an egg straight out of the fridge and I dump the oil in in big quarter cup glugs. I also don't understand why some people use only yolks and others like myself use the whole egg. Anyone know?

As far as what to do with it, I parrot the suggestion to make dips and dressings. There is never wasted mayo in my house!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make mayo all the time and have only messed it up once - didn't emulsify the egg long enough before adding oil - but I saved it. I don't know where the strict myths have come from about using a room temperature egg and adding the oil ever so slowly...but I have not once done this. I use an egg straight out of the fridge and I dump the oil in in big quarter cup glugs. I also don't understand why some people use only yolks and others like myself use the whole egg. Anyone know?

As far as what to do with it, I parrot the suggestion to make dips and dressings. There is never wasted mayo in my house!

I make mayo all the time too. The difference between whole egg and using yolks is the yolk method comes out stiffer and the whole egg more loose in my experience. I modified the recipe for stick blender mayo and use 1 whole egg plus 3 yolks and make it in a big mason jar to make a larger batch. I used to do blender method and I did ruin a few batches before, and sometimes I think it is the eggs. I ruined a batch last month using the exact same stick blender method and ingredients...so IDK. Some eggs may not be good for it?

My basic recipe is:
    1 whole egg, plus 3 yolks
    1 T. ACV
    1 T. Organic Lemon Juice (taste is different)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Put all in a quart mason jar and then add oil About 2 cups, so there is still plenty of room for mixing. Place the stick blender in the bottom and blend until it starts forming mayo, then slowly start moving the stick blender up, and around if needed to get all the oil in. That's it! I do use it to make dips and dressings as well!